We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Curly girl method just doesn't agree with me!

(8 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Thu 11-Aug-16 08:34:32

I've been doing the cg routine for over 6 months now but although my curls look good, it's just not agreeing with my scalp. I've tried different products and it took me a while to find ones that work for me but I'm still having issues.

My hair has been falling out twice as much since I started. I know people will say it only looks like a lot is falling out etc etc, but mine actually is coming out in clumps. It's noticeably thinner. I get bloods done regularly for a medical issue so I know it's not a thyroid problem of vitamin deficiency.

Another thing I've noticed is that since starting cg, my scalp doesn't tolerate hair dye. Despite doing patch tests up to a week in advance and having no reaction, when I dye my scalp becomes extremely itchy for up to a week afterwards. Never happened me before.

I have read up about it and seemingly I'm not the only one suffering these problems. Tempted to go back to low-poo and lift the silicone embargo to see if things improve confused

Clankboing Thu 11-Aug-16 08:44:05

I had this too. I ended up with a fungal infection on my scalp, discovered as the whole family sent me to the doctors as they were sick of my hair falling out. I was given a liquid application that was really soothing when applied. Tbh I had to forget types of shampoo and now use the one that doesn't cause problems (ultimate blends). The ones like body shop rainforest shampoo caused the issues. I find if I have the correct cut my hair is good.

HughLauriesStubble Thu 11-Aug-16 08:50:50

Thanks clankboing my family are sick to death of it too, it seems that every time we sit down to dinner someone ends up with a mouthful of my hair blush <vomit> I'm thinking of starting to wear a hairnet! Interesting that it was the expensive stuff that was making your problems worse. Do you still wear your hair curly?

Thecatgotmytongue Thu 11-Aug-16 14:25:48

Interesting .. I use BS Rainforest and expected it to do wonderful things for my hair and scalp but I lose lots of hair too, altho it's possibly my age. I'm fed up of trying to do the right thing and it not working sad

Clankboing Thu 11-Aug-16 23:42:04

Yes I do still wear it curly and have a good routine to keep it so. I never felt clean with the cgm and don't really struggle to get it to curl. I feel as if long layers are best for me personally and in a long bob.

BobbinThreadbare123 Fri 12-Aug-16 13:25:48

I tried it, but lasted about a week because my scalp felt horrible. You don't get the friction that cleans properly (the shampoo isn't cleaning, as such; it's the frictions, but conditioner only is too slippy for this). I use Johnson's baby shampoo and that seems to work similarly.

Thecatgotmytongue Fri 12-Aug-16 15:34:44

Today I've washed with shampoo (Tres semme) and conditioned with Aussie conditioner instead of using organic sls and 'cone free products and for the first time in ages my hair feels silky and clean and isn't frizzy confused

GobblersKnob Fri 12-Aug-16 17:55:39

I hate tried it a few times for quite long periods and have concluded that I HATE it grin

I use low poo, no cones and still plop and find my curls are just as nice, but my hair and scalp are also clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now