Is exfoliating every day too much?

(22 Posts)
retainertrainer Sat 13-Aug-16 19:29:12

Just that really-I've got into the habit of exfoliating daily,I like the smooth clean feeling but I wonder if it's somehow damaging.

outofdepth Sat 13-Aug-16 20:24:43

If you're using dermalogica daily microfoliant - you're fine. Otherwise, with a normal exfoliant its best to stick to using it every 30 days

crazybutterflylady Sat 13-Aug-16 20:49:00

Do you mean a granular exfoliant or acid? Acids are fine to use daily and in fact are better used twice a day. If you are using granular, then I'd recommend replacing it with an acid toner/exfoliant, something like Pixi Glow Tonic daily and then twice a week use something like Nip & Fab pads. There are loads of options but most are annoyingly expensive and out of my budget sad

retainertrainer Sat 13-Aug-16 21:47:08

I'm just using St Ives,I had a feeling I shouldn't be doing it every day. Do you know why it's bad? I'll do a bit of googling.

Cakescakescakes Sat 13-Aug-16 22:07:17

I can't get on with acids but love daily exfoliation. I use the Dermalogica microfoliant every day and love it. There are less £££ alternatives - I think Nude make one called fizzy powder or something?

phoolani Sat 13-Aug-16 22:13:15

I think st Ives is now considered to be all kinds of bad (too rough, wrong stuff in it etc), tho I used to love it (umm, smoooth). Defo too much every day I think.

MsKite Sat 13-Aug-16 22:13:17

I think the microbead exfoliants get into the water supply and are swallowed by fish and then by humans and other species when they eat the fish. Apparently they're really bad for everything sad so you shouldn't use them at all.

monkeywithacowface Sat 13-Aug-16 22:25:13

Oh no I us the st Ives stuff everyday and it's now just twigged that maybe that's why my spot prone skin has been getting worse sad

Any recommendations for a face wash for spot prone skin that's also very sensitive?

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 13-Aug-16 23:40:12

Liz Earle's Hot Cloth Cleanse is amazing, Superdrug does a much lower-priced version that's also fab.

Bravura acids are brilliant, and their customer service is great. I never exfoliate with beads any more, and my skin is in the best condition it's ever been in.

ijustwannadance Sat 13-Aug-16 23:51:37

My recommendation for sensitive, spot prone skin is to stop using any products for a few weeks. Just water. See how that goes.

I have always found the more products I use, the worse skin gets. The constant stripping the skin then having to add stuff to counteract this is too much.

I do like Liz Earle cleanse + polish though but no way I could use is the twice daily they recommend.

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 01:08:57

I use this and I think it's great. My skins quite sensitive too so I have to be careful what I put on it.

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FSoap-Glory%25C2%2599-Face-Soap-and-Clarity%25C2%2599-3-in-1-Daily-Detox-Vitamin-C-Facial-Wash-350ml_1683518%2F

I also find simple kind to skin products to be really good.

retainertrainer Sun 14-Aug-16 09:13:33

I can understand why people say St Ives is bad-it does feel very scratchy. I use my dh's micro bead one sometimes and that feels much gentler but I also read the article on how bad for the environment so he's not buying it again. I love soap and glory stuff so I'll have a look at that face wash.

If anyone can suggest a reasonably cheap daily exfoliant that doesn't contain micro beads I'd be very great full.

dementedma Sun 14-Aug-16 09:15:57

Blob of coconut oil which will melt in your hand. Add some sea salt. Exfoliate! All natural products, cheap as chips.

reader77 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:16:44

The NIp + Fab glycolic pass are a decent daily acid exfoliant.

Botanicbaby Sun 14-Aug-16 09:31:00

Best micro exfoliator to use is a home-made one using bicarbonate of soda and a little water.

Try it.

I wouldn't use any exfoliating product on a daily basis. I think the more products you use, the worse your skin is (for me anyway).

Cellardoor23 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:30:02

Simple kind to skin +protecting moisture cream is really good as well. I've seen a noticeable difference in my complexion, it practically glows! Considering I'm almost 30 and I still get Id'd I must be doing something right! Lol

Floisme Sun 14-Aug-16 13:39:59

I think the more products you use, the worse your skin is (for me anyway).
Same here. The nearest I get is wiping off almond oil, very gently, with a flannel. I don't pretend to know the science but instinct tells me that layer is there for a reason.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Sun 14-Aug-16 13:47:26

A microfibre cloth.

OlennasWimple Sun 14-Aug-16 13:49:53

I used to use St Ives scrub everyday too. I now don't use anything except water most days, a small squirt of Cetaphil on days when my face is particularly grubby, and my skin feels as clean as when I was scrubbing it everyday

Kennington Sun 14-Aug-16 13:56:32

I can't think of a good reason why exfoliating would be a good idea everyday. I doubt a dermatologist would recommend it.

cosytoaster Sun 14-Aug-16 13:57:01

I think the more products you use, the worse your skin is (for me anyway)

I also agree with this. If I put too much on mine it either breaks out in spots or, even worse, becomes so dehydrated I can't wear any make up.

drjustinekluk Sun 14-Aug-16 15:09:07

I tend to advise my clients against grainy exfoliators which can be very harsh if used often.

Instead look for products containing glycolic, lactic or salicylic acid to smoothe and brighten your skin. I like Skinceuticals age and blemish cleansing gel or Jan Marini bioglycolic cleanser. If you have oily skin, you may like Neostrata foaming glycolic wash.

Also look into dermaplaning. I do it in my clinic if you're in London. Great to freshen the skin every 4 weeks or so. See www.drjustinekluk.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now