Talk

Advanced search

What am I doing wrong?

(12 Posts)
PhyllisWig Wed 24-Aug-16 07:48:05

A bit of a taat but on the threat about buying a new wardrobe each season, loads of people have said they keep clothes for years. How?

My clothes get wreaked in a few months. They fade, bobble, get out of shape and generally look shite. A lot of stuff is currently low end high street as I've lost a lot of weight and haven't wanted to spend much during this. However, other bits are not. I've had stuff from Jaeger/Hobbs/lk Bennett as well as mid range stuff like Boden and phase eight and that looks as shite as the stuff from new look and dotty ps.

I am now pretty much at target and am trying to build up a good wardrobe but am scared of spending too much of stuff which will look tatty in a couple of months.

DinosaursRoar Wed 24-Aug-16 07:55:16

How are you washing them? I've got stuff from oasis and top shop that has lasted 3/4 years.

Are you tumble drying stuff? Try line drying. Because we have lots of allergies in this family I use Persil non-bio and comfort pure, tend to only wash things on 40 degree or 30 gentle wash (including jumpers that say they can be washed at 40).

Gruach Wed 24-Aug-16 07:56:20

How are you looking after your clothes?

I agree it's not always a matter of the price you pay. In general I can wear my clothes until they literally fall apart, but one of the worst disasters was an Alexander Wang t shirt that did all the things you mention. (Just as the Gap things did.)

But you do have to be fairly scrupulous about following the laundering directions. (I read so often here of people throwing everything into the washing machine altogether - I would have no clothes at all if I did that.)

barefootbird Wed 24-Aug-16 08:10:47

Do you wash dedicates on a hand-wash/wool/silk cycle? I also use these and use decent washing powder and often wash at 30'. I never tumble dry my clothes as it beats the shit out of them, I have an airier and a dehumidifier instead.

Also have you got a good washing machine? When I lived at home my Mum had a top loader, it used eat clothes.

Floisme Wed 24-Aug-16 08:14:52

I'm the same, op. I've had some of my clothes for 30-40 years but nothing I buy these days wears well and I've come to the conclusion that all modern clothes are shite quality, no matter who sells them. So although I did go through a 'buy less, buy better' phase I've now ditched it. I'll still pay more if I like something and think I'll wear it a lot in a short space of time but I don't buy with the expectation that anything will last.

I'm not happy about it as I really don't like the ethics of disposable fashion but it feels as if the only choice is between expensive disposable and cheap disposable. It definitely helps.

However I do agree with the other posters about washing, in fact, the cheaper my clothes, the more carefully I wash them. I don't literally handwash cos I'm too lazy but loads of things go on the 'wool' or 'delicates' cycle, in pillowcases etc.

Floisme Wed 24-Aug-16 08:16:26

Ahem, I meant to put 'It definitely helps' at the end of the bit about washing - sorry.

whattheseithakasmean Wed 24-Aug-16 08:18:41

I've got stuff I've had for over 10 years - and I don't buy expensive!

I don't wash my clothes after every wear, only if they need it. I wear deo, not all clothes are next to your skin & not always worn for a full day. Don't wash for the sake of it - better for the environment

I use non-bio on all but sports wear - better for the environment too.

I always wash on 30 or 40 degrees.

I never tumble dry - I don't own a tumble drier.

That's it - thinking about it, I have bits and pieces I have owned for over 20 years....

KoalaDownUnder Wed 24-Aug-16 08:19:13

I agree with you that 'you get what you pay for' is mostly not true with clothes. Half the time, you pay for the label / trend factor, not the quality of materials or manufacture.

However, I wash everything on cold (using 'Cold Power' powder), and don't tumble dry. I think that helps.

burnishedsilver Wed 24-Aug-16 08:28:38

Ime polyester etc lasts better and washes better than natural fabrics like but I like cotton so I put up with it not lasting. I can't stand the feel of synthetics.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 24-Aug-16 08:40:09

I have a lot of clothes, therefore each item gets worn rarely, that's the main secret.

However I have noticed quite a big difference between brands (with some exceptions) - for example I agree that Phase Eight tends to fade, and items from low end high street are often shapeless and bobbled after first wash. But I have for example some Baukjen t-shirts that are several years old, that I've worn and washed and tumble dried a lot, and they look like new.

PhyllisWig Wed 24-Aug-16 14:24:36

Interesting, thanks all. We only got a tumble drier a few months ago and do line dry as much as weather permits. DH (in charge of laundry) doesn't tend to tumble dry my stuff anyway after a shrinking accident and only washes at 30/40 max. Admittedly he doesn't use the gentle cycle so maybe I can have a go at that. Don't wash after every wear either so it isn't that.

I think what gets me is that he wears his clothes into the ground. He keeps stuff for years and only replaces when it gets holes/too worn. Most of his clothes are from GAP/next/ fat face so about the same type of shop as me. Maybe they make clothes better for boys.

Floisme Wed 24-Aug-16 18:27:28

I've got stuff I've had for over 10 years - and I don't buy expensive!
I agree with you. The clothes I've had for years are fine. It's the recent buys that are really disappointing.

I used to really rate Jigsaw and Me and Em - pricey but worth it, I believed. Then I splashed out on a Jigsaw coat and within 2 years it had frayed at the cuffs. My 5 year-old Me and Em things are still going strong but there was a thread recently about their current stuff being poor.
Quality everywhere seems to have just fallen off a cliff in the last couple of years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now