Talk

Advanced search

Comfortable supportive trainers for 'a walk'

(14 Posts)
FlipWreck Tue 16-Aug-16 09:35:42

Hi, I've signed up for a 10 mile city walk - nothing too strenuous, so I don't think I need running shoes or proper hiking/walking boots! Please can I have your recommendations for trainers (not Skechers) that I could wear again? I have New Balance trainers that I like for general trotting around, but I don't think they're supportive enough for 10 miles. TIA!

rightknockered Tue 16-Aug-16 13:31:33

Get some Nike Pegasus. Ye olde running shoe of the late 80's, very supportive and look good imo

NattyGolfJerkin Tue 16-Aug-16 16:01:29

Pegasus are actually a 'neutral' shoe, not classed as supportive, really. I can't wear them and I need moderate support (over pronator - high arches) - I like Brooks Ravenna or Saucony Guide 9 but that's for running. I do find them comfy for walking too though. Not sure they'd be ideal for hiking over rough terrain but are fine for city walking. I wore my Ravenna 5s on a city holiday recently where we were walking 15-20km a day and my feet were fine, no aches, blisters or pain.

toomuchinternets Tue 16-Aug-16 19:21:54

following with interest! I wear Sketchers Go Walks and I do love them, but over 5k and they aren't enough.

ILikeToClean Tue 16-Aug-16 19:40:31

I have Nike Roche and they're like wearing slippers, don't need to wear socks and they keep your feet cool as you can feel the air circulate through them.

bigfatfeet Tue 16-Aug-16 20:24:28

Second the Nike Roshe - they are super light and really comfortable but they have arch support so you should be able to walk for miles!

elliefredericksen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:41:02

I'd say no to Nike Roshe. I did an unexpected 6 mile walk on holiday and they were no support at all, my feet were pushed forward and by the end my toes really hurt. I also think I compensated for the lack of support by tensing my calf muscles. I'm fit and regularly do longer walks at home without a problem, but my lower legs and knees ached for about four days after.

I'd go for one of the Nike Zoom range, or Nike Air Zooms, look for something with lots of sole cushioning and impact absorbtion. You should be able to pick up past ranges quite cheaply.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 16-Aug-16 20:51:44

Flipj go to your local sports megastore, try on a bunch of walking shoes. If you walk on asphalt you don't need proper boots.

I've started doing long walks and I find my NB just right for 12...17 km (about 10 miles). I also have a proper walking shoe (not boot), these are fantastic, I can walk really far with them and no breaking in was needed.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 16-Aug-16 21:57:30

I swear by Reebox classics - neutral , gold , black , Leppard skin , proper trainers and love em - and walk for miles in them

FlipWreck Wed 17-Aug-16 11:20:10

Thanks for all of the suggestions - going to try some on tonight.

toomuchinternets Wed 17-Aug-16 13:12:49

Do you get smelly feet if you wear Nike Roche with no socks?!

NattyGolfJerkin Wed 17-Aug-16 13:36:41

You get smelly feet/shoes if you wear any shoes without socks/liners/insoles.

NattyGolfJerkin Wed 17-Aug-16 13:39:30

DD likes Nike Air Zoom, they are more supportive than Pegasus but still look fashionable. They also come in a wide fitting (great for DD as she has v wide feet).

LizzieMacQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 13:41:33

Adidas Climacool are very comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now