Talk

Advanced search

Goyard tote?

(9 Posts)
TheArtistFormerlyKnownAs Sun 21-Aug-16 18:24:30

I have a big birthday coming up and I'd like to splash out on a bag. I keep admiring the Goyard tote when I see it, especially with monogram/ personalization. But I'm not really up on the latest trends or brand "identities," IYSWIM. So what type of person do you associate with a Goyard tote? I'm a SAHM, usually very casually dressed, and I don't want it to look incongruous or out of place. I would probably get a random color like orange or green or something, if that matters.

Thanks for any responses!

botemp Sun 21-Aug-16 18:57:24

To me it says someone stylish (usually) with an understated elegance, who knows their bags and doesn't like the showiness of a Louis Vuitton. Usually French or Japanese, editorial tastes.

It's really a niche brand that most won't know of, which I kind of appreciate about it but I would caution that if you care about that sort of thing, many not in the know will simply write it of as a 'cheap' LV lookalike type bag.

They're also quite a statement so require everything else about you to be quite understated so they're not as versatile as you'd expect. I like it best in yellow but I'd have a real hard time fitting it into my wardrobe.

I don't really know what they're retailing for these days but if memory serves they are quite highly priced for what they are, the Givenchy Antigona Shopper and the Celine Cabas Phantom have a similar understated feel but come in at around the same price or far lower.

However, I'm always of mind that if you see a bag and love it and it suits you, don't worry too much about what it 'says' to the outside world. If it brings a great big smile every time you see it that's all that matters.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 21-Aug-16 19:00:48

It is a very practical daytime/beach type bag to me. Similar to the LV neverfull but more £££ and less obvious.

botemp Sun 21-Aug-16 19:18:33

Forgot to add, if you want something similar and slightly more obscure at about 2/3 - 1/2 the price (dependant on colour) look into Fauré Le Page bags. Also coated canvas totes with interesting pattern, colour, customisations, etc.

aniceearlynight Sun 21-Aug-16 20:24:03

My next-door-neighbour has a green one and uses it every day - to go to the supermarket to the gym, to work. I think that's exactly the right way to use it but have to confess that if it was me I'd probably have it wrapped up in tissue paper in my wardrobe and only bring it out ever so often! I think it's gorgeous, chic and understated but it's very unstructured and is only coated canvas so you'd probably have to baby it a little bit, be careful of the corners etc. I agree with Botemp in that it's expensive when you consider certain (leather) alternatives. Have you seen the Goyard Belvedere cross body satchel? A woman in my pilates class has a grey one with bright pink monogramming and I lie there gazing longingly at it every single week!

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAs Mon 22-Aug-16 10:45:58

Do you people work for Goyard?? grin. Now I want it SO badly, although I will check out the other suggestions too!

elliefredericksen Mon 22-Aug-16 11:59:45

I'd love one too OP, I think they are a more unusual and niche version of the LV neverfull (which I wouldn't say no too either!), and worn by women who like more understated, but no less high end brands. See the instagram accounts astylealbum, and tashsefton for the sort of look I mean, they both have them.

BUT, I have seen them, and I'm not convinced of the price v quality. They are just quite thin coated canvas and if I'm honest, Orla Kiely or even Cath Kidston coated canvas bags are far superior - quality wise, I'm not suggesting them remotely as an alternative, completely different look.

Also, don't buy it from anywhere other than direct from Goyard, they don't sell them anywhere else, and they are easy to fake. They do reply quickly to emails and are very helpful though, and there is a shop in Convent Garden I think.

gonegrey56 Mon 22-Aug-16 13:23:58

I too have reservations about the quality. For that reason I have not bought one. Try looking at Liberty's own range of tote bags, wonderful colours and so much cheaper than the Goyard ones . I personally would put the £££s towards a classic leather bag that will stay pristine and timeless .

aniceearlynight Mon 22-Aug-16 14:21:58

Have you considered a sturdier leather tote - the Mansur Gavriel, for example, or the Saint Laurent Shopping Tote? A friend has the latter and it's gorgeous - buttery soft leather and very chic and understated. Both those bags are quite a bit cheaper than the Goyard too.

Another idea is to go for a cross body bag which you can use every day, sling on for school run etc like the Celine Trio and then a big lightweight Longchamp Le Pliage for days out with kids?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now