Can someone please tell me about dyeing hair? Highlights/lowlights???

(11 Posts)
mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 11:49:45

So am finally giving in and going to dye my greying hair. But I don't know what I'm doing. Just booked and the lady was asking what I wanted and I don't have a clue.
I have dark brown hair and basically want something as close to my natural. Colour as possible so it doesn't look terrible I'm between doing it.
So any info, photos, tips

mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 11:51:43

Not very god photo but this is my hair colour

Kennington Sat 20-Aug-16 12:31:41

I get my roots done one shade lighter than my natural colour so the grey regrowth isn't so dramatic.
I then get a full head of balayage highlights inverse per year and a half head of regular foils every 4 months - it works out cheaper this way.
I do my roots myself in between, with the 10 min nice and easy
I suggest avoiding red tones which can look alarming against agung skin - they make me look high coloured!

JackandDiane Sat 20-Aug-16 12:32:59

it doesnt need to be complicated. I was the same as you - no real idea what it was all about, I never dyed my hair until i had to (!)

YOU CAN get the whole head done or just the roots.
You can have semi permanent colour or permanent - your hairdresser will advise.

JackandDiane Sat 20-Aug-16 12:33:57

i need mine doing about very 7 weeks

in the last week i spray the root line on my parting with one of those colour sprays.
You want to avoid doing the whole head too often IMO

mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 18:15:27

So if I just want it as close to my own hair colour as possible I take it I don't want highlights or anything? She asked me this when I was booking.
What are balayage highlights?
I don't really want any red to it kennington as don't think it would go with my colouring.

mamapants Sat 20-Aug-16 18:19:59

Did it take a few goes to find a spray that matched jack?
I'm not too worried about a bit of grey at the top as colour starts growing g out more by my roots being a totally different colour to the rest of my hair.

JackandDiane Sat 20-Aug-16 20:47:25

no I just went for dark brown spray
YOu dont need stripes or anything initially. I think as you get older an all in one colour looks flat. I am 46 and veering that way

JackandDiane Sat 20-Aug-16 20:48:03

just say " i want the grey dyed so it looks like my own natural colour, nothing fancy'
just bRAAAAAAN hair

mamapants Sun 21-Aug-16 10:31:35

Great will try that.
Hairdressers always stress me out.

mamapants Wed 24-Aug-16 10:22:32

Well its turned out darker than my hair, which is going to take a bit of getting used to as I think it makes me look pale.
But hadn't told dp I have coloured it a d he hasn't noticed it, he's just commented on it looking straight as they used straighteners so it can't be that different.
Hair much better for a cut and no greys though.
Thanks for the help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now