Talk

Advanced search

What is the most useful item of clothing or accessory you have bought this year?

(139 Posts)
Rudymentary Tue 09-Aug-16 11:07:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhingySquirrel Tue 09-Aug-16 11:08:57

I bought there long sleeved black Jersey tops that go with everything and wash well.

Tagetes Tue 09-Aug-16 11:17:49

I know we probably reached and passed peak parka long ago but - a parka. Fatface - slightly big but that means it's long and with room for jumpers underneath. Can't wait for it to be winter so I can wear it again.

LaConnerie Tue 09-Aug-16 11:32:49

Really dull but it's a little round clip which turns normal bras into racer back bras.

I've since been able to wear loads of tops I couldn't before.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Tue 09-Aug-16 11:36:12

Not glamorous at all but my breastfeeding vests that sit under your bra so you dont have to be constantly tugging tops down.

Also my didriksons waterproof coat. It's knee length and has an amazing hood. I live in Scotland so have had plenty of cause to use it already!

ParadiseCity Tue 09-Aug-16 11:37:12

LaConnerie I didn't know such a thing existed but now realise how much I need one! Do you know anywhere on the high street that sells them please?

Rudymentary Tue 09-Aug-16 11:41:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biscuitkumquat Tue 09-Aug-16 11:43:00

I bought a handbag organiser, and on the advice of DM spent a few quid on it, so it's decent quality.

I'm now changing handbags much more often, and I can actually find things that were before languishing in the bottom of my bags

ItchyArmpits Tue 09-Aug-16 11:44:47

I got 10 racer back clips for 1.99 on eBay. They are brilliant.

SharingMichelle Tue 09-Aug-16 11:44:54

Long black dress from... can't remember. Zara i think. Maybe Mango. High neck, no sleeves, light t-shirt fabric. Flattering and so bloody useful. Have worn it for every conceivable social occasion.

LaConnerie Tue 09-Aug-16 11:48:47

Yes mine were bought online too - Amazon or Ebay for a couple of £. There were six in the pack, two black, two white and two nude, and also a bonus roll of tit tape! Don't know if I'll ever use it though!!

LaConnerie Tue 09-Aug-16 11:50:45

Sorry just realised you asked for High Street - apparently Next do a pack of three for £4. Actually most high street underwear stores probably sell them - Debenhams, M&S etc...

elastamum Tue 09-Aug-16 11:51:56

A pink north face sleeveless puffa. I work from home in a big old house, that can be cold and it has made my life so much more comfortable. Also biker style UGG boots - for the same reason.

90daychallenger Tue 09-Aug-16 11:52:30

A mint green zip-up hoody from a really grimy ex-catalogue shop. It was £5. It's a beautiful colour and makes a nice change from my staple bleach-stained black hoody I use for dog walking. Makes me look like I've actually made some kind of effort to put clothes on rather than rolled out of a skip.

0ellenbrody0 Tue 09-Aug-16 11:54:23

Re: bra clips. I use a paper clip!

I bought a Parka London parka in the sales, which I've been really pleased with and had a lot of wear out of.

Other than that, a red cotton dress. It's really refreshed my wardrobe, and is a bit of a departure for me. I've worn it loads.

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Aug-16 11:58:01

Biscuit, I have a handbag organiser too!

Hmmm, not sure on most useful... currently a voluminous but very light tie-dye dress bought in Thailand is coming in v useful in Vietnam grin

I'm still looking for a decent handbag organiser. What did you both go for?

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Aug-16 12:01:39

I can't remember exactly but I think I got it on Amazon. Has 2 big zip pouches, a non zip and 4 small ones. And little carry handles!

ZansForCans Tue 09-Aug-16 12:05:34

Kind of forest green, but with tweedy colours mixed in, soft and cuddly, thick but light, relaxed v-neck jumper. From Plumo in the sale. It was one of those things I wasn't looking for at all at the time (spring) but just saw it and thought that is so so me, so I knew I'd wear it a lot. Have actually worn it loads already in the chilly spring and colder summer evenings. Just goes with everything, feels great, looks nice, colour suits me and so easy to throw on.

I know that this is the best way to buy stuff - don't look for a particular item, but buy only when something really grabs you. But I forget and break my own rules!

ZansForCans Tue 09-Aug-16 12:07:44

SharingMichelle agree a long black jersey dress is the most useful thing ever in summer. I have two (though not bought this year) and wear them all the time - one sleeveless, one with t-shirt-style sleeves. Best discovery of the last few years!

Pantsalive Tue 09-Aug-16 12:09:02

Walking boots. It says a lot about how my life has changed.

Hagothehills Tue 09-Aug-16 12:23:21

As boring as it sounds orthotic inserts for my shoes. I am pain free walking for the first time in ten years (old injury has left me with a very messed up knee that has never really healed --and keeps getting bloody re-injured--). I have so much more energy I bloody love them!

KatharinaRosalie Tue 09-Aug-16 12:48:19

Wonderbra Ultimate strapless bra (I've had it before, just have changed size). Allows to wear this summer's bardot tops and dresses, and anything strappy/one shoulder/racer back where you don't want to have your bra straps showing.

ThisUsernameIsAvailable Tue 09-Aug-16 12:55:21

Mine is just well fitting clothes, nothing specific but I've lost a lot of weight and the fit of the new clothes makes me look better and gives me more confidence instead of the frump I was while still wearing the clothes that were 2 sizes bigger. I hadn't realised what dress size I was and the difference until I tried these on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now