Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to improve hair texture?

(21 Posts)
Fuzzypeggy Mon 08-Aug-16 21:21:47

When I dyed my hair dark to cover grey, it was shiny and sleek. Now I put a blond dye over the whites which works well and looks like natural highlights. The blond just adds colour, doesn't bleach it. Now though, my hair is coarse and wiry and never ever looks or feels sleek. Is there any way I can change this? It feels like totally new hair, as if I've got someone else's hair and I don't know what to do with it

couldntlovethebearmore Mon 08-Aug-16 21:32:46

I've been using a leave in keratin treatment after every wash for a year now. My hairdresser the other day commented on how much better the condition is and how much easier to blow dry

BeJayKayven Mon 08-Aug-16 21:35:33

I started using a tangle teaser on mine, wet and dry, it has made a huge difference to the smoothness.

Fuzzypeggy Mon 08-Aug-16 21:36:16

Ooh I think I've heard of keratin treatments but u thought they were straightening treatments. After every single wash though? Is it expensive?

Fuzzypeggy Mon 08-Aug-16 21:39:11

I can get a tangle teaser, thanks.
Any ideas what's caused the change? I thought the old permanent brown dye was bad for my hair but seems it made it lovely and smooth

BeJayKayven Mon 08-Aug-16 21:43:20

Maybe just a bit over-processed? You could maybe try a hair and nail supplement to help support a healthy growth.

Fuzzypeggy Mon 08-Aug-16 21:47:08

I only let it dry naturally, straighten occasionally and all the brown dye has grown out. The blond dye is a reasonably natural one with no bleach so I'm not sure what processes I could cut down on, it feels like the most natural it's been in years. Maybe grey hair unless dyed dark is wiry and coarse anyway? It's a fair question though, bejay. I eat tons of fish and nuts and avocados so my diet should be perfect for hair. I'm confused!!

BeJayKayven Mon 08-Aug-16 21:57:16

My grey hair is very course too - the dye definitely smooths it and adds shine, I can't see myself ever letting it go au naturale 😀

couldntlovethebearmore Mon 08-Aug-16 22:25:06

You can get keratin treatments in most places. I use the touch of silver keratin shots

skblondie Wed 10-Aug-16 22:51:06

Lightening hair is more damaging because it strips the colour out the hair. Darker hair also always looks healthier and shinier because it reflects the light where lighter hair looks flatter because it absorbs the light. A good treatment every time u wash for 2 weeks to improve the quality of your hair then once a week will help. ;)

Jaimx86 Wed 10-Aug-16 22:55:38

John Masters Neroli Detangler worked a treat on my dry hair.

MiaowJario Thu 11-Aug-16 01:15:19

John Masters Sweet Orange and Silk Protein Styling Gel also works wonders.

Jaimx86 Thu 11-Aug-16 07:28:39

Miaow - what's that like/do? I'm a big JM fan but haven't tried that.

Tinklypoo Thu 11-Aug-16 07:40:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinklypoo Thu 11-Aug-16 07:43:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 07:43:52

Have you tried a hair oil? I use Loreal Extraordinary oil - not the one for coloured hair as bizarrely that isn't as good as the original.

joellevandyne Thu 11-Aug-16 08:06:33

So have you gone from dark hair to light by dyeing it? If so, that will be why your hair is coarse. Lightening hair damages it. In short, when you colour hair permanently, the dye contains a chemical (usually ammonia) that breaks apart the keratin bonds in your hair in order to change the colour. Some of these bonds are then repaired during the colouring process, but some remain broken. Broken bonds are what makes your hair coarse and prone to breakage.

What you need is a product called Olaplex, which repairs broken bonds. A keratin treatment alone will not do this, though it will temporarily make your hair smoother.

As an aside, blonde hair will never be as shiny as dark hair, as it doesn't reflect light as well. But you can definitely improve its condition with Olaplex.

Manupprincess Thu 11-Aug-16 08:17:08

Try a little bit of coconut oil run through the length but not roots. It's really helped my hair because sleek and soft after being really run down post pregnancy

DoloresVanCartier Thu 11-Aug-16 08:38:18

I'm afraid that sometimes happens when the colour pigment is no longer in the hair, the texture can change too.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 11-Aug-16 17:27:31

Thanks everyone. Yes I did wonder if not dying it dark it what has changed with regard to the texture. The blond dye doesn't bleach or lighten, it just adds colour to the White, but maybe it just doesn't give the shine that dark dyes do. I tried sleeping with coconut oil on my hair but it did nothing. Morocco oil doesn't do much but I will try the suggestions, thanks.
I don't think it will be hormonal as in only 37 but certainly no offence taken! I guess it's just because I've stopped dying it dark and letting the White come through, albeit colouring the White blond.

MiaowJario Thu 11-Aug-16 22:06:03

IJaimx86 Well, ina nutshell makes it silky and smooth and manageable. I just apply a wee bit after I wash my hair and let it air dry. It makes my usually slightly frizzy/kinky dry hair dry straight without heatstyling.

It goes all shiny, smooth and swishy with precisely zero styling effort. This means over time the condition has improved a lot because no blow dryer/straighteners on a daily basis, occasionally give it a blast with dryer if in a hurry, but it just needs to be a blast, no styling needed.

It's not poker straight, still has some volume/movement but Ina sleek shiny way. When I had a longer bob with flicky ends, it made them all flick nicely. Now I have a shorter bob, and miracle of miracles, the ends turn under nicely without heat styling.

I use a tiny bit each day and a bottle lasts me about 4-5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now