Talk

Advanced search

How can hair be greasy and frizzy at the same time?! Help!

(14 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 24-Aug-16 09:22:28

As above! My hair is awful and getting worse. I'm 9 months post partum and its at peak of its fall out. It's fine anyway and now is just lank. It's greasy yet frizzy and flyaway. What on earth can I do? It's currently shoulder length, I've tried so many different cuts and lengths and am now at the conclusion it has to be long. It looks horrific down but I suit it being tied up. I wish I could wear it down but it's so grim. Can anyone help me? Shampoo/conditioner ideas? Cut ideas? Help!

HeyMacWey Wed 24-Aug-16 09:28:35

Aussie miracle shine (I think it's that one) is good for oily hair.

I don't use conditioner but when hair is towel dried I use a 10 in one product on lengths and ends and then style. Currently using got to be 10 in one all star styling treatment. Only use one pump instead of the four they recommend. I have long layered hair, no fringe.

I find the oiliness can be put off for a day when my hair is properly styled as it's lifted off my scalp.

At night time on day two I put dry shampoo in before I go to bed and this helps for a final day.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 24-Aug-16 09:30:44

How long do you go between washes? I've debated an oily hair shampoo but worry as its frizzy and dry in places it might exasperate that?! I've never heard of a 10in1 product before. I don't go to the shops much

duskonthelawn Wed 24-Aug-16 09:31:39

Mine is the same sad. And it's really fine but there's SO MUCH OF IT.
Only way I can control it is to not put conditioner anywhere near the roots, literally just the ends. I use this for the ends- www.garnier.co.uk/hair-care/beauty/ultimate-blends/the-sleek-restorer/sleek-restorer-balm-300ml
and the oatmeal shampoo. I used to be a massive fan of Inecto but that's stopped working for me now. Also dry shampoo as a quick fix in between washes, it's not ideal but it helps with excess oil (only do the roots though otherwise it frizzes it up even more)
Also buy this to put on before i blow dry- us.davines.com/oi-absolute-beautifying-potion/d/1196C9118 which really does work wonders and you only need two drops for long hair.
And I get my hair thinned out as much as possible, as regularly as possible.

Patterkiller Wed 24-Aug-16 09:33:09

My hair is much the same, sorry not much help. I wash daily but only the roots and condition the very ends and do it again if going out in the evening. My sister has the same problem, greasy after 6 hours but dry ends no matter what cut or styling regime.

HeyMacWey Wed 24-Aug-16 09:34:30

I tend to hair wash roughly every three days.
I find the product helps to thicken my hair up a bit and give it some body as it's so fine and flat normally.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 24-Aug-16 11:13:28

It sounds like you have combination hair so I would recommend a clear shampoo for greasy hair, Timotei Pure for greasy hair is good, or Tresemme deep clean shampoo. Wash really well in hot water, concentrating on roots. Then comb through an intensive conditioner on towel dried mid lengths and ends and leave for five mins. Pantene Hydra intense mask is very good.

Every week try a clarifying shampoo to rid your hair of build up. Vosene anti dandruff shampoo is ideal for this.

Before drying, smooth a little serum or dry oil through the ends to stop frizz.I recommend Elvive Extraordinary Oil.
Hormones after your baby will affect your hair, making it more greasy and unmanageable but this will settle down.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Aug-16 11:15:27

Pantene smooth and sleek followed by Extraordinary Oil.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 24-Aug-16 20:00:54

Some good ideas thanks. It's fine and there's not much of it but it's never been so crap! Hopefully it'll settle down but I thought it would've done by now sad

Cellardoor23 Wed 24-Aug-16 20:27:38

My hair has become increasingly greasy after having a baby too. I've always had combination hair but it's becoming ridiculous. I don't want to resort to washing my hair everyday but I think I'm going to have to. I've tried Paul Mitchel clarifying shampoo which another MNetter suggested on another thread and it's seems to have helped a little bit.

I'm using kukui oil serum on the ends of my hair at the moment which has helped to tame the frizz.

Cellardoor23 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:06:49

Meant to say i've heard volumising shampoo is supposed to help with fine oily hair so might be worth giving that a try.

HeyMacWey Thu 25-Aug-16 13:51:36

Just realised that is the aussie Mega shampoo that I've been using.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Thu 25-Aug-16 18:59:19

I've Been and raided boots today in the hope I can sort t out! And am debating, again, cutting all my hair off. But it looks so bad. But then it looks so bad anyway. Argh!

Ladybird08 Thu 25-Aug-16 21:58:27

Aussie mega shampoo and instant conditioner.
I have to wash my hair every day hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now