Talk

Advanced search

Why have Sephora not opened shops in the UK or Ireland?

(66 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Sat 13-Aug-16 10:33:14

Just that.
Why have they not bothered to expand. The U.K. would be a huge market for them. Ireland a small market but a shop in Dublin would do so well.
What's the thinking behind their decision does any Mumsnetter know ?

PaperdollCartoon Sat 13-Aug-16 10:34:50

They used to be here, I have fond memories of shopping at Sephora in Kingston as a teenager (about 13/14 years ago) they didn't do so well it seems so closed their UK shops.

Magazinepile Sat 13-Aug-16 10:36:08

I know u wish there were here! When I'm in the states I always have a bit of a splurge and come back with a new suitcase full. no shame

MamaBear98 Sat 13-Aug-16 10:37:56

We're in Ireland and I'm sure my sister would agree with you she's obsessed with make-up

MooMinCow Sat 13-Aug-16 10:39:08

Because we have Boots, Superdrug, Kiko and department store beauty counters that stock all the brands they do!

Though they might do ok if they opened smaller shops selling own brand stuff?

HairsprayQueen Sat 13-Aug-16 10:48:30

Yes I remember them being in Bluewater many years ago.

twilightcafe Sat 13-Aug-16 10:52:58

There was one in Brent Cross shopping centre. Closed in 2004, I think.

I have fond memories of its closing-down sale.

Annarose2014 Sat 13-Aug-16 10:55:11

It would do huge business in Ireland. I heard the MAC concession in Dublin is the biggest selling concession they have outside the States. Bigger than the one on the Champs Elysée.

Irish women buy a lot of product!

GrimDamnFanjo Sat 13-Aug-16 11:41:15

Just back from a holiday spree at a Sephora in France. I really like their own brand product. They are also starting to embrace the Korean interest - I saw TonyMoly on sale and their own brand cushion.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 13-Aug-16 12:13:35

AnnaRose What's stopping them?
They have a Louis Vuitton shop in BTs so the parent company know there is a market.

Nanasueathome Sat 13-Aug-16 12:16:38

Sephora had a fair few shops in the uk a while ago
For some reason the all closed and they pulled out of the U.K. market
No idea why

SnugglySnerd Sat 13-Aug-16 12:22:01

I remember going in one in the UK and I didn't actually think it was that good. Then they all closed so obviously others agreed with me!

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 13-Aug-16 12:28:52

I went to the Lisbon one last year and wasn't impressed. It didn't seem anything like as good as some of the US ones I've been to.

Part of the attraction of the US stores is that they seem cheap to us ( though that may not be the case now with the pound so weak). I'm sure if they opened here we'd pay the usual inflated UK prices.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 13-Aug-16 13:18:03

They were never in Ireland.
Dundrum shopping centre would be a good place for them to open.

HerdsOfWilderbeest Sat 13-Aug-16 13:20:21

I remember the one in Bluewater too. It was big. Near m and s

MadisonAvenue Sat 13-Aug-16 13:27:23

I used to love the one in Merry Hill.
Last time I was in New York I arrived in the city at 9pm, checked into my hotel, dumped my bag in my room and then went straight out to Sephora on Times Square. That shop is my idea of heaven.

Whathaveilost Sat 13-Aug-16 13:46:43

I think I am in a minority as I think they are overrated!

TheCatsBiscuits Sat 13-Aug-16 15:02:40

there was one in Islington, wasn't there? I think any beauty store is really only ever as good as their tester cleaning squad. The more testers, the more chance for claggy, powdery, off-puttingly unhygienic clarty messes. And the N1 Centre Sephora looked like a teen's make-up bag dropped from a great height.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 13-Aug-16 15:49:23

The EU Sephoras are a bit lame - in the US their selection is impossible to resist. Kiko is great though.

leccybill Sat 13-Aug-16 15:53:02

I love Sephora own brand.
Do they still wear one white glove in the stores?
Wish it would come here. Can we not even get it online?

Scarydinosaurs Sat 13-Aug-16 15:54:28

I went to the one in Abu Dhabi and it was amazing. Only a small concession in the airport, but still lots of great products.

I imagine now they're holding off re-opening in UK and Ireland to build demand and anticipation?

KoalaDownUnder Sat 13-Aug-16 16:55:03

They could open in Australia.

That'd be nice. grin

Cockblocktopus Sat 13-Aug-16 17:14:55

They are in Aus Koala!

Melb and Sydney. Both packed and with too few SA and not enough product. Everything was sold out. Online shopping is good though. I've bought in o Perth a couple of times.

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 13-Aug-16 17:20:34

The one in Birmingham was good. I'm in the US at the moment and love the ones over here. All you need in one place. Sephora, Ulta and CVS/Duane Reed are a skincare/make up lovers dream.

Liiinoo Sat 13-Aug-16 18:43:48

I used to love the one in Bluewater. There is a nice one in Lille - not too far on the Eurostar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now