Talk

Advanced search

Work trousers for an apple - please help!

(17 Posts)
NotPennysBoat Sun 14-Aug-16 20:21:53

I'm shortly returning to work after maternity leave and none of my old clothes fit me!
I've always been an apple shape, have good legs (albeit short - I'm 5'3") but terrible tummy which is even worse after the birth of DS! I've been shopping today and feel like crying because I've tried on so many pairs of black trousers and they all either give me a muffin top or make me look like my mother!

Please help, what shape should I be going for? Any particular shops I should be looking in or qualities to watch out for? Looking for high street but not particularly constrained by budget. I only wear black heeled boots for work (usually ankle boots or shoe boots).

Thank you in advance!

RandomMess Sun 14-Aug-16 20:33:12

Urgh it's really hard and just good luck, I only wear dresses for work these days!

I have some that fit under the muffin and then wear a loose top to hide it.

Pinkerbeller Sun 14-Aug-16 20:40:10

I'm the same but a couple of inches shorter and need to look smart for work. Style wise a slightly stretchy, pull on boot cut is the most flattering with a longer length top or tunic to flow from the (well hoiked to separate from the belly) bust. Worst bits covered but no fixed waist to create a muffin top.

Now, if you should happen to find said trousers in anything other than poly-plastic-sweaty-cheapo fabric, I will gladly give you my first born child! grin

RandomMess Sun 14-Aug-16 20:48:18

Pinker I'm only 5' - I so feel your pain!

Hence the move to short dresses!

BeJayKayven Sun 14-Aug-16 21:08:05

What size are you? I get most of my clothes from Mango Outlet I'm an apple shape 16 and 5'3 their slim leg trousers are a great fit.

Although it says 'plus size' don't worry as it starts at size 12!

Racheyg Sun 14-Aug-16 22:11:56

high waisted super skinny trousers are a god send. I also wear them cropped length as well. I tuck my shirts in as I feel i look worse, if my shirts are not tucked in and it highlights my tummy area.

Pinkerbeller Sun 14-Aug-16 23:35:51

Random, please link me up with something that works for short arsed apples! All my (recommended by "experts") empire line type dresses just make me look pregnant* as well as not hiding the half calf tattoo which is frowned upon in my work dress policy sad

*Silver lining - if someone asks how far gone I am, at least I must look younger than my actual age!

Artura Sun 14-Aug-16 23:45:48

My favourite work trousers (not so sure about their casual stuff) are Next petite. Think the style is called slouch. I'm a 5ft 3ish apple too and love them. Wash well too.

SesameSparkle Mon 15-Aug-16 14:52:22

racheyg Where do you get your high waisted super skinny trousers from?

RandomMess Mon 15-Aug-16 17:43:19

Not empire line dresses - what were they thinking!!

You will have to wear thick tights if you need to hide a tattoo.

These are short dresses - slight A-line generally or straight and rely on your slim hips and good legs. I usually go for V necks if possible - think 60s style tbh.

RandomMess Mon 15-Aug-16 17:49:11

This is something I would try on, the exact cut & length may or may not work - bit of trial an error.

Have to say it doesn't look good on the model they used, I'd probably need a petite fit

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Multicoloured-Geometric-Shift-Dress/129815770-MultiColoured?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=

RandomMess Mon 15-Aug-16 17:52:10

same with this, I have few silk long tunic tops that I wear as dresses but they are ancient now, from Oasis originally!

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Multicoloured-Roll-Neck-Geometric-Dress/129769136-MultiColoured?searchTerm=:relevance:category:Women_Collections&searchProduct=

Racheyg Mon 15-Aug-16 18:18:40

sesame I got mine from new look. They were only about £20.00 and fit like a glove. I don't get a muffin top either grin

SesameSparkle Mon 15-Aug-16 19:02:52

Thanks racheyg good to know! flowers

NotPennysBoat Mon 15-Aug-16 19:31:51

Thanks for all the suggestions, will have a look in Mango and New Look. I went into Next but was overwhelmed at the number of choices! Might do an online order and try on at home.

KeepOnPlodding Mon 15-Aug-16 22:53:33

Don't be put off by the description but have a look at M&S 'pull on' trousers. They are quite high waisted and ideal for an apple shape as they have a bit of 'give' at the waist.

It does depend what you would wear them with though, you probably wouldn't want to have tops tucked in.

Auntpodder Mon 15-Aug-16 23:02:56

These www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/173707#thumbnailSelect are great and if you live near a branch, they'll shorten them for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now