Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to have different shades of foundation for summer and winter?

(23 Posts)
noisyrice Fri 05-Aug-16 20:38:52

My friend has always bought a darker shade of foundation (only slightly) in summer and picked the lightest shade she could find in winter. Also she would take the darker shade on holiday?!

I don't understand, is this the norm?

I'm confused as to whether I should do the same as I am a natural redhead with cool colouring, but after getting burnt in the garden blush I've become all brown freckly and a bit reddy brown on my nape and arms, but not really everywhere else?

I'm hoping someone can help me,

Thank you!smile

rollonthesummer Fri 05-Aug-16 20:44:49

Yes-I do tend to go slightly darker with my foundation in the summer.

I do tend to struggle with matching the colour though as my face is a different colour to my neck (especially in the summer as my face ends up tanned and my next doesn't). Am not sure how to get round it?!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 05-Aug-16 20:49:13

I need different shades.

I don't always bother with it in the summer, but when I wear something, tinted moisturiser it's definitely a different shade.

I don't always use the tube up and save it for the nest summer and it's always been ok.

Vvlgari Fri 05-Aug-16 20:51:43

I have Face Atelier Ivory then one of the darker mixing shades for summer and just add a drop of that to the Ivory.

BrillianaHarvey Fri 05-Aug-16 21:08:04

I have two shades of the same foundation which I blend in varying proportions as I get more/less tanned. Agree that neck is a problem: I tend to take my foundation out over the jawline and blend into the neck where it can fade out in the shadow of the jaw (if that makes sense).

hollieberrie Fri 05-Aug-16 21:16:47

Yes. I wear ELDW.
In the summer months I just get a sample of it in a darker shade. The sample pots are pretty generous and I manage to make it last a good couple of months usually.

dragonsarebest Sat 06-Aug-16 07:59:23

Yes, my skin is not the same colour in July and January. I mix two shades in the inbetween months too so hopefully I always have a decent skin match.

hugoagogo Sat 06-Aug-16 08:07:39

No, but I wear factor 50 and only wear concealer and bb cream anyway and only a little of that. It doesn't get anywhere near my neck.

SortItAhhht Sat 06-Aug-16 10:36:47

I do it.

I wear Bourjois CC cream and use a shade darker in summer, as I fake tan.

chipsandpeas Sat 06-Aug-16 10:59:35

i also use different shades depending on how tanned my skin is, so slightly darker in summer and paler in the winter

Absolutelynothingelse Sat 06-Aug-16 11:37:09

Yes I always have different shades.
I use a Matt bronzer on my neck to blend it in.

Trills Sat 06-Aug-16 11:51:28

If your skin is a different colour in summer and winter then yes.

If your skin in the same colour all year then no.

maggiethemagpie Sat 06-Aug-16 15:22:33

I tend to go a shade or two darker in summer, I tan very easily and the tan takes a long time to fade.

I tend to use a tinted moisturiser in summer (Liz Earle skin tint in beach) and a foundation in winter (ysl ink fusion)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 06-Aug-16 15:29:46

Yes I do too.

MabelFurball Sat 06-Aug-16 21:58:53

I only use translucent powder in the Summer. Any foundation or BB cream (whatever the shade) tends to slide off about 2 secs after being applied.

janethegirl2 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:00:01

I don't understand the point of foundation. Why use it?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 06-Aug-16 22:03:00

Really Jane?

dudsville Sat 06-Aug-16 22:03:23

I mix my own ELDW for winter and summer allows for the transition when I inevitably go a bit redder in summer. Whatever the season though I have to blend to my collar bone to achieve consistency.

janethegirl2 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:04:49

Seriously chardonnay, never got to grips with it. Doesn't look natural and can't see the point of it.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 06-Aug-16 22:09:08

If it doesn't look natural then you're using either the wrong one or too much.
Or maybe you're blessed with perfect skin and you always look good in which case well done you!

janethegirl2 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:13:24

Not so sure I have the perfect skin tho! 😀

moonfacebaby Sun 07-Aug-16 16:32:54

I just add a bit of bronzer to my foundation & mix it up on the back of my hand - seems to work a treat.....

GingerLDN Tue 09-Aug-16 19:24:17

Body shop do drops you can add to lighten or darken your foundation. Great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now