Talk

Advanced search

acne/pregnancy

(8 Posts)
sksk Fri 12-Aug-16 13:33:50

Any suggestions- I'm getting more frequent breakouts-the painful ones- I realise the options are limited for topical treatments and face washes will only go so far. I am using the usual methods of trying not to over wash/scrub but clearly I am getting a lot of oil and keep getting spots! I used a Belli face wash in my last pregnancy but don't know if that helped or my skin was just getting better as the pregnancy progressed. Many thanks.

Absolom Sat 13-Aug-16 22:21:15

I had it dreadfully for my last pregnancy. It was awful and unfortunately there was nothing I could do to stop it. I ended I having to go on antibiotics once I had finished breastfeeding. Not sure if there's anything you can take now but I'd be going to a dr for suggestions at this stage. Mine were super painful and like nothing I'd ever experienced before even in my teens. I had a whole bunch of new ones at the end of each day.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sat 13-Aug-16 22:30:17

Hi, I agree with pp, in my first pregnancy my skin was terrible and I ended up being prescribed a cream for spots at my 6 week post natal check. It wasn't safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding though so not sure if my doctor could have done anything while still pregnant anyway. I asked my midwife while pregnant first time and she just said ask the GP if I still had spots a few weeks after delivery. I didn't push any further as I know doctors are quite rightly reluctant to prescribe in pregnancy unless essential. I thought my skin must be really oily to have so many spots but actually when I eventually got rid of the spots I was told it was dry.

Second pregnancy I was prepared. As soon as my skin started getting bad I sought advice (from Lush of all places as they were the shop that calmed down my skin once I'd had my first baby). I got products to suit my skin. I still got spots and redness but my skin was so, so much better than first time around. Maybe it would have been better anyway but I felt much better knowing I was trying to keep it under control from the start.

RobberBride Sat 13-Aug-16 23:35:23

Go and see your GP. I'm having fertility treatment, which initially gave me awful hormonal acne. I went in armed with evidence about all of the different drugs and how they affected fertility/pregnancy and she prescribed Finecea (azelaic acid) which is reasonably gentle, effective, safe in pregnancy, and also helps with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks. It won't stop spots from starting, but it does prevent them developing and they tend to vanish without leaving marks.

sksk Sun 14-Aug-16 08:40:00

Thanks. I'm persevering with a lactic acid lotion from Eucerin. I occasionally apply some benzoyl peroxide to the spots. I'll see how this continues as I agree with previous posters that GPs would be reluctant to prescribe anything while pregnant.

RobberBride Sun 14-Aug-16 09:39:16

Sksk can I ask which Eucerin lactic acid lotion? I've been eyeing those up, but there are about 5 different ones.

sksk Mon 22-Aug-16 15:13:57

Hi Robberbride. Sorry for the delay. It is the Dermopurifyer serum concentrate. I think it is around 9 pounds in Boots but I got it in a 3 for 2. I'm also trialling a boots tea tree and witch hazel toning lotion but it's a bit alcohol heavy so might be drying in the long run.

MrsBosh Mon 22-Aug-16 15:46:00

I believe Duac cream (prescription only) is safe in pregnancy. Good luck - hope you get it sorted asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now