Talk

Advanced search

Can any hairdressers give me some advice please?

(11 Posts)
Wenchelda Fri 05-Aug-16 16:55:00

My hair seems to be in terrible condition at the mo and desperately needs something doing with it as all i ever do is stick it in a pony tail and ignore it because it's so horrible! The texture seems to have changed and it feels so coarse and dry all the time. It is quite fine but there is a lot of it. If I leave it to dry naturally, it turns into a big frizz ball. Even when I straighten it, it doesn't look great, and I end up just putting it in a pony tail anyway. I'm thinking maybe I should try and embrace the natural waves/curl but even if I use some sort of curl booster product, within a couple of hours it's frizzy again 😩 I've wondered for a while if some sort of permanent wave treatment would help? I remember a friend at school having a permanent wave, rather than a normal curly perm. Not sure if such a thing even exists anymore?

It's all one length at the mo, but would need some sort of layering if I do have it curly. I've always hated layers in the past as when I straighten it, I end up looking like I've got 2 separate hair styles.

I've switched to sls free shampoo & conditioner (body shop rainforest range) but if anything my hair feels worse since changing, not better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

crazybek Fri 05-Aug-16 16:58:37

Hey.
It needs deep treatments as normal conditioner will only coat the surface and not sort the problem out.
Your best bet is to go into a salon and ask for a wet stretch test (any decent salon will know what this is and why without it you wont know if your hair needs protein or moisture)
Ask for the right treatment and aftercare to take home and do yourself and build up the levels in your hair.
It will take a couple of weeks but you need to keep it up.its just like skin,if you don't moisturise for a couple of days it suffers.

Indecisivejo Fri 05-Aug-16 18:01:02

I'm so sorry to hijack your thread op but to the hairdresser that replied can you recommend any shampoos and conditioners for damaged hair? I did wet stretch test and it stretched a little then broke so am lacking moisture and protein sad but I hate anything heavy that leaves residue or makes hair greasy. Please help

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 05-Aug-16 18:18:29

I think you have a few options,
-Go back to shampoos with SLS in. Unless you are allergic, they are more effective in cleaning your hair of oil and grime,
-Clarify your hair, it may be suffering with product build up which coats the hair strands, making it unmanageable and feeling dry. (the best shampoo for this is Vosene once a week)
-Get a trim,
-Try using oil treatments, deep conditioning treatments and serum before styling.
I would be wary of a perm if your hair is in bad condition.
-

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 05-Aug-16 18:21:18

Jo Try Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer treatment. Wet hair, apply, cover with a shower cap for 20 mins, then shampoo/condition as usual.

Wenchelda Fri 05-Aug-16 18:37:41

Thank you - I will definitely follow this advice as some drastic action is needed to make my hair look decent again!

crazybek Fri 05-Aug-16 20:04:51

Hair that stretches but snaps needs protein and hair that's rigid and tight needs moisture but can look the same whichever its lacking.
Oils are good as a coating but are cosmetic rather Tha structural.
You need to find products that rebuild the levels back up.
Ocs do a full range of reconstructors without sls or plastics in them and I believe redken do a similar range.
Anything off the shelf in my opinion wont do the job.
I've repaired hair that's been literally ribboning and snapping off using the ocs range and have done for 20 years so know the difference in what to use and what to avoid.
If you look on their website they have a salon locator that you could go to for the stretch testing and advice.

Indecisivejo Fri 05-Aug-16 20:54:43

I was told if it doesn't stretch and just snaps it needs protein, if it stretches but doesn't spring back if needs moisture but if it stretches a little and then snaps it needs both moisture and protein! I'm the latter sad

crazybek Fri 05-Aug-16 21:23:34

When hair is wet and not filled with plastics or products a few strands should be pulled gently between your fingers.
It should stretch to within a thur of itself and back.
If it feels tight and theres no give,it needs moisture to loosen it up,if it stretches and doesn't return,or stretches and ribbons or breaks it needs protein to harden it up,fill in the bonds and strengthen it back to where it should be.
I've worked by that rule fir over twenty years and it works for my clients all the time.
Good luck guys and remember the better the condition and structure,the better it will look smilesmile

Indecisivejo Fri 05-Aug-16 21:59:49

I got my info from the ocs website!

LimeLeaves Sat 06-Aug-16 22:12:22

My hair was like this. I had a Brazillian Blowdry which helped a bit, but when it wore off I went for Xtenso straightening treatment. My hair is curly/wavy and it didn't get rid of the wave or volume, just made all the frizz disappear! If I air-dry it falls into soft silky waves, if I dry with a hot brush and hairdryer it goes really smooth and sleek with lots of bounce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now