Talk

Advanced search

Best tips for clothes buying on a budget

(14 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Sat 06-Aug-16 16:09:46

Both for children and adults... charity shops? Ebay? Sales?
How can I make my money go the furthest? What's a false economy and what's worth doing?
I have a never ending need for more clothes (both for myself and DC) but limited funds!

OldJoseph Sat 06-Aug-16 17:05:35

A bit like food shopping, you probably need a list and a budget to start with, then spend the most money on clothes that will be worn the most and are functional and necessary such as winter coats.

Ebay can be good if you're sure that the clothes will fit, second hand clothes sellers don't necessarily take returns just because it doesn't fit. Unless an item is described in detail I usually don't bother bidding or if I'm keen I ask questions about measurements and so on. The number of sellers who describe something along the lines of 'nice blouse' without even a colour description is silly.
Also watch the p&p charges on ebay.

Supermarkets are pretty good value for clothes these days and Sainsburys regularly has 20% off (although returns arn't free).

Charity shops are pretty hit and miss, you might have a good one nearby. Sometimes they charge too much for something you could buy new. I've not found too many boys' clothes in charity shops either.

It's the same old time vs money situation...if you have the time, are organised and do your research you can get bargains.

OldJoseph Sat 06-Aug-16 17:08:26

Oh and get yourself on mailing lists as well, then you'll know when there's a sale / discount on the horizon.

sooperdooper Sat 06-Aug-16 17:11:32

I can totally understand a need for never ending clothes for dc but why so many for yourself? Can you mend things or adjust things to make them last longer?

maggiethemagpie Sat 06-Aug-16 18:37:53

It's pure greed I'm afraid sooperdooper! Although in my defence I have changed size a few times over the past few years through two pregnancies and lots of diets (put on /lost four stone in 5 years) so I went through a period of being a different size every year, although I have stabilised over the past year or so.

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Sat 06-Aug-16 18:42:39

Do check out all your local charity shops to work out which ones are worthwhile in terms of quality and price. Then dash in often, whizz through the rails and keep an open mind.

Lottapianos Sat 06-Aug-16 19:08:49

Very much agree with planning and making a list of what you need

If you see something you like, ask yourself:
- do I already have something in my wardrobe that will make this into an outfit? The answer had to be yes
- can I wear this daytime / nighttime / Summer / Winter? The answer has to be yes to at least 3 out of 4

Antoninaisintheroom Sat 06-Aug-16 22:20:30

First rule of buying on budget is 'think of what you need, not what you want' - so not easy smile
- I never buy anything full price - I wait for sale, codes, buy in outlets etc.
- Primark is expensive - clothes fall apart, look terrible after a few washes, better quality can be bought with the same price tag in sales
- I buy children clothes months/year ahead when I see them in sale, so when they need summer clothes/winter jackets etc. I'm not panic buying. My 6mnths old son already has things for 1-2 yo. I just picked them up cheaply in next, h&m sale
-In Next sale I try to go in the morning to have better choice, for other sales I wait for 70% off, and because I buy ahead so I hardly need anything urgently, I'm not bothered what will be left, and I buy only what I like and is cheap. Today I ordered some nice dresses and blouses from Boden for my daughter, which were 70% off. They are good quality but I would never have bought them full price. I also set myself garment budget - the dresses were around £10 and I don't like paying more for a dress .
- Ebay is tricky as used clothes can be anything - don't know until you get it.
- charity shops are better as you can see what you are buying.

That is more less my way of doing it wink Looks sad, but I really enjoy looking for bargains. grin

Lurleene Sat 06-Aug-16 23:04:32

Car boot sales are far cheaper than charity shops and the best thing is you usually find lots if the same sizes on a stall.

DD started a new job recently and we kitted her out with a work wardrobe for less than £10.

roseteapot101 Sat 06-Aug-16 23:14:34

i go to car boot after car boot it takes a lot of searching but i generally get we need.I got a big pile of jeans for myself for a fiver once

Mozismyhero Sat 06-Aug-16 23:38:49

Car boot sales are great as clothes are often cheap. Charity shops in more affluent areas can be a bit more expensive but tend to have better choice and newer clothes.

idontlikealdi Sat 06-Aug-16 23:44:46

I live in a very normal area but the charity shops 10mins away in a very 'posh' area are always worth a look. I find sainsburys good too for work stuff and their vanity sizing always helps me feel goodsmile

junebirthdaygirl Sun 07-Aug-16 01:53:16

Look at your clothes and think what 2 things could l buy that would make lots of outfits out of present clothes. So a new top that could be worn with jeans and a skirt. Or a nice short jacket that would change a dress and jeans. Never buy unless it's going to lift a few things you already have.
For dc buy summer stuff now in sales for next year focusing on definite outfits not random stuff.

Kittykatmacbill Sun 07-Aug-16 07:30:14

Children's clothes i find that eBay bundles can be really good value for branded stuff. I think otherwise sales gap is really good at the end, lidl is great for tshirts, fleeces and pjs, but if you buy leggings cheaper than next dd1 destroys them or they are over washed before she grows out, so a false economy.

Clothes for yourself keep a list of things you actually need... Don't deviate from this! Never buy anything that isn't in the sales. Charity shops require more time and effort and can't be shipped effectively with preschoolers in tow :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now