For those who have their hair dyed...what brand do they use? And do you recommend it?

(8 Posts)
Buddahbelly Fri 19-Aug-16 07:37:59

My current hairdresser uses redken I think ( will be phoning later to ask). It's fine for around 2 weeks then turns to straw - roots done all over with a few highlights underneath.

Just wondered if different brands = better quality and can last longer than others. I use colour protecting shampoos/ conditioners etc and washing less so doing everything I can do to prolong it from my end. Just don't think this particular brand lasts longer than a week or 2.

So what brand do you use and how long roughly does it last? I'm not talking roots as obviously they vary, more the ends of your hair start fading.

insuranceidiot Fri 19-Aug-16 08:33:20

I use nice n easy age defy. Buy it in super drug. I have below shoulder so I use two boxes at a time. I use any shampoo and conditioner that's on offer but use the purple shampoo once a week. I get about four weeks sometimes longer before it gets dull. My hairdresser who cuts my hair only says its in great condition.

Ratonastick Fri 19-Aug-16 08:56:58

My hairdresser is evangelical about Schwarzkopf. As a result I've been using it for over 20 years! I deep condition once a week and wash with the Schwarzkopf colour care shampoo and oil most days and hair is in pretty good nick.

Buddahbelly Fri 19-Aug-16 09:32:50

Its schwarxkopf shampoo/ conditioner im using at home funnily enough ratonastick , Makes it soft and shiny if nothing else.

I had been dying my hair at home for over 12 years and it had got into an awful state so dont really want to go back down that route again, prefer to have a professional do it as I also have a few highlights put through now and then.

I love it when shes first done it but then after about a week out comes a red tinge and it slowly turns from a lovely brown to a orange/blonde/red tinge.

This never used to happen with my old hairdressers so the only thing I can think it is, is the colourants used. Sadly old hairdressers has now closed down otherwise id go there until the day I died smile

Youvegottobekidding Fri 19-Aug-16 13:43:37

I've used nearly every box dye on the shelf over the last 20 + years, nice n easy usually being a firm favourite, mainly because there are so many shades to choose from & always leaves a good shine. However, over the last year or so, my roots were becoming super resistant to dye - I'm naturally auburn & dye my hair a more browner colour, so I go darker.

I tried semis & permanents, but they won't take on my roots and I don't have any grey. Then I tried Shwarzkopf Poly Colour Tint. £2 in sainsburys, wilkinsons. Did the job brilliantly. Leaves hair in fab condition, no fade. Admittantly there's not a huge range of colours & ive only tried the brown colours, but I'm more than impressed. The dyes don't contain a conditioner, so I just use any. It says in instructions to wash dye out, but I just rinse & condition to keep the colour longer. A real steal in my books.

Ikeameatballs Fri 19-Aug-16 13:48:50

I've been using the box Schwarzkopf Live colour dyes, but the natural shades rather than the bright colours and think it's the best dye I've tried. I got mine done at the hairdressers 3 weeks ago and whilst it's ok the colour has gone lighter quicker. I rarely get mine dyed at the hairdresser, maybe once every 3-6 months when I want it cut as well. I've got long, below shoulder dark brown hair (with some grey that I like to hide).

neveradullmoment99 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:45:43

Henna? My hair is shiny and soft. It is a commitment though. Mine used to be like straw. Dry and frizzy and now has literally a glass like shine. It is time consuming but imo worth it.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:47:58

I started by using henna from lush. I found that it didnt do that great over my resistant greys but it was a great start with henna. I have now progressed to buying pure henna and i mix it with indigo to get a beautiful shiny brown with red undertones. Its not for everyone though as it is a bit of a faff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now