Talk

Advanced search

Fashion tips needed: 40, short and more stocky than petite

(8 Posts)
DebratsEtiquette Mon 15-Aug-16 21:47:39

I need help! I don't really get the chance to go clothes shopping with other people so need some advice from you on what could make me look relatively good. I'm 40, about 4 foot 11 and a size 12 - not really the shape designers have in mind. I have a full wardrobe but could count about 2 items that I genuinely love out of everything. For the last ten years I've been buying things because they fit and don't look terrible - I want to buy things that make me feel great. I prefer to spend on quality, not quantity. What are the 3 or 4 key things that would be good to buy for autumn winter when you're a little bit ... well, dumpy!

SparkyBlue Mon 15-Aug-16 22:35:11

You are my twin body wise smilesmileExact same issues here. I gained some weight and I felt awful and nothing looked well on me so thankfully back to a 10 but I intend to loose more as I feel that for my height things only look well on me if my waist looks small(I hope that makes sense). I am currently living in marks and spencer 5 pocket petite fit jeggings and they are the first item of clothing I have ever owned that truly fit a smaller person. I am dying to get some new stuff as well.

DebratsEtiquette Tue 16-Aug-16 07:09:10

Thanks SparklyBlue. I can look out for those jeggings - I have some autograph ones that I keep meaning to get shortened. Any ideas for knit wear?

Liiinoo Tue 16-Aug-16 07:27:02

I am 5ft 1in, about a 12/14 and huge boobs so not dissimilar to you. I am a bit like Humpty Dumpty with a big round body and skinny little arms and legs.

My 'uniform' is jeggings and long tops with flats for everyday and heels for dressing up and it seems to work as I do get complimented and asked where I have bought things.

I recently bought cropped skinny jeggings from Uniqlo and they have been a godsend. They are heavy enough to look like real skinny jeans but soft enough to feel comfortable and come in a lot of colours. Because I am short the cropped are ankle length so I will be able to wear them with boots/Uggs in the winter.

For knit wear I buy M&S cashmere tunic tops in the winter (although they are a pain to wash) and shop around on Amazon and local small retailers for more individual things.

I think I have cracked the day to day/smart casual level of dressing for my shape but I still struggle with occasion dressing so I will be following this thread with interest.

DebratsEtiquette Tue 16-Aug-16 07:38:59

Thanks Liinoo - will look for the cashmere top when looking at the jeggings! Is it a petite one? Any advice on neck line? I'm not particularly large on top (just regular boobs) but usually stick to v-necks. I have never actually been in to a Uniqlo - will have a look there. I like shops like Cos but their things seem to be signed for much taller women sad

Liiinoo Tue 16-Aug-16 08:49:55

The tunic tops don't seem to be available yet this year but I am hoping they will be soon. They have done them for at least the last three years in different colours.

FoolandFitz Thu 18-Aug-16 20:04:29

Hi OP, I'm slightly older than you but the same shape, and even shorter at 4ft 10"!

I tend to wear semi fitted shirts (with a full sleeved t-shirt underneath as the weather gets colder) with a cardi. It's not as boring as it sounds - crisp cotton shirt with good quality wool cardi and a scarf, or I tend to wear tops with a high waistline - empire line or across the bust or above the bust as it helps to skim over the belly and makes me look slimmer than I am. Oh, and I'm not scared of colour grin

My dresses are all basically the same shape (high waist/empire line) - just different lengths, patterns, fabrics and colours. I wore this recently to a wedding - I got lots of compliments. I always look best in dresses but it's not very practical.

For autumn, I have my eye on this leather jacket. I also only wear M and S petite fit jeans as they do the extra short sizing and it fits me perfectly. I do straight jeans but can do skinny jeans in the winter with boots as otherwise I look a bit odd- the boots seem to balance me out.

I only ever shop petite as normal size clothes just don't sit right on me eg waist ends up sitting on my hip and/or I end up looking dumpy, so I shop at: M and S, Boden, Top Shop, Gap, Lands End, Banana Republic, sometimes ASOS and Anthropologie do some nice stuff but are eye wateringly expensive - window shopping for me only. Basic middle of the road stuff but it suits me and fits me. smile

FoolandFitz Thu 18-Aug-16 20:04:46

Sorry for massive post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now