Talk

Advanced search

What's your worst buy this year?

(146 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:50:31

Inspired by the useful thread. I bought a superdry bomber with a fluffy hood this winter. It was I think £85. It looked fab for about a month then it started shedding lining under the arms in white lumps which lin like I have some crazy disease. Then one of the Zips broke. It's going in the charity shop nah soon and I've had it about 9 months. Unimpressed!
Please guide me with what else not to waste my cash on grin

thenightsky Tue 09-Aug-16 20:52:21

Hair products. Endless bottles of bloody hair products. All useless. I hate to bin them though. It seems so wasteful.

Polkadot1974 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:20:56

Navy brogues with weird pointy toes. Nice from sides but when I look down I hate them

Blueberry234 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:23:50

furry Gillet I don't know what I was thinking

DoitotmeSheldon Tue 09-Aug-16 21:24:31

YY to the hair products, I'm reverting back to my natural hair texture so lots of trial and error. I also tried the Laura Geller foundation they keep banging on about on QVC, it looked really weird on me. instead of building up to give me more coverage, it just made me look more and more orange (but still letting my blemishes shine through)

wobblywonderwoman Tue 09-Aug-16 21:26:20

I have gone through a few foundations abd dumped them

Really need to get a nice one and primer.

I bought a few tops from tu and sainsburys and they were a really funny shape on me
Luckily they didn't break the bank

CoolToned Tue 09-Aug-16 21:39:02

Definitely foundation. I had an "obsessive phase" early this year when I thought my skin was getting ugly because of age. I must have gotten all the popular ones to try.

Then you know what helped? Glycolic. Now I'm back to wearing nothing!

CoolToned Tue 09-Aug-16 21:40:48

Also, probably not worst but I bought a leather jacket online that I knew would be too small for me because I just had to have it. And I thought I'd lose weight and fit into it next year.

I don't know what came over me.

DoitotmeSheldon Tue 09-Aug-16 21:42:53

Glycolic you say....interesting, I'll have to look it up

WellTidy Tue 09-Aug-16 21:45:33

M and S denim skirt. It is too short and I am too old and podgy. I was delusional.

Fuckoffdailymailyoufuckers Tue 09-Aug-16 21:46:02

Mac liquid eyeliner. Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean I can magically do liquid eyeliner flicks properly. Still looks like my 2 year old stabbed me repeatedly in the eye with a sharpie.

Kylie lip kit in some shade of brown. When I wore it, Dh said my lips were now the exact same shade as a bum hole.

IcedVanillaLatte Tue 09-Aug-16 21:51:22

Licensed BBC hoodie.

I have a lot of hoodies and wear one every day. I like a high cotton:polyester ratio as hoodies with a high polyester content pill and pick up bits on the outside, the fleece bobbles up on the inside, they feel crackly, and they squeak when you touch them with your fingernails (sets my teeth on edge). So I check the ratio before I buy. I usually buy unbranded bright hoodies and they're good. The BBC one didn't list the cotton:polyester ratio but I assumed it'd be decent quality, so I spent my Christmas money on it (as it was far more expensive than I'd usually buy).

Cheap nasty high-polyester blend. Looked knackered after the first wash (and before that, actually - started pilling at the cuffs just from wearing it!) because it picked up every fibre from the other clothes and incorporated it into horrible grey bobbles.

I was livid; I don't have a big clothes budget and had splashed out sad

CoolToned Tue 09-Aug-16 21:57:44

DoItToMeSheldon

Yeah, my skin was kinda rough and I was not used to that and I thought it was age catching up - I've always had good skin. Few weeks of glycolic took away the dry skin on the surface.

IcedVanillaLatte Tue 09-Aug-16 22:00:10

Oops, sorry, that was super long. You can tell how irritated I was grin

FDM and American Apparel hoodies are nice and comfy and a decent ratio BTW!

Claraoswald36 Tue 09-Aug-16 22:01:22

Fuckoff - try the soap and glory one supercat - it's like a felt tip it's pretty good. Draw it on and get it perfect with a cotton bud you have dampened it's easy enough.

Pp please explain about this glycolic business.....

thenightsky Tue 09-Aug-16 22:05:55

Gah. Tried glycolic thing last year in May. Gave me psoriasis of the face that took me till October to get rid of using a combo of sudocreme and hydrocortisone cream.

mrssmith79 Tue 09-Aug-16 22:06:36

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer. Spent a kings ransom on a huge tub and discovered on first use that it gives me head hives. My sister, who i've passed it on to, is delighted.

IcedVanillaLatte Tue 09-Aug-16 22:07:55

If you buy FDM, though, you want the original hoodie, not the tagless! Tagless has a worse polyester: cotton ratio and while the taglessness is highly desirable for someone like me for whom comfort is utterly paramount because I'm incredibly fussy and don't like being neck-tortured all day you can always remove the tags from the original hoodie.

FDM also seem to be a pretty ethical business so there's that.

IcedVanillaLatte Tue 09-Aug-16 22:13:59

The zip-through is a bad ratio too.

Ahem. I'm a hoodie-obsessive. I promise I'll stop now.

DrPixiePants Tue 09-Aug-16 22:15:30

Iced vanilla I envy your passion! Please don't change grin

Nabootique Tue 09-Aug-16 22:17:32

Jeffree Star liquid lipsticks. I bought two. Formula is horrible and they don't last.

CoolToned Tue 09-Aug-16 22:23:31

Glycolic acid is a chemical exfoliant. It gets rid of dead skin cells, and is used in anti-aging routines with tretinoin.

IcedVanillaLatte Tue 09-Aug-16 22:23:47

You don't want to get me going on canvas shoes… grin

CoolToned Tue 09-Aug-16 22:24:12

thenightsky - sad to hear you reacted badly to the glycolic.

BeJayKayven Tue 09-Aug-16 22:26:25

On Saturday night after wine I ordered a curling/straightening ceramic iron from Amazon. Yes, apparently it does both hmm
It hasn't arrived yet, I fully expect it to be shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now