Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about tan accelerators/intensifiers

(6 Posts)
kilmuir Tue 16-Aug-16 17:03:40

Looking at buying either Australian gold or eco tan. Are they any good, do I apply it before sun protection. Thanks

Kirriemuir Tue 16-Aug-16 19:10:31

You apply for 3/4 weeks before you go. Then usual sunscreen during the day. I put it on after a shower at night. I use Lancaster.

Trills Tue 16-Aug-16 19:19:47

What's the active ingredient? Is there any evidence that it does anything?

JamieLannistersFuckButler Tue 16-Aug-16 21:19:08

What Trills said.

Is the active ingredient /does it contains DHA?

Because if so, that does not "tan" you in the same way the sun does - it's just reacting with the topmost layer of skin (that's already dead) to turn it brown. It's the same natural process that turns a cut apple brown.

Nothing wrong with that, and it's nice not too look too pasty when you arrive on your holiday.

When I've used them, I've used the cheapest unperfumed product I can find (Superdrug, even Lidl once). They're all much of a muchness in that DHA is the only active ingredient available that turns you brown. Some products have other perfumes etc that can cause allergic reactions, some of the lotions work better with some skins than others.

I'd err on the side of caution and buy a lotion that says it's designed to give you a lighter tan...use daily before you go and build up colour, stop before you go orange.

I used to do spray tanning and have a science degree...so know about this from a slightly different angle!

specialsubject Tue 16-Aug-16 21:21:10

no. I'm sure this question has been raised before and I'm sure I responded to that effect.

they'll also sell you tablets to do the same. 'contributes to normal skin pigmentation' A classic piece of beauty 'industry' babble, that.

kilmuir Wed 17-Aug-16 21:29:43

Decided against it, thanks for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now