Acrylic nails for a 12-year-old????

(50 Posts)
Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 21:42:20

DD has wanted acrylics since she started secondary school. Quite a few of her friends have them and there's a nail party planned.

I have consistently said no because I'm worried about damage to her nails (also hate the look of them but that's a secondary issue). But she's begging and begging and I'm starting to waver.

So are they safe or not? She is 12.

heatherwithapee Fri 19-Aug-16 22:02:25

I wouldn't.

PacificDogwod Fri 19-Aug-16 22:03:54

'Safe' in what way?
They will not kill her or anything.

But no, no, I would not, no way.
Tell her she can have them when she is 16 or something and hope she has come to her senses by then.

TobleroneBoo Fri 19-Aug-16 22:03:57

I wouldn't either. They really do damage nails

Ohb0llocks Fri 19-Aug-16 22:06:15

Nails done by a professional tech and removed properly will not damage the natural nail.

Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 22:33:01

pacific Safe for the nail - not damaging it.

None of these girls have their nails professionally removed by the way - they just end up coming off apparently.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:34:21

I wouldn't want my daughter having falsies out on until at least 16.

TeaBelle Fri 19-Aug-16 22:35:18

I'd agree to gel nails as a compromise

Ricecreespees Fri 19-Aug-16 22:35:47

No no no they're so horrific!

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:37:45

They are just stick on nails?hmm I'm not sure why people are saying no way.
At 12 I'm pretty sure my nail were in a terrible state from wearing later upon layer of nail varnish/colouring them in with permanent marker blush etc.
Nails grow quickly, even if there is damage its not going to be that lasting.

I don't personally like big long false nails but I don't see any harm in her as a one off having them out on at a nail party.

TeaBelle Fri 19-Aug-16 22:38:56

Acrylics can cause long lasting damage to the nail bed.

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:39:04

Oh dear so many typos blush

Ohb0llocks Fri 19-Aug-16 22:41:01

Acrylics can cause long lasting damage to the nail bed if improperly applied and removed. Find her a proper reputable salon using professional products and she will be fine.

lifeonthemuvaside Fri 19-Aug-16 22:41:12

I think she's too young, they do come off but they cause damage to the nail. Can't she just have a nice manicure and shellac?

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:42:28

I've done some googling and I guess I was wrong. Sometimes there is damage done but it does seem mostly by inexperienced people applying them or when used long term.

I thought they were just like those stick on nails you get? Why doesn't she just get those?

Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 22:43:23

Apparently a nice manicure won't cut it. And a manicurist told me that shellac is worse than acrylics.

Currently back on the 'no way' side of the fence! God, preteens are tiring.

Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 22:44:01

Stick-on nails were y5, sigh.

Ohb0llocks Fri 19-Aug-16 22:47:27

Shellac wouldn't be worse than acrylics, it required no buffing etc to the natural nail plate, however like acrylic it will damage if it is picked at etc.

Would she properly care for nails? Or just pull them off? When would she be back at school? Most schools will not allow nail enhancements anyway.

Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 22:55:08

They pull them off when they are already loose, apparently. I'm sure she'd look after them if told to do so, though.

And they will be able to wear them to school - annoyingly (it's not strict on make-up).

CremeBrulee Fri 19-Aug-16 23:05:55

No way would I allow this. I don't mind DD painting her nails but I wouldn't allow gel or acrylics.

As a holiday treat I organised a mani/pedi at home for me & DD13. I had Shellac, she had normal polish. The beautician used Vinlylux polish on DD and over a week later it looks as good as my Shellac nails. Could this be an option?

seahorse106 Fri 19-Aug-16 23:14:06

My dd is 13 and has 2 sets of acrylic nails. She's fed up with them now and has decided they are too much hassle. She paid for them herself but I went with her when she got them done.

Cocochoco Fri 19-Aug-16 23:30:23

This is helpful. Going to stick with the no!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 19-Aug-16 23:33:28

Not at 12 I wouldn't. Just some nice nail polish and a good manicure is enough.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 20-Aug-16 00:04:52

I'm a nail tech and wouldn't do a 12 year old. Their nails are small, thin and oily. 16 as a minimum age.
If you do go ahead then go somewhere that hand files and doesn't use an e-file and make sure she doesn't pick them off. Acrylics are not for a one off they are meant to be worn long term and regularly infilled.
Shellac or gel polish shouldn't damage the nail if applied and removed correctly. No picking!
All enhancements need good aftercare and that means daily application of cuticle oil, wearing gloves when washing up or cleaning and no picking or biting!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 20-Aug-16 17:31:34

My DD is 14 and had acrylics applied at the beginning of the school holidays. They aren't a One Night thing and they're ££.

First application+ polish then she's had infills and re polish every 2 weeks.
She doesn't pick (or wash up grin ) and uses OPI Avoplex oil.
I had to really search for somewhere that had good reviews and would apply them to her nails (and I have to accompany her )

They look nice on her, not my thing at all.
I've warned her that her own nails will be affected but when she's back at school, she'll have naked nails or clear matte polish only.

12 though? Too young IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now