Talk

Advanced search

Handbags that can stand the test of time

(6 Posts)
StrictlyMumDancing Fri 12-Aug-16 21:50:06

About 8 years ago I bought a DKNY signature three section handbag, the type with the handles inbuilt into the fabric part. It is still without a doubt my favourite and most reliable handbag, but its aging and I tend to keep it hidden away so I can use it for decent occasions.

Fashion appears to have met me again and the same build of handbag seems to be in, but all mainly leather/pleather and separate handles. I'd love to get another bag but I've never had much luck with any other bag lasting so am unsure of paying out a decent amount for a bag that won't live up.

Are there any brands out there known for lasting well even if they're abused a bit? TIA

Nearlyadoctor Fri 12-Aug-16 22:10:31

I find Osprey London bags stand up to a bit of abuse. My work bag I bought 3 years ago and it still looks like new. Gorgeous leather and fabulous patterned inside fabrics.
Love R&B bags but tend to have to look after them a little bit more.
My everyday bag ie: Tesco trips, popping into town etc is a hobo type from white stuff and that is wearing amazingly considering its thrown on the floor of the car etc.

Osprey have a lot of sale bags on their website at the moment!

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 12-Aug-16 22:13:15

I've got a little collection of Mulberry bags I've built up over the years and all of them have stood the test of time. The one I use most is a slouchy hobo sort you can fling stuff into and it's still lovely. And so long as you store them properly Bayswaters will last for years.

DH bought me a LV bag two years ago; it's very pretty but the handles discoloured and it looks tired already. It was more costly than the Mulberry's, but hasn't withstood the wear and tear they have.

burnishedsilver Fri 12-Aug-16 22:46:03

I'm very hard on bags but Coach bags (in pebbled leather, not the softer leather) seem to take a beating and come out like new.

StrictlyMumDancing Fri 12-Aug-16 23:06:39

Thank you all.

I'm clearly no handbag connoisseur grin so the thought of a mulberry or coach without some sort of research terrifies me! If my current one hadn't lasted as long I'd never be considering paying out much again. Hadn't even considered r&b or white stuff, but now having searched they seem quite decent.

I shall have a good mooch in some shops tomorrow and have a good feel of some.

polyhymnia Sat 13-Aug-16 11:33:59

R and B for me. Not as pricy as Mulberry and I like them better! Have quite a few and all have worn well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now