Would this coat be an expensive mistake?

(67 Posts)
JonahAndTheSale Mon 08-Aug-16 08:01:48

this camel coat

It would be the most expensive thing I've ever had.

I've wanted a camel wool coat for years and, in the picture at least, this is exactly the style I'd love.

It'd mean I'd could buy nothing else this Autumn or winter for many years

Please be honest, would this be worth the money.

Is it nice?

I know it probably doesn't look as if it cost that much and some people would think it's ridiculous to spend so much. I probably think it's ridiculous to spend so much! Arghhhhh, should I order it?

I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

please tell me it's hideous

LimpidPools Mon 08-Aug-16 08:03:40

MaxMara coats are beautiful. It's beautiful. If it fits you perfectly, then no, it's not a mistake.

I would if I had the money! I had a similar style but a cheap high street version a few years ago and I wore it loads. I'm not particularly fashionable though so you might want to ignore me grin

WottyMcWottFace Mon 08-Aug-16 08:11:13

I like it (not helping 🙈)
Camel coats are v expensive, I've seen Karen Millen ones for £350 and Zara for £200 and if you go on net a porter £1000+ But you may be able to pick up a 'inspired' high street one a lot cheaper.
I'd say it's more down to your own finances .... If you like it and can afford it go for it. If your stretching yourself and living on beans on toast for a month to buy it then just wait smile

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 08-Aug-16 08:13:40

I don't like the stitched seams to the front and back - without them, it'd be a perfect, classic coat, imo.

Buttwing Mon 08-Aug-16 08:14:39

It's a beautiful coat and a bit of an investment piece. If you can afford it go for it. You need to make sure that you are going to get lots of wear out of it. Even though I love it, I personally wouldn't buy it as I just wouldn't wear it enough as I'm a sahm, I'm always pushing a buggy so need a hood and I'm not usually dressed up but if your lifestyle is a bit more glam than mine (really not hard!) then you should go for it!

I did however buy a ridiculously expensive monclear coat a couple of years ago that I wear to death and I don't regret a penny of it. A beautiful coat can make an average outfit look amazing.

Coconutty Mon 08-Aug-16 08:17:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gruach Mon 08-Aug-16 08:21:52

Order it.

Once you have it in front of you you'll know whether you feel ecstatic or disappointed.

I'd say you can't get anything better than a MaxMara camel cost. The one you've chosen actually looks more expensive than it is - the stitching (enlarging the pictures) is beautiful. Absolutely love the cuffs.

I would personally probably prefer one with less darting - and a more flowy shape to accommodate layers and layers underneath. But it's probably very warm anyway. And lovely!

JonahAndTheSale Mon 08-Aug-16 08:23:11

Thanks, I do love it.

wotty I did have a quick look and saw that there are camel coats on the same website for £1000+ I wonder what makes one so much more expensive than another?! Even within the same brand such a difference in price!

I'm normally a size 10 so wonder if size 10 in this brand would fit. Maybe I should size up.

botemp Mon 08-Aug-16 08:29:46

If you're going to buy a good quality camel coat than Max Mara really is the place to go, I have one and it still looks brand new years later. The material and cut is really distinguishing. The only issue I have with it is that it can be quite formal looking and isn't as versatile as I expected but it's kind of nice at the same time to dress around it. I just wouldn't have it as my only coat iyswim.

I would suggest you visit a Max Mara shop instead though, they usually have several models and colours and it's really worth trying different ones. Also, they tailor it for you (it was free when I bought it), didn't think it would make such a huge difference but taking in the hem slightly and shortening the sleeves made an already beautiful coat that much better and look custom made.

Gruach Mon 08-Aug-16 08:30:27

More expensive versions would be cashmere. They really are astonishingly gorgeous and last forever (if you arrange a no tolerance moth policy ...)

Don't size up - the shoulders would be all out of proportion and speak against the subtly delicate, feminine shape. (Just pretend I'm an expert on these things.grinblush)

timelytess Mon 08-Aug-16 08:33:10

I love it. Its beauty and simplicity make me want to weep with joy. If you look good in it, buy it. Cashmere would be good too.

FashionLover1 Mon 08-Aug-16 11:13:20

It's a classic piece so no it wouldn't be a mistake.

teaandcake789 Mon 08-Aug-16 11:20:45

Oh it's beautiful. An absolute classic that will last for years and years!
If you can afford it then most definitely buy it

Flippertygib Mon 08-Aug-16 11:22:47

It's a nice coat but MaxMara are known for outrageously expensive/overpriced clothing. I'm sure you'll get an equally as nice one somewhere else for less than half the price.

Liiinoo Mon 08-Aug-16 11:24:25

It is a shedload of money but if you love it go for it. A good coat will last for years so you will get value from it.

Floisme Mon 08-Aug-16 11:24:40

I don't really believe in the idea of classics. They may work for other people but they don't for me, because it's not only fashion that changes, so does your body and suddenly that 'investment' you thought you would wear for ever just doesn't suit you any more.

So if you think you would wear this coat every single day of this winter (never mind the years ahead) then I would say yes, it's worth it. But even then, only you know if you can actually afford it. However if it's something you would keep for 'best', then no.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 08-Aug-16 11:29:14

That's stunning, but you need to try it on smile

Rikkitikkitemper Mon 08-Aug-16 11:30:45

It is nice, but it doesn't sound like you can afford it.

MrPony Mon 08-Aug-16 11:34:07

Do you have the rest of your wardrobe to match?
If I bought that it'd be teamed with jeans and converse every day! As long as the rest of your wardrobe is in that sort of style then I'd say go for it

ImReallyPleased Mon 08-Aug-16 11:37:57

Go ahead and buy it I'm sure it will look lovely on you, price is very reasonable.

Gruach Mon 08-Aug-16 11:38:49

You're so wrong MrPonygrin (Sorry but ...)

The whole point of one beautiful thing is that it elevates the rest of your wardrobe and makes you feel "dressed" regardless of everything else going on in your life.

candykane25 Mon 08-Aug-16 11:38:52

It's classic and will go with everything and will last for years. Myself I get too bored so would tire of wearing the same coat everyday and year in year out.
But if money was no object, yes I would buy it myself, it's lovely.

Didiusfalco Mon 08-Aug-16 11:47:47

i do believe in classics. Ive had a black wool coat since 1997 - its never really been out of fashion. if you love this and when it arrives it fits you beautifully then go for it. Max mara are known to be great quality and so im not sure you would get quite as good at half the price.

GinIsIn Mon 08-Aug-16 11:49:10

I have a maxmara camel coat. My mum bought it in 1986. It still looks brand new - go for it, it's an investment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now