What product to give shine to naturally wavy hair?

(13 Posts)
Janus Thu 18-Aug-16 12:42:55

I have naturally wavy hair that I have to now dye every 2 weeks as I'm going quite grey! Luckily it's brown rather than bleaching that often but it's still quite dry now.
I use kerastase shampoo/conditioner but actually condition for 2 days and then shampoo and condition.
I use a mousse and then let my hair dry naturally as else it explodes! But it just doesn't shine.
I'm thinking the mousse is not the right thing to use so be very interested what other people use who have similar hair please??

Destinysdaughter Thu 18-Aug-16 13:55:08

Don't know but have similar hair so watching with interest!

Fuzzypeggy Thu 18-Aug-16 14:00:59

Wavy hair is very difficult to get shiny. I wiah I knew the answer as I have this too. When I dry it straight though it does have a shine to it, something to do with smoothing the hair shaft I guess which doesn't happen so much if you leave it wavy

Destinysdaughter Thu 18-Aug-16 14:41:20

Also if you're dyeing it every 2 weeks which seems like a lot isn't that going to damage the hair over time?

I had chestnut colour hair and started to go grey. I'm now completely blonde as the regrowth is much less noticeable so only get it dyed every 2 months now. Something to think about? I started out with highlights and now have an overall colour.

JaneJeffer Thu 18-Aug-16 15:00:04

I have the same hair type and colour just doesn't last. L'Oreal Elvive for coloured hair in the red bottle gives great shine. Now all I need is something to defrizz it! Nothing works.

gingerbreadmanm Thu 18-Aug-16 15:01:05

moroccanoil glimmer spray smells gorgeous and lasts ages.

Janus Thu 18-Aug-16 15:03:22

I've tried adding highlights but my natural colour is almost black so I have to add them regularly. I went nearly blonde earlier this year but I struggle to recognise myself blonder, it just doesn't suit me, makes me look washed out. My grey is very grey, not at all blonde so it shows up almost as much. But depressing really as started going grey when I was 20!
I don't dye all my hair though, I get the root touch up and try to do that 3 out of 4 times so the rest of my hair doesn't actually get dyed. But yes, it is definitely drying my hair but I'm not ready to go all over grey get!

Destinysdaughter Thu 18-Aug-16 15:08:53

Yes hair that dark wouldn't work so well blonde. I'm lucky as I was fair skinned with blue eyes anyway so most pp who didn't know me before assume it's natural!

Am genuinely stumped. What does your hairdresser advise?

Destinysdaughter Thu 18-Aug-16 15:11:46

There is also the curly girl method, so not using products with SLS or silicone in. Do you know about that? There's tons of threads about it on here.

Janus Thu 18-Aug-16 15:31:13

Ginger, thank you so much, I'm about to order a few of those products as the reviews are amazing.
Hairdresser is a bit stumped too! She says to add highlights but that's hard to do if I don't like the colour then! I'm sticking to mid brown so it's not as dark as natural colour and will add the odd lighter tone every now and then to break it up. I don't want to go blonde again as have done it at least 5 times now and always regret it! And it's expensive to have highlights of about £75 every month or two!
The morrocanoil range looks amazing though, will let you know when it all arrives, thank you again.smile

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 18-Aug-16 15:50:49

Kerastase's Ciment Thermique is lovely for swingy, shiny hair, and moroccan oil do a light version which is fabulous.

gingerbreadmanm Thu 18-Aug-16 16:41:58

moroccanoil is amazing just a bit pricey bit lasts and worth it for the smell alone.

if you want shine that will help.

try rinsing ur hair with cold water and giving it a final blast with cold air when drying.

scientifically adding blonde highlights to your hair will make it duller as blonde does not reflect light.

for your colour you need somethinh with a warm undertone. i would choose a hazel or chocolate colour for a good shine.

PootlewasthebestFlump Sun 21-Aug-16 21:55:18

I have curly/wavy hair and it is one big frizz-mop at the moment, very hard to get it shiny unless I Babyliss BigHair it into oblivion.

I've gone from expensive to dirt cheap products, silicone-free and loaded with silicones and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My top tip, which works for me, is to use a rich conditioner and don't' rinse it all out. I shampoo, condition, rinse well, then splodge a little conditioner on my hair, run it down the hair shaft, then flash it under the shower to get some of it off but not all.

Squeeze it gently with a towel, don't rub. Put a curl cream through - Moroccan Oil or Aveda is good - then dry very carefully with not too much heat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now