Talk

Advanced search

How to dress for my changed figure?!

(12 Posts)
ALittleStormCloud Wed 24-Aug-16 13:03:28

Hi all smile

I've recently lost a lot of weight; going from about a size 24/26 to a 6/8 depending on the shop. The problem is I have NO idea what to wear. When I was big, I just lived in jeans, plain tops and cardigans and I'm really just doing the same things now. The only difference is the sizes have changed! I really want to have more of a style.

I haven't got a huge amount of money but am more than happy to buy things from eBay, I just don't really know what kind of stuff I should be looking for (or what would suit me, since I really just dressed to hide my body).

I'm fair-skinned, blonde, and short.
I have some sensory issues that mean I'm not comfortable with very tight clothes, and I have extensive scarring on my arms and legs that I need to keep covered :/ So my options are a little limited already!

If anyone has any ideas, please help me out! Thanks smile

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 24-Aug-16 14:21:30

Wow congratulations, that is an amazing achievement!

You don't mention how tall you are but assuming you're a fairly average size then your choice is enormous!

Personally I would try to develop your style slowly rather than going for a complete overhaul and possibly making some mistakes. Loads of us live in jeans, t-shirts and cardies and for a day-to-day outfit it's hard to beat.

There's a thing called Dressipi where you can type in your details and it starts coming up with ideas of outfits to suit you (broken down into dresses, trousers etc) , you get a fair amount of tut but some things might appeal to you. You're able to refine it by ticking whether you like something or not.

Otherwise I'd pick a brand I like (I love Mango) and just keep an eye on what's on their website, I don't like things like Asos as there is just so much on there it's overwhelming but if you look at the sale bit on, say, Mango you can start building a wardrobe slowly.

Does that help at all?

ALittleStormCloud Wed 24-Aug-16 15:01:01

Thank you, that's really helpful! I'd never heard of Dressipi, so will have a look at that smile

I'm about 5'4, so on the short side unfortunately but very happy in heels.

Keeping an eye on websites is a great idea, I have no idea why that didn't occur to me. I do like Mango, but from looking at their size guide they seem to be on the larger size for bottoms which I struggle with as my hips are quite small. Most of my current stuff is from H&M or Topshop as they seem to cater quite well for my body shape.

I think a lot of my problem is I'm scared of looking silly - I really like the shorter length cigar style jeans, but I always feel like people will look at me think I'm trying too hard (you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is how I think about myself). Even though I'd never think that about anyone else!

peripateticparents Wed 24-Aug-16 15:10:00

Storm cloud, firstly, congratulations! ... Wrt clothes, have a look at the Trinny & Susannah or gok wan books (they'll be at the library if you don't want to buy anything).. The actual clothes in them will be not current fashion, but they show you how to dress for the shape you are (eg hourglass, pear, Apple etc)....

Lorelei76 Wed 24-Aug-16 15:18:05

sorry but I have to ask - how did you do that and do you have some inspiration to share?

well done

you can pretty much wear whatever you like now!

ALittleStormCloud Wed 24-Aug-16 15:51:43

Thank you both, I'll definitely check out Gok - I used to love his TV show and Amazon will probably have his books for a penny! I'll have a look for Trinny and Susannah as well smile

I'm a rectangle-ish shape apparently according to a couple of measurement calculators I used.

Lorelei - to be honest, just diet and exercise and a side of self-loathing helps immensely. I guess the secret is just sticking with it. I didn't do Slimming World or anything like that, just counted calories very strictly, and exercised a fair bit every day.
Eating wholefoods (I'm vegetarian anyway) rather than replacing things with 'diet' versions helps, I'd much rather eat a huge bowl of salad and an egg white for 100 calories for lunch instead of a 'diet' chocolate bar. I'm supposed to be trying to work on maintenance now but am considering losing more.

Lorelei76 Wed 24-Aug-16 19:21:56

OP I'm impressed and inspired
To me at that size and shape you could wear whatever you feel like but some department stores do a free styling session if that appeals
I'm guessing you were on a very low cal diet given your lunch example?
Sorry I'm trying to lose at the moment too and have never dared hope I could be sure 8 again but maybe I can.

AmberNectarine Wed 24-Aug-16 20:59:55

I'm the same size as you OP and I can and do wear pretty much anything - crop tops, shorts etc.

It has taken me a long time to get here - I lost almost 5st 9y ago and until a few years ago I was still picking up 14s and trying to hide in baggy stuff.

It's hard to go too wrong in skinny jeans, a silk shirt and some nice footwear - probably less intimidating than a bodycon dress at this stage!

AmberNectarine Wed 24-Aug-16 21:01:18

Also OP, I doubt you need to lose more - my BMI is under 20 and I am 5ft5, so I reckon you're much the same.

myknickersknackersknockers Wed 24-Aug-16 21:02:23

Id look at lots of different websites or even Pinterest and make an album of looks that you actually like. Then go shopping, with a friend if possible and try on loads of different outfits. No doubt some will suit you and some won't but it will give you an idea of what you can wear. Try on things you wouldn't normally wear as you could be surprised. Take some mirror selfies and then decide which items you like best and what actually works together. Enjoy your new body and have fun with some new outfits smile

ALittleStormCloud Wed 24-Aug-16 22:09:35

Thank you all!

Lorelei - yes, quite a low calorie diet. Really, the best advice I can give is to eat healthily, exercise, and make sure you get enough protein. I eat lots of veggies which are obviously filling and good for you. If you stick with it, I'm sure you'll achieve what you want to smile

Amber - Oh gosh, I could NEVER wear crop tops and shorts! I bet you look amazing! I have lots and lots of scars that I have to keep covered and honestly, I'd never have the confidence to wear anything particularly revealing anyway. I'd love to wear skinny jeans but they're too tight for me annoyingly. I do still see myself as a lot bigger than my BMI says I am. I'm in the BMI 18's at the minute, but I think dropping another few pounds might make me feel a bit better smile

Knickers - Pinterest, fab idea. I use it all the time for recipes anyway, I'll definitely have a search on there and see what I come up with. I don't have anyone to shop with, but hopefully getting some good ideas online will help.

You've all been a great help, thanks so much.

NewBallsPlease00 Thu 25-Aug-16 01:08:56

Go to self ridges or john Lewis if one near you and book a personal shopper
Explain this is new, you won't be likely to purchase much, if anything today but will come back after digested all
When they dress you you will know instantly what's what for you
A good ps will stick to budget so you might say I've &100 and need an every day outfit but also want ideas for work/evening etc
Go for quality over volume
You can easily add volume yourself as you gain confidence it fit cut colour etc
Enjoy and congrats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now