Cruelty free products for sensitive skin with acne

(3 Posts)
MeadowHay Tue 09-Aug-16 21:51:05

I am 22 and have been battling acne on and off since I was about 13. The best thing that has worked for it is the combined contraceptive pill. I came off that about two years ago - really regret it now! I have just gone back on it and I'm hoping it will help clear up my skin but I'm aware we are talking months before any significant difference. At the moment I would describe my acne as moderate, my skin is very oily, and I have very sensitive skin. I would also love the products to be cruelty free if possible.

I tried using the chammomile oil cleanser from The Body Shop as I've seen loads of people raving about it on here and if anything it actually seemed to make my skin worse. I haven't used it for the last 3 weeks and my skin seems very marginally better for it. I sometimes apply tea trea oil to my big red spots but I'm not sure whether it really makes any difference so at the moment I've given up.

I'm using a Simple face wash at the moment, not seeing a negative or positive change. Using B.'s micellar water from Superdrug after washing it and then again in the evening, again no change but I've only been using it a couple of weeks.

Help me! Willing to try anything really, any suggestions?

midnightmoomoo Tue 09-Aug-16 23:05:14

I feel for you because I have similar skin (although I'm older than you) and would also prefer cruelty free products where possible. I have finally sorted my skin this year but sadly not cruelty free. I decided to think of sorting my skin as more 'medicinal' rather than cosmetic if that makes sense.

Superdrug own products are worth looking at as they are ok, as are Aime products (you can def get these in Waitrose). Green People do a fragrance free range and one for teenage skin which is good.

It depends quite how you view cruelty free, as I understand it, if a company sells in China (has stores there) then they have to agree to China conducting experiments on animals even if up to that point the ingredients and/or product has not been tested on animals. Do some research and decide what level your ok with. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to advise more though.

midnightmoomoo Tue 09-Aug-16 23:11:15

What I should have said is what worked for me is this

Cleanse with Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser, removed with muslin cloth in warm water

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo cream on t-zone

Olay Total Effects moisturiser in fragrance free.

No scrubs or masks, no touching face if poss. I wear make up but not layers so the Avene took my make up off fine. I used Clearasil sensitive face wash in the mornings (had it for my DS) which is great because it has the salicylic acid to treat spots but isn't drying on the skin.

Good luck, a lot of it is trial and error because what someone swears by wont necessarily work for you. I have a friend with perfect skin and she uses Dove soap and Nivea day cream for dry skin. I am completely envious!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now