Talk

Advanced search

Jewellery - a classic piece to wear and keep

(18 Posts)
Rollerbird Fri 12-Aug-16 22:10:10

My mum died earlier this year . she had a theft of jewellery from the house by carers. It was a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring my dad bought her in the 1980s and a heavy gold charm bracelet she'd had since she was 18. ( she died aged 90). The insurance sent a letter today saying we can pick jewellery to a specific (large) value. I was hoping for some ideas for some thing I can wear, is a classic and won't date horribly, and preferably might even be an investment for my own children. Any suggestions?

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 12-Aug-16 22:25:13

Why don't you look for a sapphire and diamond ring to kind of replace it? There are some beautiful rings about. I saw a lovely three stone sapphire and diamond platinum ring in Tiffany (similar designs could be bought elsewhere for half the price I'm sure!)
I'm sorry your mum's jewellery was taken - that's really awful flowers

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 12-Aug-16 22:26:30

Without delving too much - could you give a rough idea of what you hope to spend? (A price bracket?) I spend a lot of time looking at jewellery so might have further ideas.

Rollerbird Fri 12-Aug-16 22:45:59

Its £5300 I was shocked!
I like art deco things and that seems pretty classic.
Or a watch? Possibly harder to still be wearable over time?

Rollerbird Fri 12-Aug-16 22:48:52

Realise that amount isn't huge in terms of the beautiful jewellery world.. But it's a LOT more than I would ever anticipate spending on such a thing!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:11:15

That's a pretty healthy budget, especially if you are looking at vintage/second hand jewellery (which if you like Art Deco- I strongly suggest that you do!)

Metal prices are far higher now than they were meaning that the cost for brand new bullion is expensive. If a jeweller has bought something 2nd hand then it's usually bought closer to the scrap price than the retail price which means they can sell it cheaper/ have more wiggle room price wise etc.

I wear a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring that was an Edwardian pin originally. I had it put into a platinum setting and it's now a sturdy (and beautiful) ring.

Definitely shop about, try some different rings on- see what suits your hand. If you find one for a good price you might be able to get a couple of good pieces.

Most importantly- enjoy the process. Don't feel like you need to rush in and buy anything just for the sake of it.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:12:59

Also, I'm not sure if your insurance specified a place that you have to spend the money at. Don't feel bound by it- often they can transfer it to other jewellers who work with insurance companies. They don't like to, but they can!

Rollerbird Fri 12-Aug-16 23:21:13

Got a letter from a valuation company saying that they'd been authorised to allow a spend of that amount and to contact them when a decision had been made I think.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:35:57

Amazing! Free reign to do as you please. Go have some fun, take a friend- try on some rings, ignore sales patter. Get some recommendations for local jewellers- not big chains, you'll get a better buy out of an independent.

Also, feel free to take some pics and get some opinions on here if you get stuck!

Rollerbird Fri 12-Aug-16 23:43:19

I will!
I'll ring them to see if there's any limitations in where to go or timescales.
I'm scared actually of knowing if something's fake\ overpriced etc.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 12-Aug-16 23:43:34

Jewellery auctions can be a real treasure trove.
Try o'rellys fineart.com

hollyisalovelyname Fri 12-Aug-16 23:44:01

Jewellery auctions can be a real treasure trove.
Try o'rellys fineart.com

hollyisalovelyname Fri 12-Aug-16 23:50:45

oreillysfineart.com

flightywoman Fri 12-Aug-16 23:55:43

I think I'd be tempted by diamond earrings. Nice ones that would go with everything.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sat 13-Aug-16 01:07:03

Go with your gut OP. Doing a lot of comparison will tell you what is a good buy and what isn't.

You could read into stone qualities etc but realistically you will be able to tell a nice sapphire (for example) from a not great one just by looking at them. Ditto diamonds, don't get wound up with weights etc- if it looks nice, has good clarity and is a good white/clear colour depending on the cut- you know it must be decent.

18k gold and platinum are more or less interchangeable in price at the moment so if you're going for white metal- I'd push for platinum if you have the choice.

I'm so jealous. Make a good day or two of it :p

Rollerbird Sat 13-Aug-16 07:09:17

Had a quick look online and thinking about going to look in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. Its got shops with older jewellery and we can go for a couple of days. (Excited now)

SimplyNigella Sat 13-Aug-16 07:24:59

The Jewellery Quarter is fab, we bought both of our wedding rings and engagement rings from there. The stone from engagement ring was on a tiny, Victorian engagement ring which hardly fitted on my little finger so the jeweller reset it on a new band and added some extra stones. The jewellers there are fab and will work with you to find or create a piece you love.

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 13-Aug-16 08:58:15

Diamond earrings are always a good idea as a previous poster said! That's a great budget and you'll get something amazing with that!
A nice ring and earrings probably!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now