Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what your kids are wearing

(26 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 09:28:32

Coat wise.

The usually simple act of finding a decent reasons priced coat for school in September has proven to be far trickier this time.

I have searched everywhere I can think of and there is nothing we like that didn't cost 70 plus pounds which I'm not paying.

I've tried very, M&S, next, tesco, sainsbury, roxy, bench, fat Face and debenhams.

Nothing suitable...

Was hoping to source now rather hand struggle in winter to find one.

So if there's anywhere I have forgotten....

It's for a 10 yr old Btw

SendARavenToRiverRun Fri 05-Aug-16 09:46:58

Probably not the most fashionable but DD 11 will be wearing last years 3in1 ski jacket type thing. It's from Decatholon and was about £45. It's amazing. Warm, waterproof wind proof. It'll be passed down to DD. 2 who's 8 when she outgrows it.

Younger child is wearing the same but a different colour.
Dd1 is off to high school in sept so I imagine it'll just be the blazer and freeze to death look confusedgrin

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 09:48:41

grin

Yes her previous coat has lasted well it's just too small now.

Will check out decathlon.

Passthecake30 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:48:51

Coats in September? Mine will st most wear a rain Mac from mountain warehouse until November...and then a coat from asda/tescos/Matalan, it's too early to shop for them now surely?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 09:52:11

I know it's early. But I always leave things to the last minute and then can never get what I want as the sizes are all sold out...

Limited shops available in my home town and having been through the mad race round town trying to find something then having to fork out for next day delivery online I figured I'd try the organised approach this time...

Mycraneisfixed Fri 05-Aug-16 09:54:31

Try shops like Mountain Warehouse, Blacks, GoOutdoors. Proper warm and waterproof coats there.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 05-Aug-16 10:02:21

For winter ours wear ski coats. Usually a really good make like Tog24 £59-£60 for last year's range bought from outlet centre. We generally manage to pass them down.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 10:11:56

Ouch...

There are 4 years between my dds so hanging onto stuff for 4/5 years til it fits isn't really something I'd planned to do.

Willing to change my mind if we spot something we like....

I'm starting to think I've committed a huge faux pas buying the fashion style coats..blush

BellaVida Fri 05-Aug-16 10:24:56

We go for 3 in 1 style coats, with the fleece and put waterproof layer. Warm and fully washable.
Easy enough to get from Mountain Warehouse, Blacks etc.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 05-Aug-16 11:41:55

We don't buy coats every year, either, so dc get at least 2y in a coat. It doesn't have to fit precisely, 1 or 2 sizes too big is fine.

Is he going into Y6? Because he may only need it for one year at school. Our 2ry schools don't have anywhere for the kids to hang coats. They have to be carried around all day, so most of the kids don't bother with them.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 05-Aug-16 11:42:20

Sorry, 'she'.

QueenofLouisiana Fri 05-Aug-16 11:47:35

Mountain Warehouse waterproof. Bought for Scout mudfest Winter Camp. Washed it afterwards and he wore it until it got too hot (about mid June I think!). Apparently it's warm and waterproof but not heavy and didn't get in the way when scooting to school or playing football (although I think it was mainly a goalpost). DS is 11.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Fri 05-Aug-16 11:51:28

GAP do a padded ski jackety parka-type thing in a few colours every year. I think they are approx £50 so slightly cheaper than the performance wear brands. I get them slightly too big so they get two years out of each coat, and they last well enough for that <tightwad>.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 11:54:00

She's going into yr 5 so not quite 10 but nearly)

So obviously just 2 winters before off to secondary. So was hoping not to spend a huge amount

MirrorMirrorOnTheFloor Fri 05-Aug-16 12:02:58

I just got a black, padded , showerproof coat with a hood in Lidl for £9.99. I usually go for proper waterproof but the kids found the ski types too crackly and prefer the softer, padded ones.

SecretMongoose Fri 05-Aug-16 12:05:52

Another recommendation for mountain warehouse here, we always get coats from there in the sales for £20-£30.

RatOnnaStick Fri 05-Aug-16 12:07:55

DS1's is a 3-in-1 affair from Mountain Warehouse. We tried a smart high street coat last year and he split seams and trashed it so this year is functional and hopefully hardwearing.

ReActiv Fri 05-Aug-16 12:09:35

Is it a winter coat that you're after?

I get my daughter's from Gap, and have done for the past few years. I buy them a year ahead in the sale (usually half price), keep them by, and then they fit her for next winter.

Just checked, and the ones I bought in the last sale aren't online anymore, so I can't link to them.

The Autumn one is a 3 in one jacket. It has an outer trench coat and a detachable fleece-lined floral short jacket. Then if you attach both together, you get a very warm coat indeed. I've found the inside jacket to be a much smaller size than the outside one though. So the inside jacket fits her just now. But the trench part is still too big. So will keep that by.

The winter one i get each year (for half price) always has the "warmest" something or another in its title. The styles vary each year. Really warm and durable. And has great reviews. Think this may be a bit too warm for wear in September though.

RatOnnaStick Fri 05-Aug-16 12:13:15

this

MegBusset Fri 05-Aug-16 12:15:54

Mountain Warehouse or Trespass are good for decent quality winter coats, they often have sales on.

Notso Fri 05-Aug-16 12:31:43

I usually get school coats from H&M, TK Maxx or Boden if Jonnie sends me a tenner and a discount code. Sometimes Next though wasn't happy with the lady one from there.
Mine don't wear really thick coats for school though. We live across the road and they get too hot running around at playtime in a thick coat. Usually the shell coat from H&M or the fleece anorak from Boden does the job. DS2 has a North Face one I got in TK Maxx sale for £7.

Notso Fri 05-Aug-16 12:32:42

the *last one from Next not lady one!

BertrandRussell Fri 05-Aug-16 12:36:52

Disconcertingly, 15 year old is wearing nothing- not even a duvet. He is still asleep- and his bedroom door is open. I just saw more than I wanted to on the way to the loo...........

SortItAhhht Fri 05-Aug-16 12:40:30

They wear a light rain coat until October half term, usually.

Got DD's winter coat in Zara last year. £30 and very warm and good quality.

DS is harder to buy for as is an 11 yr old in an 18 yr olds body shock. Never get anything decent for under £60 for him angry

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 05-Aug-16 12:53:08

Ooh I like that one in purple....

bertrand you have my sympathies.....

Yikes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now