Talk

Advanced search

Well that was a wierd facial.

(20 Posts)
bonzoed Mon 22-Aug-16 16:57:37

Just had a facial at a salon that I don't usually go to. It was very easy to get an appointment, the reason for which became apparent. I booked a Dermalogica Prescriptive Facial which I've had before so I had a good idea what to expect.

She didn't actually check my skin first, starting off blasting steam at my neck. I asked if it was supposed to be aimed at my neck and she said I should have told her earlier and aimed it vaguely at my face instead. Then whilst the steam was going she started massaging something into my face so I was imagining the open pores being clogged with something. Then she scraped my face which she said was the extractions.

That seemed to the entire facial as she then went on to a massage section - about 25 minutes of massaging my face in small circles, then she slid her fists under my head and massaged my neck, then she massaged my arms in an Indian massage style, went on to grab my ankles and pull them, and finally finished with a manoeuvre that felt like she was trying to prize my skull open - this bit was apparently reiki!

Into the bargain, I lost an earring, thankfully a cheap one.

Now, it's been a long time since I had a Dermologica Prescriptive Facial but I'm sure it wasn't like this. I bet I have spots in 2 days time too!

Anyone else have any weird experiences, or can reassure me that what I experienced was normal (long shot!)

rightknockered Mon 22-Aug-16 17:02:55

Sorry op, this made me snigger
Really hope you don't get spots, and I'd get my money back if I were you

HippyChickMama Mon 22-Aug-16 17:06:16

Sorry but this made me laugh! Are you sure she wasn't an imposter? Like that episode of Friends where Ross massages Phoebe's client with salad spoons!

Imgrr Mon 22-Aug-16 17:09:59

It sounds awful, I'd go somewhere else next time.

bonzoed Mon 22-Aug-16 17:16:20

I've been there once before to have a manicure when the manager did it. She was lovely. This time, the owner was there (a lady in her mid 50s) and I was 'treated' by another lady of a similar age. I reckon the manager was on holiday and the lady I had was the owner's friend. They were both struggling with the computer in a farcical way. What's annoying is that as soon as the steam thing went on before she even examined my face I considered getting up but I bottled it.

My usual salon is always booked 3 weeks in advance. I can't plan that far ahead. Today's salon is in a prime location so this lack of expertise must be why I could get an appointment at such short notice.

Lorelei76 Mon 22-Aug-16 17:19:23

Complain and get a refund.
Slightly alarmed by the scraping!

Onenerfwarfrombreakdown Mon 22-Aug-16 17:26:59

Sounds appalling and unprofessional. I would go back, explain they didn't follow the Dermalogica facial protocol and ask for a refund.

If they are arsed, you could threaten to dob them into Dermalogica themselves as they wont be happy about having non-trained people pretending to be accredited therapists.

Onenerfwarfrombreakdown Mon 22-Aug-16 17:27:28

*arsey not arsed damn phone.

bonzoed Mon 22-Aug-16 18:23:35

Coward that I am, I've just sent an email asking what type of facial I received with a précis of what I experienced.

The most they'll do is offer me a discount off a future treatment which I would not take up anyway. My face, neck and arms are ridiculously oily. I dread to think how spotty I'm going to be.

Lorelei76 Mon 22-Aug-16 19:35:04

How do you know that's the most they will do?

SerenDippitee Mon 22-Aug-16 19:44:19

I'd also grass them up to dermalogica...

Yerazig Mon 22-Aug-16 19:48:01

I remember in turkey getting a massage. Being asked to turn on my back and then getting my beast massaged. Till this day I'm still not sure if that was the correct method or not.

JinkxMonsoon Mon 22-Aug-16 19:51:31

I thought the point of reiki was that they don't touch you? Either way, it's woo bollocks and I'd be miffed for having it inflicted upon me!

Queenbean Mon 22-Aug-16 19:53:16

Being asked to turn on my back and then getting my beast massaged.

I really hope this isn't a typo and is a euphemism!

Yerazig, I also had a Turkish massage in Turkey where they spent a good few minutes massaging my boobs and I'm still not sure that was quite right! So either that's how they're supposed to to it, or we both had ours done by a bit of a pervert!

BennyTheBall Mon 22-Aug-16 19:59:16

I have had this facial a couple of times and, whilst it's definitely quite invasive, it did not bear much resemblance to your experience.

Yerazig Mon 22-Aug-16 21:02:19

Whoops Meant Breast*

wibblywobbler Sat 27-Aug-16 01:13:36

I thought the point of reiki was that they don't touch you? Either way, it's woo bollocks and I'd be miffed for having it inflicted upon me!

Reiki can be hands on or hands off. It's not woo though as I have benefited massively from it despite having no expectations and a massive dose of cynicism at the beginning

MarksandSpencerfoodjunkie Sat 27-Aug-16 06:57:06

I would speak to Dermalogica - my aunt was one of the first in the uk to train with their products back in the late 80s/early 90s. That was not a prescription facial

Ladybird08 Sat 27-Aug-16 12:00:24

I had a massage in Turkey and yes that included my breasts 😯.
Asked my DSIL about it when we come home as she is a beauty therapist and she said it's quite usual for Turkish therapists to massage like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now