Talk

Advanced search

Dress over trousers?

(12 Posts)
TychosNose Fri 12-Aug-16 13:06:26

I know it's a bit trinny and susannah in the 90s but I'm going back to work and have to look smartish. Since I last worked I've had two dc and have a great big cellulite arse to show for it.
I have some nice work trousers but my bum looks so hideous that I don't know if I dare wear them!
I'm considering something like this short dress, possibly with a belt, over slim fit beige work trousers.
Will i look crap?

ItGoesWithoutSaying Fri 12-Aug-16 13:21:36

I have never "got" the dress over trousers thing - especially dress over jeans. Why not leggings?

Floisme Fri 12-Aug-16 13:22:42

Oh I love a dress over narrow or skinny trousers. But it is roundly mocked around these parts.

However I would say that dress is too short to work with trousers as it will still draw the eye up towards your bum, which will then look even larger as there will be two layers covering it. I would go for something around knee length, to create a bit of space between arse and hemline.

reallyanotherone Fri 12-Aug-16 13:26:15

Won't it be hot wearing twice as much?

Plus two layers round your waist and arse will surely just bulk it out?

TychosNose Fri 12-Aug-16 13:34:00

Thanks.
I thought it might not be popular.
I'm probably around 5inches shorter than the model so it'd be longer on me. Maybe not long enough though.
Leggings not smart enough and I look shit in them due to fat legs and cankles. Better off bare legs or tights.
So depressing trying to find something that looks nice and I can afford!

Floisme Fri 12-Aug-16 13:44:04

Don't give up, my 19 year old niece was wearing a knee length shift dress over skinny trousers the last time I saw her. (Admittedly she changed into something short and tight to go out in.) I think it's a really elegant look and completely different from a dress with leggings.

TychosNose Fri 12-Aug-16 13:58:54

Thanks Flo
I'll keep searching.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 12-Aug-16 14:18:06

It only works of you're tall and slim and get the proportions right, which is tricky.

rightknockered Fri 12-Aug-16 14:33:34

I've seen a young girl walking past my house wearing a slip dress over a t-shirt, with cropped jeans. She looked fab

banivani Fri 12-Aug-16 15:20:10

If the dress is short enough (basically like all the dresses I can get here in Sweden, they're saving on fabric) it's a tunic, so grand to wear with any trousers. ;)

ChishandFips33 Fri 12-Aug-16 15:28:17

I do it all the time - I tend to wear jeggings and turn them up to flash some ankle

Some dresses work better than others

DelicatePreciousThing1 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:53:16

Noooooo! A dress over trousers is ridiculous and must surely be uncomfortable and hot. Leggings under a dress - ditto.
Black opaque tights look great with a dress, however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now