Which cheap (supermarket?) jeans/jeggings have the narrowest waist?

(30 Posts)
Katymac Fri 05-Aug-16 09:19:54

Please

DD struggles when they fit her hips there are hands full of aterial at the waist

She needs some black jeans/jeggings or even casual trousers for work - help?

Katymac Fri 05-Aug-16 09:47:02

I wonder is it hands full or hand fulls?

jclm Fri 05-Aug-16 09:48:45

I have the same problem. I go for elasticated waists, and I shop at marks and spencers. Not sure about the supermarket brands sorry x

mrssmooth Fri 05-Aug-16 09:52:01

I would suggest H&M - 2 of my 3 dds are very skinny (particularly dd3!) and H&M skinny jeans always seem to fit them really nicely. If all else fails, could you stitch the waistband at the back to gather it in a bit - if you do it in 2 sections rather than just one, it looks fine? (My dsis does this for my dniece who is also a skinnyminny.) I feel your pain trying to find trousers to fit - my dds are very leggy and skinny, not a great combination as far as finding trousers to fit goes!!!

Katymac Fri 05-Aug-16 09:54:09

Skinny jeans often don't fit over her calfs - she must be an odd shape!

I hadn't thought of elasticating the back myself - we may take some back from the charity pile to have a look at

charliethebear Fri 05-Aug-16 09:57:58

H and m I find are the worst if you have a big difference between waist and hips. They are very straight. Topshop I find are the best but they are obviously quite expensive, and Tesco are often not too bad. For smart trousers I like m and s but again they are fairly expensive.

charliethebear Fri 05-Aug-16 09:59:02

I have a small waist but larger hips btw. And also muscular calves so maybe we are the same shape?

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:59:51

Try M&S. They do loads of different jegging styles.

Katymac Fri 05-Aug-16 11:32:12

Thanks Guys - we picked up some from Sainsburys as we were in a hurry - but we may take them back

Interesting Charlie - do you cycle,dance or something else?

LoloKazoloh Fri 05-Aug-16 13:18:08

New Look high waisted super skinnies - they are jeggings really, and stretchy enough that you can size down to fit the waist. They have dropped in quality loads and are still too big on my waist after a few washes, but of the millions and millions I have tried those are still probably the best high street ones. But trousers are impossible generally.

I'm 5'10 long bodied, waist of 27, hips around 39, for comparison.

Hagothehills Fri 05-Aug-16 13:22:53

Out of the supermarket ones I would say Tesco have the best hip waist ratio if you have a narrow waist. I have a very narrow waist 27" but my hips are 36", it's a bloody nightmare!

I get pants/jeans to fit my hips then (used to take them to a tailor) take the waist in a few inches.

also have an extensive collection of belts

MySecondName Fri 05-Aug-16 14:21:21

I was going to say Tesco. I always struggle to get jeans to fit as my waist is smaller than my hips/ thighs. I hve a pair of Tesco jeggins and they actually stay up and fit well all over.

MySecondName Fri 05-Aug-16 14:28:39

Oh and defintley not m&s! They are made for those without a waist/ with very small hip/ leg: waist ratio.

rightknockered Fri 05-Aug-16 16:58:16

My daughter has a very small waist, although she is just 6 and definitely doesn't have hips, she can still fit into clothes made for 2 year olds. I have a few years of experience in taking clothes in. I usually sew a couple of inches at each side of the waist, or add a bit of elastic to both sides. If the waist is elasticated and can be opened up, I take the whole thing out if possible and cut it. If it can't be removed, then I make a few snips is 4 places, evenly spaced , and sew.

Katymac Fri 05-Aug-16 17:15:32

Her waist is 25 & her hips 37!!

Poor poppet nothing really fits 'well' - good job She wears Lyrca most of the time

Hagothehills Fri 05-Aug-16 18:00:41

Also avoid asda, I'm convinced that some of their waists are actually bigger than the hips

Ruddle91 Fri 05-Aug-16 18:52:19

I wear tesco clothes. My waist is loads smaller than my hips. Loads of places don't fit me.

charliethebear Fri 05-Aug-16 18:57:56

Those are my measurements and I think Tesco are probably the best

NicknameUsed Fri 05-Aug-16 23:00:11

My waist is 12" smaller than my hips and I found my holy grail in White Stuff Jade jeggings. I now have three pairs - denim, navy and charcoal.

I also have a pair of relaxed skinny jeans from M and S that are a good fit.

Katymac Sat 06-Aug-16 20:39:29

Tesco have no cheap black jeans or Jeggings sad

The white stuff look lovely but she can't afford £40 sadsad

Non-fitting jeans may have to be bought

chocdonutyy Sat 06-Aug-16 20:46:00

Not sainsburys! I have the same problem and sainsburys stuff just gapes at the back,.
I'm borrowing my sisters sewing machine next week though and may attempt a little adjustment!

lljkk Sat 06-Aug-16 20:53:46

Next sold a sexy curvy pair of jeans, not so long ago, for those of us minimal of waist. Not precisely cheap, but not dear either (under £30).

Primark & Topshop is where I would also look, for a teen.

ChickyDuck Sat 06-Aug-16 21:04:55

I know other posters have said not M&S, but I swear by their 5 pocket jeggings. My measurements are 28/38 so bigger than your DD but not dissimilar ratio. They are lovely and stretchy and very comfy, and I think £19.

ChickyDuck Sat 06-Aug-16 21:05:39

Btw, they are called jeggings but definitely proper jeans with fly fastening, pockets, rivets etc!

Katymac Sat 06-Aug-16 21:15:14

She works back stage so she has to wear black but she is climbing and rigging & stuff so great big baggy jeans are dangerous

I fear we will have to go to town to try some shops!!

But it's horrid havig to spend on 'workwear' iykwim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now