We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm using a box dye...

(10 Posts)
Bigbongos123 Mon 22-Aug-16 20:24:56

For the first time. It's fucking everywhere. The bathroom. Me. Mostly on my head- I hope!

Now I'm sat here waiting for the 20 minutes to be up and starting to wonder wtf I was thinking.

I just cannot face salon prices anymore and there are no mobile hairdressers that are any good around here, so I chanced it. Now I'm cold and covered in hair dye and panicking about the outcome!

Tell me it's going to be okay! blush

0hCrepe Mon 22-Aug-16 20:51:30

It'll be fine! You need to be prepared to sacrifice a flannel to wipe off bits on your ears etc and a towel to keep on your shoulders. Just wipe up splatters while you're waiting. I prefer using a box to sitting in a salon for hours and paying a fortune.

Arkay Mon 22-Aug-16 21:08:20

It's going to be okay!

I used to spend a small fortune on my hair, and then I had a child, decided to be a SAHM, and so couldn't justify the expense any more. First time I used a box dye I was so worried. But it turned out far better than I was expecting and have done it every 5 weeks or so for the last 3 years. I now have my mum's old towels that I used to use when dying my hair as a teenager (25+ years ago)...we've laughed about them being the closest thing our family's got a heirlooms...

How is it looking?

Bigbongos123 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:20:40

Okay it's dry!

And actually. It's OK! I like the colour. But I don't think it's taken to the root as best as it could have done, maybe just practice there.

And the conditioner it came with smells so lovely!

Now.... I need to start doing my own nails but if I paint them it looks like child's 'art' and gets smudged and chipped instantly thanks to ... Well being a mum!

I need to ditch the expense of salon visits though... Will you all hold my hand while I try to figure this out?! I fear I'll never look as polished as I feel the salon gives me. Is it possible to do it all yourself (save, say waxing?) and still look good?

Bigbongos123 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:24:41

I sound like a dick. Salon visits where my only treat to myself! I feel hopeless when it comes to doing it all myself. grew up motherless

But circumstances are changing and I need to give them up.

0hCrepe Mon 22-Aug-16 21:30:58

I've never really had a lot of salon/beauty stuff so can't help with weaning off it but I think I scrub up ok and do my own nails etc. Just practise a lot. Prep your nails first- file into a nice shape and push back your cuticles and take your time. If some goes onto your skin don't do anything, wait until your nails are completely dry then it peels of easily. You tube might help with the technique!

Arkay Mon 22-Aug-16 21:33:55

Ah phew! Glad it turned out well. I use Loreal Creme Excellence and put on roots for 20 minutes, and then just 10 minutes for the rest.

I was never that well-groomed before becoming a mum, beyond expensive hair (used to have Brazilian blowouts as well as expensive colour) and regular pedicures. The hair's now regular box dyes and GHD straighteners (and a cut only about once a year), but I haven't even bothered to do my own toe nails! I did spend a small fortune getting legs/bikini and underarms lasered when I was young, free and single with a high disposable income, and whilst I shudder at the thought of how much it cost, I'm now glad I had all that done!

Good luck with your efforts. I think if the will is there, you'll find a way. smile

OlennasWimple Mon 22-Aug-16 21:34:29

Box dye is fine - as good as anything I've had done in a salon, anyway. Invest a couple of quid in a little brush thing (Superdrug do them, or just keep one if you buy a roots touch up kit), which will let you cover your roots without feeling like you're rubbing it into your scalp

Bigbongos123 Mon 22-Aug-16 22:13:37

Were not where. 🙄

Arkay this was Loreal too and it feels lovely. I think the 'block' colour will just take abit of getting used to. I often have high/low lights or something to give it an 'edge'. This brown is lovely and glossy though so I'm impressed for the grand total of £11 and about half an hour of my time! and the sacrifice of my white bathroom

This nail polish stuff is going to take much more practice though. Maybe I could buy a lamp and do my own gel? Probably getting ahead of myself now!

0hCrepe Mon 22-Aug-16 23:09:27

I got the sensational kit but what I found was a real pain was getting it off when it chipped. I prefer just wiping it off easily when it chips and redoing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now