Talk

Advanced search

how can I make my bob more stylish?

(41 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 09:06:42

I have fine hair that is flat without product and a chin length bob with fringe. I am so bored of it and feel a bit frumpy but no idea how to turn it into something stylish but easy to care for. I like the idea of tousled waves but dont have time every day for that and my hair is quite straight plus its become oiler so needs washing quite frequently. I dont feel very modern or young with it, its just easy to do. I'm mid thrirties btw.What can I ask for next time at the hairdresser's?

Pisssssedofff Sat 20-Aug-16 09:07:57

Grow out the fridge, my step mum has had that style for the past 30 years

Rudymentary Sat 20-Aug-16 09:10:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

barefootbird Sat 20-Aug-16 09:15:33

Very graduated, different colour, have an undercut, get a different fringe cut in/grow the fringe out?

Swearwolf Sat 20-Aug-16 09:23:40

Don't get an undercut in fine hair! I feel your pain, mine is also fine and straight and needs washing every day, it won't hold curls or an updo anyway so I just have it down every day. Mine is armpit length with long layers cut in. Agree you should lose the fringe, get some choppy layers and ask your hairdresser about products.

sashh Sat 20-Aug-16 09:33:12

I know this is an 80s idea, but what about a perm?

Not a tight perm, one to give waves rather than curl.

Google images of 'permed bob' and you will get an idea.

You would then have the option of drying it straight or leaving to dry wavy.

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 09:40:54

The reason I have a fringe is that it gives structure. My hair gets so flat and lank that it can look a bit drab if it just flops down on my face. It's a full fringe and I like to sweep it sideways a bit but it never stays that way.

Salt spray - I have got some but if I scrunch it in it it ends up looking a bit, crunchy... not the beachy waves I am for!

When you say graduated, do you mean stepped up at the back? And an undercut? I don't understand, I've heard this mentioned but I have visions of women going round like toady in the 90s! And given that my hair is fine anyway I would have thought it would make it look thinner?

Pisssssedofff Sat 20-Aug-16 09:44:33

The fringe has to go seriously, it's not as if it's even co operating by the sounds of it. A perm is a great idea but you might want to grow it a bit longer first

Pisssssedofff Sat 20-Aug-16 09:44:57

No to the under cut loln

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 09:51:42

I went second to last time and said I was growing it a bit and it was a different hairdressers to my usual. I said just take the ends off and came back with it much shorter and some layers in! I felt ten times more frumpy! So that it still growing back in.

I have had graduated bob in the past but wondered if it's still a stylish look? Plus having the shorter hair limits my choices for curling etc for nights out. Though the structure mIght be better for my hair. It's so soft and flat.

I don't suit very long hair. I don't think I ever have really

MewlingQuim Sat 20-Aug-16 09:51:46

Any advice that keeps the fringe?

I have a bob with a fringe. My fringe hides facial scarring so I don't want to get rid of it.

Is it really that unfashionable? Am I doomed to frumpyness? sad

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 09:58:45

Is it better to have a full fringe that rounds at the sides rather than straight across? I used to have it rounded but hairdresser keeps cutting it straighter now which I don't actually like but never think about it till I come to drying it myself. I asos like to have it full but just the bottom edge swept sideways. If only it would stay like that without half a can of hairspray!

pinkieandperkie Sat 20-Aug-16 10:59:36

I had my fine hair cut into a bob recently and also had a fringe cut in for the first time ever. Having a fringe makes me look so much better and I wish I'd had one years ago. My hair is light blonde so it doesn't look to harsh and it is slightly longer at the sides and not blunt.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 20-Aug-16 11:04:38

I had a swept to the side fringe for ages, and recently had a full blunt fringe cut in. I love it. Looks much better. However, I have very thick, slightly wavy hair, so different to yours.

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 11:58:08

What shape of Bob pinkie? Graduated, all one length, layered, length?

What makes a stylish bob?

retainertrainer Sat 20-Aug-16 11:59:00

You've described my hair exactly. Things I've done to keep it up to date

-one length,no layers
-no graduation,straight across
-blunt ends
-keep a full fringe just skimming your lashes,not too short
-balayage through the ends

retainertrainer Sat 20-Aug-16 12:00:20

My hairs no where near as thick as the pics but that's the kind of thing I'm aiming for. I'll try and take a pic of myself without showing my face!

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 12:18:50

Love that retainer. But would be much flatter for me. Thing is, my hair has the faintest kink in it so it should theoretically do that wavy thing. But how do I get it to do that without an hour wrestling a heat tool?

Also anyone know any good products for putting in some body? I use timing bedhead small talk which I like but it really has to be hairdried and brushed in. I couldn't rough dry it in.

I was so annoyed when the layers got cut in, it'll be ages til they grow out. So, for that look, blunt rounded fringe, blunt cut no layers? What product/how to dry?

This length is good as it could be curled or straightened or even tiEd up.

Chillyegg Sat 20-Aug-16 12:20:04

Pixie cut?

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Aug-16 12:24:38

Ooh bayalage, never heard of that. But I like it its very subtle. Always said I'd stay away from coluring til I go grey, itso expensive and time consuming to maintain and once you start you can't stop. I like that style though. Just like the summer is growing out of your hair.

papersmile Sat 20-Aug-16 12:36:07

1920s type Bob? I think these can look really cool if you have the right features.

retainertrainer Sat 20-Aug-16 12:51:15

I had balayage last summer and I haven't had it dyed since-I've still got some blond through the ends,it's just an easy way of adding some interest.

I blow dry my hair with shock waves mousse (I've tried loads of expensive ones and this is the one that's gives me a bit of texture and thickness).

I then use my straighteners to add a slight wave,this literally takes 2-3 minutes,I brush the waves out then spray lightly with super drug sea salt spray,just through the ends.

The waves drop out but it just leaves a slight kink which gives the illusion of thickness. Otherwise I just wear it straight.

My hairs super fine and flat,I hate it!

MrsDesperado Sat 20-Aug-16 13:29:23

retainer how do you do the slight wave in your hair with straighteners, please?

BlueEyedWonder Sat 20-Aug-16 13:42:09

My hair is fine although I have quite a lot of it. I've had various takes on the bob cut over the years.
At present I have it cut a jaw length, it is cut into the nape of my neck at the back to give structure, the sides are cut straight rather than graduated. I have more or less grown out the fringe.

Mamia15 Sat 20-Aug-16 13:46:15

I have fine straight hair so know your struggles.

Stay away from graduated bobs.

Google Lauren Conrad bobs - you need blunt ends and decent products for it to work. Redken Pillow proof is fantastic stuff as it stops my waves from going flat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now