Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About to give my 4 year old dd a haircut - tips please?

(21 Posts)
HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:06:57

Her hair is medium weight, about to her shoulder blades when wet. She has a natural deep side parting. She really needs a haircut! How do I do this thing?

ScarletForYa Fri 19-Aug-16 10:09:53

I'm a bit confused, it doesn't sound very long, you don't have to cut it?

PinkyPlumet Fri 19-Aug-16 10:15:27

Tip 1- don't do it.

HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:16:26

It's swamping her whole head Scarlet, and the deep side parting kind of makes it quote unruly as it doesn't stay out of her face naturally if you get me. It's sort of flyaway. Right now it requires multiple clips and ties to keep it tidy. She's starting school soon and I just want it a bit under control. Would love to give her a fringe but not sure how that would work!

Sorry, not.explaining very well but mainly she just looks untidy as is.

allthecarbs Fri 19-Aug-16 10:18:27

Step 1. Leave the house and make your way to a hairdresser...

LadyintheRadiator Fri 19-Aug-16 10:20:26

Good lord don't cut her a fringe yourself. Go to the hairdressers. Or tie it up.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 19-Aug-16 10:20:30

Go to the hairdressers. They know what they're doing usually.

HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:20:35

Thanks, but she is off nursery and very contagious so no leaving the house! As I am home with her I figured it would be a good time to do it. My mum always cut my hair at that age.

HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:22:10

Seriously no tips? Though I accept the wisdom about the fringe. I want to be able to tie it back neatly and fast. At the.moment that's not happening.

Ellieboolou27 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:23:10

Sounds like my daughters hair, it grows forward, I did cut a fringe but I used to be s hairdresser, I've since grown it out as fringes need regular trimming, don't try and cut her hair yourself, most salons won't charge more than £10 to cut a 4 year olds hair.

Ellieboolou27 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:25:07

I looked on Pinterest too for ideas to keep hair off her face. Clops usually fall out my dd hair as its dead straight and fine but lots of it.

SecretSpy Fri 19-Aug-16 10:25:13

I cut DD's hair regularly at that age.

Use sharp hairdressing scissors. Dampen and comb the hair first. Plan to take off less at first, you can always take more off later. And put something entrancing on the TV to keep her still.

If it's a disaster, well it's only hair and you can go to the hairdresser when she's better as plan B grin

Ellieboolou27 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:25:27

Clips not clops!

SoftSheen Fri 19-Aug-16 10:25:48

Tie it up for the moment, then when DD is well take her to a proper hairdresser...

Missgraeme Fri 19-Aug-16 10:27:29

I always cut my 2xdd hair!! Make her tilt her head forward a bit while u snip so u dont get a harsh line at the bottom!! And no fringe!! Always a mistake at home!!

unpackyoursuitcase Fri 19-Aug-16 10:29:52

Sit her on a high chair so that it is comfortable for you to reach. Use a very sharp scissors. Wet her hair with spray bottle of water. Comb it. Do a little at a time. The length of the back cut short will make her hair have more bounce. I have done my dd s fringe in the past. If your dd is unlikely to sit still long enough for you to keep trying to get it straight then I would leave it long. Be brave and just a little at a time is the key. Good luck

HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:30:53

Yes, clips fall.out here too.
Secret, thanks. I'm going to go with the approach of a trim first as you say. I have done that before and it was fine but just wondered if there was a secret DIY method or something. Hairdressers have given her two beautiful cuts that were of the swingy in face variety, perhaps suited to insta teens but not 4 year olds.

HalfStar Fri 19-Aug-16 10:32:09

Thank you for the tips! Will report back.

iknowimcoming Fri 19-Aug-16 10:39:18

If she's about to start school id keep it long (no fringe) and tie it back plus use some gel/wax/hairspray to keep it neat, this will also help to keep critters at bay at school. Fringes are short term fixes, I can see why you're tempted but it will be loads more annoying when it keeps growing over her eyes, and if you cock it up you'll be reminded every time you look at her. Sorry!

snowgal Fri 19-Aug-16 10:42:27

I agree with the above. Don't be too worried about doing it yourself, we seem to fast becoming a generation scared of DIY! Sharp scissors, damp hair and doing a little at a time. As long as she's a willing participant you'll be fine (my dd is and easy to cut get hair, ds hates it so it's a bit of a battle but we get there in the end!). If all else fails, put her in front of the TV for a while when you're cutting it

FlumptyDumpty Fri 19-Aug-16 10:48:10

One of the few things I find it hard to forgive my (lovely) mother for is her insistence on cutting my hair when I was little. I cringe when I see old photos. Please wait until you can visit the hairdresser and get a decent job done! Ask around about who is good at doing little girls' hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now