Talk

Advanced search

What essentials would you buy?

(6 Posts)
TitusAndromedon Sun 14-Aug-16 16:52:39

My husband surprised me with a John Lewis personal shopper, and my appointment is in a few weeks. I had twins almost nine months ago and I will be starting back at work as a secondary teacher (part time) in September.

Since having babies, my whole body feels a bit wrong, and I feel a bit of a mess.

I would like to get some things for work, but maybe also some things for everyday wear. I normally shop at places like H&M and Gap, and my maternity leave 'style' has been jeans and t-shirts. I feel like I want some classic items that will last and look polished, but will still be versatile and useful. I'm also still trying to lose weight and get back in shape after pregnancy.

So, what sort of things would you look for in this situation? I have about £300 to spend, but could probably add a bit more if there were additional items I really loved.

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 18:23:21

Key staples to me would be:

A white shirt - you can get different variations in John Lewis.
Cigerettte trousers- I've always seen them on other people and I think they look really smart. I think they can be quite versatile as well.
A cashmere jumper or cardigan
Silk scarf
A leather tote

I don't know if that's what you would wear but I think those items can be classic and last you for years.

Pisssssedofff Mon 15-Aug-16 19:12:45

Will you have time to iron a shirt and will it stay white with tots sticky fingers ? I like the trousers and scarfs but I'd go with jersey wrap tops for now

LanaorAna1 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:40:52

cashmere jumpers x 2 = 1 in black/dark blue, one in a colour that properly suits you. JL cashmere is machine washable
jacket x 1 = in oversized modern style
trousers, washable

then nip to H&M for a batch of cheap tees & you're off.

puglife15 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:44:46

I'd spend £200 on a great coat then a couple of lovely tops or top and trousers.

But then you might already have a great coat.

Agree with pp to choose a top that needs no hand washing or ironing and can be chucked in tumble dryer.

TitusAndromedon Tue 16-Aug-16 09:55:58

I love the idea of some cashmere cardigans. That would never have occurred to me. I'm also a big fan of the great coat idea, but as I'm still trying to lose weight I worry that it might not last. Well, I'm hopeful, anyway! Perhaps I can work towards getting one at Christmas. I will definitely ensure that everything is machine washable, tumble dryer friendly and, preferably, iron free. I don't really iron at the best of times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now