Hair colouring novice

(3 Posts)
Albaba Mon 08-Aug-16 18:02:04

Ok I am in my late thirties and have just started to notice grey hairs coming through. In the past I would have got an occasional one and just plucked it out. Now I don't have loads but am definitely starting to get more.

I have dark brown hair and apart from about 15 years ago when I had a few high lights put in to my hair have never had my hair coloured. I just go for the same thing every time, a cut and blow dry every few months.

My problem is I don't know what to ask for when I phone the hairdressers. Would I get my whole head of hair coloured and how much would it be likely to cost? I have looked online and the whole t-bar, meches, foils etc just to me seems very confusing. Also if I start now does this mean I will be colouring forever?

Can anyone help? I am very naïve and inexperienced when it comes to hair colouring. Thanks.

KiwiKay Mon 08-Aug-16 22:43:56

I don't know about hairdresser colouring as I always do my own. I usually need to dye mine every 4 weeks and I think it's cheaper to do myself. However, I know some people who struggle to do it themselves and feel more confident going to a hairdresser.

If you decide to try it yourself first then my favourite hair colour is Loreal Prodigy - I use shade 6.32 in winter and lighten to 7.30 in summer.
What I like most about this hair dye is it's applied on dry hair (some others are applied on damp hair which can get drippy and messy), the formula is thick and creamy (not as liquid as other formulas) so doesn't drip, it covers greys (not if you are mostly grey but you're not), there's enough in the box to cover my long hair (some other brands I've had to use two boxes at a time), and it provides a high shine (some dyes make your hair look quite matte, flat and lifeless). It's on special at Boots for £6 right now.

I'd also recommend Colour Wow Root Coverup ( www.instagram.com/p/1BNRBLNc74/ ) for inbetween your colourings to touch up any white hairs exposed at your roots.

I've also just purchased The Hair Experts Root Touchup ( www.instagram.com/p/BHnqycLgCZs/ ) I'd say it works really well too and is far cheaper as it's on special for £6.99 at Boots right now.
However I'd say it seems to provide slightly less coverage than Colour Wow - but it's still really good.

skblondie Wed 10-Aug-16 22:46:18

It depends on the result you want....in the salon I work at we could free hand apply the colour to certain areas (if u only have greys at the temples for instance) if u don't mind seeing a few greys still then you can have a t-section of foils done, targeting around the parting and hairline but if you have grey all thru your hair you'll have to go for a full head tint to start to cover it all and will have to go back every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. Hope that helps ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now