Talk

Advanced search

Grown up fashion for pear shapes

(22 Posts)
twoandahalftimesthree Sun 07-Aug-16 00:51:37

I have cleared out my wardrobe today and I really need help for a refresh.
I have no idea what shops to go to for new clothes now. Being a 10 on top and a 12 on bottom pear shape I have worn almost nothing but skater dresses for years, but I want to mix it up a bit and at 5'7 a lot of high street shops dresses are too short for me (or I'm getting too old at 41).
I love the oversized top and skinny jeans look which a lot of my friends wear but it is awful on me- I look like a potato! Tops must be fitted in style for me but hardly any tops are now. WRT trousers only bootcut/flares look any good on me so I will just have to wait till they come back into fashion before trousers are an option for me (trust me on this, a friend insisted skinnies suit anyone and made me try some on- she told me immediately to take them off, she was wrong)
I want to find a label which I can rely on to have stuff that flatters me, I love Mint Velvet style but again most of their stuff is flowing and shapeless. I need to find a label that reliably designs for my shape, I trawl through big sites like asos and its overwhelming with the amount of stuff but I rarely find anything I really like. Suggestions please.

SimplyNigella Sun 07-Aug-16 07:32:04

I'm a similar shape and look infinitely better in skinny flares than I do regular skinnies. I have a couple of really nice pairs from Gap and ASOS so might be worth checking there.

For tops I find Baukjen, Me+Em, &Other Stories, Finery and All Saints usually have a top or two that suits me.

Sugarandsalt Sun 07-Aug-16 07:37:27

I'm an hourglass and have the same problem! I'm thinking of getting a personal shopper tbh. I have finally lost enough weight to fit into my sisters lovely clothes but they all make me look like I'm wearing pyjamas.

Dakin1 Sun 07-Aug-16 07:39:33

I am a similar shape and have found high waisted trousers with a tight top tucked in really suits my pear shape.

Trousers like this: http://m.topshop.com/h5/product?productId=25349179 - not necessarily that colour

twoandahalftimesthree Sun 07-Aug-16 09:28:17

Sugar, totally get what you mean about looking like you're wearing pyjamas. Neither my sister or any of my friends wears the same size as me, so I have no one to borrow from ever. I would try a personal shopper but there's only John Lewis round here that offers the service and I rarely find anything I like in JL.
Dakin, the wide leg trouser is a look I used to go for back in the 90s so should prob have another try. The other issue I often have with trousers is that if they fit me on the hips they're massive on the waist, so it does take a lot of trying on before I find anything.
Nigella, I really like Baukjen, I'd not looked at them before. There's a lot of lovely jersey dresses that would be great on top for me but I can't help wishing that they were A line skirts rather than slim fit, not only would that be more flattering but also at work I need some freedom of movement and pencil skirts I find a bit too restrictive. I will try some tho if the jersey if stretchy enough they might be ok.
I have just realised quite how fussy I am!

SimplyNigella Sun 07-Aug-16 09:40:42

I agree on the Baukjen dresses and skirts, I do order them occasionally in the hope that they might flatter but they never do. The tops always work on me because they are fitted enough to flatter my shape. Look out for a discount code though, they were usually some floating around.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 07-Aug-16 09:47:33

Isn't there jeans that lie between skinny and bootleg. In my mind l call them straight but that might be made up. I got some in Next. They call them cigarette l think. So don't cling tightly to leg but lovely.Nice high waist and so comfortable. I also have to always wear a nice belt as that looser waist is a problem. I'm years older than you, 12 on top 14 on bottom. Also if you find a good fitting pair my tip is buy 2 in different shade as each shop is so different so grab while you can. I wouldn't wear skinny jeans.

Iwantawhippet Sun 07-Aug-16 14:56:46

Same problem here. I end up getting waists taken in on skirts and trousers and the back taken in on dresses. Clothes look infinitely better if they fit well. I find a few things in Hobbs. But it is a bit dull/classic.

I find that I look best in things that define my waist and fashion just now doesn't. I often look relatively smart because the more tailored clothes look better on me. So a dress with a belt and then a cardy over the top to make it more casual. Am hankering after a denim jacket to throw over the top too.

Have you tried a shirt dress? Sounds like one with a full skirt might work well.

Iwantawhippet Sun 07-Aug-16 15:00:43

Wrap dress:

www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0216-5026-9045L00&productvarid=0216-5026-9045L00-NAVY-12&refpage=dresses

Iwantawhippet Sun 07-Aug-16 15:11:26

Belted shirt dress:

www.marksandspencer.com/waist-tie-shirt-dress/p/p22443041?image=SD_01_T42_6846_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp

twoandahalftimesthree Sun 07-Aug-16 15:12:25

whippet, yes tried shirt dresses but again they're too big on the body but tight on the arms and over hips. Size-wise I am a probably more of an 8-10 on my body with size 12 arms and at the larger end of 12 on the bottom! My waist and rib cage are quite tiny (compared to the rest of me!) so I have to have definition there, but it really isn't in fashion!
I too end up looking smart and really struggle when it comes to casual wear. I also like winter much better as there is so much more that suits me. I have very heavy legs too so can only wear shorter dresses with thick tights or leggings- summer is a challenge esp when hot. I usually go for maxi dresses but often these can look overdressed.

twoandahalftimesthree Sun 07-Aug-16 15:14:40

Hobbs dress is lovely

Nepotism Sun 07-Aug-16 15:18:10

Some of the more fitted stuff in Cos would work and the quality is excellent.

herbaceous Sun 07-Aug-16 15:50:54

I have this problem, well until my waist started to disappear (thanks menopause), and was noticing one fashion the young people are wearing that's good for us pears - structured midi skirts, with a defined waistband, with tight top.

This kind of skirt. Lovely colour, too!

twoandahalftimesthree Sun 07-Aug-16 16:46:55

oooh yes, loving that skirt herbaceous!

SimplyNigella Sun 07-Aug-16 18:53:01

I have the waist tie shirt dress too, really didn't expect it to be flattering but it is and I could size down which is always a bonus --because I'm shallow-

SimplyNigella Sun 07-Aug-16 18:58:35

and also apparently can't type cross throughs

twoandahalftimesthree Mon 08-Aug-16 13:01:00

I've just sized down too! I am also shallow wink This dress just arrived from asos, they only had an 8 left so thought i'd try it, and its a perfect fit. V flattering, I have no occasion to wear it though so will have to create one...
Its not really helping with my capsule wardrobe plan.
www.asos.com/little-mistress/little-mistress-plunge-front-chiffon-maxi-dress-in-floral/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6722768&clr=Nudefloral&SearchQuery=&cid=9979&pgesize=204&pge=2&totalstyles=956&gridsize=3&gridrow=30&gridcolumn=1

Iwantawhippet Tue 09-Aug-16 22:11:01

I saw this on another thread - might the full skirt be good? But maybe it's too close to fit n flare.
sophia dress from Boden:

m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/clearance/womens-dresses/shirt-dresses/wh987/womens-sophia-shirt-dress?awc=1669_1470776744_c89aff3b6336cb0f831eb05673890083&sc=6T2C&cm_mmc=AWUK-_-78888-_-AW16-_-text&utm_source=Affiliates&utm_medium=AWUK&utm_campaign=AW16
Another thought is culottes .... Can be very flattering as fitted at the waist but up to date in style. Might be worth having them taken in so they fit on the waist.

chocolatecheesecake Thu 11-Aug-16 21:16:56

Like you I'm a 10 on top, 12 on bottom, 5'6. My latest buy is the Asos Bethany dress. It's a midi dress in a thin indigo cotton, fitted bodice and full skirt ( but not pleated or gathered so doesn't add volume). It does crease but can be dressed up or down and highlights waist. It's got me thinking that midi dresses/skirts might actually be ok on me where previously they'd always seemed to drown me.

WhoisLucasHood Thu 11-Aug-16 21:27:44

Show off your cleavage and shoulders. Bright colours/ prints, frills etc draws the eyes up. Fitted high waisted bottoms/ pencil type skirts, embrace the curves.

Cellardoor23 Thu 11-Aug-16 23:01:54

I'm a pear shape too and I find high wasted trousers/jeans with either a V neck top or a scoop neck top tucked in a little bit in the middle of the trousers is flattering. I also find wearing a Breton top balances me out a bit. I wear skinny jeans and I don't think I look bad confused I actually prefer them as any other trouser unless flared makes me look 2 sizes bigger than I am! It all depends on what you wear on top as that's what you want to accentuate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now