Any idea how to make white Superga trainers look clean(ish) again?

(12 Posts)
WhereAreWeNow Thu 18-Aug-16 11:41:34

Or any white canvas shoes really? Mine are looking very grey and grubby but I'm not sure if they can go in the washing machine.

seenitallbefore Thu 18-Aug-16 12:00:20

They are fine to go in the washing machine . My white ones came up really well .

RusholmeRuffian Thu 18-Aug-16 12:35:44

They are fine to go in the washing machine. Stuff them with kitchen roll while they dry to help keep the shape.

overthehillandroundthemountain Thu 18-Aug-16 12:36:28

I always put mine in the washing machine. You could also wash them inside a pillowcase to protect them a bit more.

SleepFreeZone Thu 18-Aug-16 12:36:55

Those magic sponges?

WhereAreWeNow Thu 18-Aug-16 12:47:35

Thanks all. Doesn't it knacker your washing machine?

WhereAreWeNow Thu 18-Aug-16 12:48:02

Oh, and another stupid question: quick wash, long cycle, hot or cool?

HeyMicky Thu 18-Aug-16 12:58:00

Mix bicarb and lemon juice into a paste and rub all over the shoes. Leave to dry and then leave in the sun for a day or so. Brush/bash the dry residue off and you'll have lovely white trainers again

Sgtmajormummy Thu 18-Aug-16 13:01:18

I clean the outside rubber trims with white cif liquid if that's any help...

overthehillandroundthemountain Thu 18-Aug-16 13:12:51

I wash mine on a wool wash. My machine also has a 'hand wash' option which I also use. Anything implying delicates is good, and leave them in the sun to dry.

In more ruthless times I've put Converse in the tumble dryer shock It's fine, but I suspect the glue melts a bit around the rubber trims.

WhereAreWeNow Fri 19-Aug-16 08:51:43

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go tonight.

MadJackMcMad Fri 19-Aug-16 10:58:46

I always wash my white Supergas, have worn them for years and buy a new pair every couple of years. I've even washed white leather Supergas several times and they look great. TIP - do not use a biological detergent OR a colour detergent - they still contain some biological enzymes - as it will make the rubber yellow and the glue discolour; get non-bio tabs (I use Sainsbo's own) and use a short wash 30 or 40 degrees, put an old light coloured bath towel in there to cushion the washing machine drum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now