We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

so what do you do when you're not well...

(19 Posts)
GreenGoth89 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:52:34

To keep yourself feeling like you look good. I'm not talking just hungover or a cold but the sort of illness which has you cooped up in the house, or has had you in hospital. Would you even bother? My skin care has gone out the window, my DP shaved my legs last week but that's about as far as I've got. Been in horrible PJs for 3 weeks, today has been my first day out of the house for anything non medical, and I felt like I looked awful. I don't feel great about myself at the best of times (and tbh my DP hasn't been doing much to keep himself in check either), doesn't help I'm using a walking frame to get around the house. Any ideas?

Pisssssedofff Fri 12-Aug-16 21:13:23

If my hair looks ok I can deal with most things, can you go and get a wash and blow dry locally ?

Gunpowder Fri 12-Aug-16 21:17:26

Get a beauty therapist to come to the house! That's the only way I've had any waxing or my nails done since DC. It's usually the same price or cheaper than going to a salon.

Gunpowder Fri 12-Aug-16 21:19:37

Oh and order some prettier pjs or (hate the term, but) 'lounge wear' online?

adagio Fri 12-Aug-16 21:26:11

If you can sit up long enough, mobile hairdresser, mobile beautician to the house (wax inst ad of shave) and yy to loungewear - have diff pjs for day and night to try and maintain a bit of separation.
Get well soon flowers

MarvinGorilla Fri 12-Aug-16 22:07:30

Can you manage to paint your nails at the mo? I always find that lifts my spirits. And maybe get a good mobile hairdresser to come and give you a fuss-free low maintenance cut? I just got mine chopped into a long bob and I can just rough dry it with my head upside down and it looks nice.

As someone else said, if poss invest in some new lounge wear to cheer yourself up, marks and next have good inexpensive selections.

Hoping you feel better soon cakebrewflowers

SilverHawk Fri 12-Aug-16 23:01:00

Huge hugs and flowers I hope that you feel over the worst.
Pick ups for me were fresh sheets and PJs in the early days. Could DP get some cheap PJs from Primark or a supermarket?
Hair was next and I'm sure your hair isn't as barmy as mine. Get a mobile hairdresser. If you live near the hospital their numbers will be advertised somewhere. Can you wash it yourself?
Skin, takes a battering, the hospital is too hot, or too dry you may have breakout spots. take it slowly and just use a scrub and moisturiser for a while.

GreenGoth89 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:45:38

I'm currently struggling to pay the bills so unless I pay my hairdresser in kindness (I also have lots of bright highlights of blue green and purple in my hair so it's normally high maintenance which was possibly stupid with my current state of affairs). I could get the moisturiser out tomorrow if I have any left and then I could paint my nails and maybe figure some other stuff next week. I could do with some nicer PJs maybe next week when be got a bit more money in...

Cakescakescakes Fri 12-Aug-16 23:48:13

Clean hair makes me feel a million times better.

usual Fri 12-Aug-16 23:49:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AhCheeses Sat 13-Aug-16 00:00:01

Hair brushed, tied up or in a plait so it stays neat...
Moisturiser/hand creams. Hospital wards often have E45 cream kicking about, even a bit of that will make your skin feel better. You can get to nice smelling creams next week maybe.
Just being fresh and clean. Showered or full wash if you can...
Trying to keep a bit of routine. Even if it's just having a wash, brushing your teeth, tying your hair up, and putting on fresh PJs...
Simple things until you get a bit more strength and energy.
And be kind to yourself.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

AhCheeses Sat 13-Aug-16 00:01:33

Oh, and drinking plenty of water and getting enough sleep... They'll work wonders too! smile

retainertrainer Sat 13-Aug-16 07:09:44

Long soak in a bubble bath,hair wash,clean pj's and sheets. Just start with that and the rest will follow as your strength returns. Hope you feel better soon.

GreenGoth89 Sat 13-Aug-16 18:26:51

I managed to do nothing but row with the DP all day. Nothing for me.

EnidButton Sat 13-Aug-16 18:41:59

I concentrate on being clean and moisturising. Put hand cream on every night, cuticle butter and keep nails neat. Only because all those things will make you feel nice. Not for anyone else or for looks. And only ever if you can manage it. Look after your well being and health before anything else.

Get a nice over sized snuggley dressing gown and fluffy socks if you can. They're very comforting.

Sorry you've had such a rotten day. sadflowers

EnidButton Sat 13-Aug-16 18:44:00

What do you mean by your DP not keeping himself in check? I know this is in S&B and not relationships but I do hope he's generally being kind to you and taking care of you.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sat 13-Aug-16 18:50:36

I'm in the same situation. I'm recovering from surgery and then subsequent complications and can only leave the house with a 'babysitter' (can't drive, can't walk past the end of the driveway, etc).

To be honest, I've never felt uglier! I rarely wear makeup as I don't see the point when I'm at home all day, I'm restricted in what clothes I can wear due to my surgery, my hair hasn't been trimmed in months, I've put on weight as I'm not moving much and comfort eating.

Today, I gave myself a shake and blow dried my hair, with product shock, then curled it a little. No make up but I'm taking baby steps. I'll do that tomorrow

Have a bath, moisturis, put on make up, do your hair, paint your nails. That's my plan.

flowers for you

EnidButton Sat 13-Aug-16 19:05:44

Make up wise if you want to put some on, under eye concealer, blusher, mascara and pink lip gloss. Don't bother with foundation and eyeshadows.

GreenGoth89 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:16:23

Enid tbh not really he's struggling and we had a major row last weekend too...he's doing what he can - making food, making sure I've taken my meds and stuff but we're both unhappy right now - being skint and pretty much housebound as I can't be left alone for very long. He won't have social services come and take over more of my care, he feels I should push myself more but I just end up in this spiral of pain and exhaustion. I did get properly dressed today but that's it. Might try and see if I can get into the shower later with a seat, too painful to get out of the bath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now