Talk

Advanced search

I'm never using body lotion again!

(12 Posts)
SlinkyVagabond Fri 12-Aug-16 10:23:33

So had a <ahem> intimate problem. I never use soap or shower gel down there, but dr said to use aqueous cream (the big cheapo jar from chemist) to clean down below. Been doing it for a few days and dh has remarked on how soft the skin on my bum and thighs is. blush so been using it all over and what a difference! My skin has never been so smooth and soft. And then I shaved my legs with it! Magic!

squoosh Fri 12-Aug-16 11:07:41

Be careful using it as a moisturiser as it can thin the skin over time and leave you with irritated skin.

SlinkyVagabond Fri 12-Aug-16 11:12:50

Really? Bollox. Been washing it off though.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 12-Aug-16 11:15:12

Aqueous cream shouldn't thin the skin. A steroid cream like hydrocortisone would do but aqueous cream is just very thick and moisturising.

Chinks123 Fri 12-Aug-16 11:16:06

I was told over a period of time aqueous cream can thin the skin confused DD uses it for her excema, as it's a medicine it shouldn't be used for a prolonged period of time.

WallToWallBastards Fri 12-Aug-16 11:17:40

I've always been told you shouldn't moisturise with it, it's best used as a soap substitute? Maybe that's just for eczema though.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 12-Aug-16 11:19:27

Just double checked because I was doubting myself: aqueous cream is fine for washing but there is evidence it should not be left on the skin because it can cause itching and redness is some children with eczema and there are better emollients available. Nothing to do with skin thinning though so you can enjoy your lovely soft bum and thighs without worry grin

www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/aqueous-cream-may-cause-skin-irritation

Chinks123 Fri 12-Aug-16 11:21:15

It is aggravating for some people and makes their excema worse but for others like DD we use it as a moisturiser and it works wonders, you can also use it as a wash. I wouldn't worry op anyway

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 12-Aug-16 11:21:23

I take it back, there is evidence of skin thinning in some adults.

Interesting. I'm going to switch to something else now. Thank you flowers

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 12-Aug-16 11:22:19

...but if it's not as good I'm switching back grin

squoosh Fri 12-Aug-16 11:28:44

Really? Bollox. Been washing it off though.

If you're washing it off it should be fine. I think the problem arises when it's left on the skin.

OpenMe Fri 12-Aug-16 11:29:20

I have spot prone skin (still as i approach 50, my Dad promised I'd grow out of it!)

Over the years I've tried all kinds of creams and cleansers which often have just made it worse. I now use aqueous cream and a hot cloth and double cleanse and actually have not a single spot ATM. usually just having a couple means my skin's behaving. Love the stuff.

I had to uses it 5 times daily on DS2 when he was a baby and had the nicest, softest hands I've every had, despite them spending ridiculous amounts of time in water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now