Talk

Advanced search

I fancy a mini backpack (like Whistles Verity) - is this a bad idea?

(10 Posts)
NeonPinkNails Wed 10-Aug-16 21:18:41

I love this Whistles Verity but a) I can't afford it and b) I had something very similar in the 90s so maybe not a good idea to revisit?! Could I be one step away from wearing it with platform trainers and a crop top?

Assuming that I haven't taken leave of my senses has anyone seen anything similar but for a two figure sum instead of three?

chebella Wed 10-Aug-16 21:54:46

Not seen one but fully understand the appeal (am similar age I suspect so might be nostalgia/early onset dementia)!

mysteryfairy Wed 10-Aug-16 22:26:08

I've got a larger one. I bought it after being resentful of carrying a tote bag on holiday last year when all my family had rucksacks that looked easier to manage. I wasn't keen to have an actual hiking type thing though. I used it on holiday a bit ago and still using it as my handbag for work as I'm too lazy to switch stuff over. I like it but tend to only carry it on one shoulder as feels a bit vulnerable to theft.

Ginkypig Wed 10-Aug-16 22:36:16

Ooh I had one the the late 90's I was a sort of mulberry purple colour

I fucking loved it and have never found a bag I liked more!

I did only used to carry my fags and enough money for the bus and sometimes a half bottle

I would worry now about theft too though

SesameSparkle Thu 11-Aug-16 00:39:07

I have a leather handbag backpack from the 90s. It was a huge mistake when I bought it, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. Recently I rediscovered it, and now I love it and have used it loads. So much so that I'm now looking for a replacement.....

mamalovesmojitos Thu 11-Aug-16 00:55:52

I want one too! Also wondering is it a mistake. Went walking around some touristy spots yesterday, and my shoulder was so uncomfortable from my cross- body bag.

LoloKazoloh Thu 11-Aug-16 10:00:40

We used to wear each other's mini rucksacks on nights out, so you could get your fags out on the dance floor just by dancing up to your mate. Take a Break top tip 1996. grin

daftbesom Thu 11-Aug-16 13:21:49

I love them. Much better for your back. But awkward in crowded shops/ cities and need to make sure your valuables can't be got at (e.g. most of mine have a zipped pocket that lies against your back where I keep keys , phone and money).

I made a real mistake buying a beautiful silver one from New Look a couple years ago with a badly designed catch that flops open if the bag is hopelessly overstuffed with all my junk a bit full.

SesameSparkle Thu 11-Aug-16 16:59:43

They also have these beautiful bags in Jigsaw. But I want one that costs half the price.

NeonPinkNails Thu 11-Aug-16 19:53:53

I actually saw the mini Verity in real life today and discovered I didn't like it very much! It's a lovely bag but the hardware is very blingy gold and that puts me off. I saw quite a few backpacks around though but nothing I liked - trudging around London all day has definitely convinced me I want one though, it'd be so practical!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now