Talk

Advanced search

Which make of bra? Bravissimo not helpful :(

(26 Posts)
brandyandsummergloves Thu 18-Aug-16 18:48:54

So, I was fitted at Bravissimo a couple of years ago, all fine. Last week I went again as I needed a decent black bra. I booked a fitting and asked for an unpadded black bra and I thought I was 32f, as that's the size I was wearing.

The assistant bought me 1 black bra and said that all the others were padded or mounded. She agreed I was 32f but barely glanced at me. I bought it (Panache tango plunge) but don't really feel that great in it and I'm not sure if the cups are a bit small.

Anyway, I wondered what make people here could recommend? I've looked online at Freya, but don't really want to make another expensive mistake.

I'm small, size 8 - 10, but have big boobs. I really hate feeling top heavy.

Grateful for any advice- I've tried the bra intervention but I seem to come up with a different size every time confused

JohnCheese Thu 18-Aug-16 19:16:36

oh that doesn't sound like a great service! Not that I'm an expert but I'm betting you're not a 32F. Get the measuring tape again.
An expert will be along soon I'm sure. Love a good bra intervention. <pulls up a chair and a bag of popcorn>

SavoyCabbage Thu 18-Aug-16 19:23:27

I went to bravissimo two weeks ago and also came away with nothing. For a start the lighting was so bad I couldn't differentiate between the white bras and the nude ones and I couldn't find a single bra in my size on the shop floor. Nobody helped me. So I left and went to John Lewis and spent £500. Bereli mostly.

brandyandsummergloves Thu 18-Aug-16 19:25:30

£500! Eek I thought £30 was a lot shockhow many bras did you get if you don't mind me asking?

maggiethemagpie Thu 18-Aug-16 19:42:32

I rate triumph bras. Consistently good fit. I also like the heidi klum intimates range but the fit is not quite as consistent.

f1fan2015 Thu 18-Aug-16 19:54:11

Sounds like you got a really bad fitter. I was at Bravissimo in July and came away with some new bras despite going down in cup and chest size and having to go through loads before we found a style that had cups that fit. The fitter was really good at knowing which styles would require a different size because of the fit. I would go back and ask for a different fitter

Have a look online at the bras they do - there are loads that are not padded or mounded but that maybe because I am a G so don't really need it.

brandyandsummergloves Thu 18-Aug-16 20:14:17

Hmmm....I might have to order some different makes in maybe 32f and 32ff and see which is best. I think I want a balconnette as I prefer a 'rounded' shape to a pointy one ( which is what I seem to have in the Panache).

Just so disappointing, I thought I'd be spoiled for choice in Bravissimo, and end up with something suited to my particular shape. I was in and out in 10 minutes.
Pah!

DianaT1969 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:17:52

It does happen sometimes at Bravissimo. I wanted a white and a nude bra as summer had started and I'd put on weight. The fitter seemed distracted and busy - didn't seem to have choice in my size in bras which would look ok under t-shirts - only ones with prominent seams and lace. i came way with a nude moulded one, which I'd say is two cup sizes too big. It has never fitted me - i could fit a small pack of frozen peas in each cup. Kicked myself because I knew at the time but didn't feel very assertive with my clothes offx
I would be assertive in future but tend to buy well now by self-measuring as per bra intervention when my weight fluctuates.
Freya seems the best for me.

Dreamqueen Thu 18-Aug-16 20:19:30

I got fitted in Bravissimo in Regent Street in June. 32F, lovely fitter who brought me at least 12 bras to try on to work out what style would suit me best. When we found a couple of possibles she came back with loads to try in different makes and styles. I ended up buying 6 bras. It was worth the effort to travel to town.

Maybe you shoud try again with a different fitter?

brandyandsummergloves Thu 18-Aug-16 20:31:31

Diana- I know what you mean about being assertive with no clothes on. I like the look of the Freya bras so I might have a go at measuring myself again tomorrow.

Dream queen - your experience sounds more like I'd expected. I'm not far from London so I might book in there for a fitting.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Thu 18-Aug-16 20:35:08

I'm bigger than you at a 36gg but I really like debenhams for bras, they are really well priced and good quality. I don't really shop in there for anything else. They also have freya, fantasie and Frost French as well as their own brand. Love Freya as they are pretty and don't have massive straps but still support. From elsewhere Elle McPherson is really nice.

boobyooby Thu 18-Aug-16 20:38:14

I only wear Freya or Fantasie (G cups here) but I always try on and get my size checked for comfort and fit each time. Once I find a style I like I generally buy the different colours in same bra as don't need to double- check!

SavoyCabbage Thu 18-Aug-16 20:45:32

I got six or seven with two pairs of knickers for each one. I've been living abroad and was wearing rags almost for bras in my defence!

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 20:48:58

When I had boobs (before I had DC) I used to like Fantasie bras, couldn't get on with Panache or Freya.

VinoEsmeralda Thu 18-Aug-16 20:55:36

Marie Jo or Prima Donna for me. Am a size 8/10 and a 30E. They last years and fab fit.

Raisingsteam1 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:35:40

I'm surprised as I've been going to Bravissimo for years and had very few duds. Could you phone the shop and explain you think you've come away with the wrong bra and fitting seemed rushed. Give them a chance to correct it. No way should they have had only one black bra, that's very odd. The thing is that very few other places have their range and (normally) fitters. I wonder have they expanded faster than staff training is keeping up?

Raisingsteam1 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:44:26

Freya Rio is a good everyday unpadded bra, you might like to try?

WhereAreWeNow Fri 19-Aug-16 08:59:03

I'm pretty sure Bravissimo have a good policy about refunding/exchanging if they've fitted you and they've got it wrong. I don't like the Panache Tango plunge but I do rate the Panache Andorra (which comes in plain black) and the Envy which is a slightly more rounded shape. I think Panache comes up a bit small though so you might want to try one cup size up.

WhereAreWeNow Fri 19-Aug-16 08:59:22

Oh, and the Panache Idina and the Clara.

WhereAreWeNow Fri 19-Aug-16 09:00:03

Also, lots of people swear by Cleo bras. Lots of them are very bright/loud but I'm sure they do a few plain black options.

cressetmama Fri 19-Aug-16 12:50:59

Chantelle Hedona is lovely: unpadded, full cup, natural shape, invisible under T-shirts. Have been wearing the same style for yonks, but have tried lots of others too. You will need a decent independent shop I think.

sarsiem Fri 19-Aug-16 13:02:19

Agree with mama Chantelle hedona are a great make. I don't wear any other bras and haven't ever found any that are as comfortable and supportive! I have tried lots over the years. Figleaves sell them. I bought my first one from a little independent shop in Liverpool which is long gone unfortunately, Madam Foner I think it was called!

Thegiantofillinois Fri 19-Aug-16 13:07:53

I'm starting to lose the love for bravissimo these days. They've served me well for about 9 years, dc and all, but I think the quality is slipping. I'm a 32f and tall, but I've found d the last couple of bras I've bought can't control the bounce and have straps that dig in cos they're too thin.

brandyandsummergloves Fri 19-Aug-16 13:16:20

Thanks everyone for your replies, really helpful. I'm going to order a few different makes and see which is best. Also going to have a go at measuring myself using the bra intervention method. Not going to bother with Bravissimo again.
smile

ChocChocPorridge Fri 19-Aug-16 13:22:58

I've been using Bravissimo for about 15 years, and I agree that in some ways they are slipping.

I've never got on with panache bras, Freya I used to like, but the more recent ones I've bought haven't been good. Own brand Bravissimo seems to be skimping on the underwires/hooks because they're all bending very easily, but otherwise the fit is probably the best I've found right now.

I tend to order a wide range, including a couple of sizes in each style, then send back what doesn't fit - mainly because the shops just don't have the stock in my size to give me enough choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now