Talk

Advanced search

best bet for lasting holiday nail polish and/or are the 2 step ones by revlon etc worth it?

(32 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 04-Aug-16 13:14:46

I'm going on holiday but don't really want to top up nails continuously after chipping.
What are your recommendations for high street brands that last reasonably well.

Also, I was tempted with the revlon 2 step polish in pocket aces. But £16 for the two bottles? Is it worth it? Or better to save the pennies and get a cheap one and hope for the best?

Buttwing Thu 04-Aug-16 14:47:58

I have Rimmel at the moment which I've been quite quite impressed with but nothing lasts more than a few days for me especial on holiday with all the swimming and sand. I would have shellac done, it's indestructible!

keeponkeepinon Thu 04-Aug-16 14:58:40

Shellac and gels etc just destroy my nails. They are left so thin and weak.

seefeld Thu 04-Aug-16 15:16:31

I bought an Essie Couture varnish and topcoat the other day on special offer from Boots. Really pleased with how they look on my toes but haven't had it on long enough to say whether they will last the advertised 14 days (they're supposed to be like gels, without the UV setting stage). I was really impressed with the brushes though - nice and thick paddle brushes which made the application really easy. And the colour - a coral - is nice and bright.

MrsPear Thu 04-Aug-16 16:10:35

Well for the first time ever I had a manicure yesterday and despite doing umpteen housework - including dishes - and packing three suitcases; I don't have one chip! She used opi varnishes. The hardest point was choosing a colour!

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 04-Aug-16 16:29:33

Do you mean these Revlon ones?

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/revlon/revlon-colorstay-gel-envy-117ml/invt/0070382

They're not that pricey everywhere.

If so, I really like them. I have a bright pink and a pale nude. No base coat, two coats of colour, one of the special top coat. Lovey brushes. Dry super fast, really hardwearing and no staining underneath, which I was a bit worried about due to the lack of base coat.

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 04-Aug-16 16:31:00

I think I have Lady Luck and Checkmate, both gorgeous, though the former, and Pocker Aces are much more holiday!

Euphemia Thu 04-Aug-16 17:06:17

I use Seche Vite on my toenails and nothing shifts it!

Tessticklesyourfancy Thu 04-Aug-16 18:29:20

I've only had Shellac once and it looked very shabby by day eight. I ended up removing it on day nine as it looked so bad. I used solar oil twice a day but had to four nails and very noticeable gaps between the polish and cuticle. Personally I'd rather take a couple of normal nail varnishes and some remover pads to make them look decent then have tatty looking gel. I had some of the Revlon two bottle stuff a few years ago, didn't know they still made it, I found it lasted well so I'll have a look for some more now.

SaoirseLikeInertia Thu 04-Aug-16 18:36:10

The Sally Hanson 2-step stuff is quite good, although I have it in a few shades and the darker colours seem to last longer than the paler ones. I usually have to top up my thumbs and index fingers though, regardless of the brand I use

MooMinCow Thu 04-Aug-16 18:47:43

The Revlon one wears really well (7days + on me) but I found the top coat took ages to dry/cure(?) properly. It was touch dry quickly but got scratches/sheet marks hours after I applied it. I've seen it in the shops with a 'new' sticker so maybe they've improved the formula?

Might try the Essie one next

keeponkeepinon Thu 04-Aug-16 18:56:43

I think it was that revlon gel envy one. I fancy pocket aces or lady luck for hols. There were two top coats in superdrug. One which I presume was the normal and another which was diamond or something. I just wondered if it was worth the extra cost or just keep reading applying a cheaper one. And if I still get sheet marks overnight it will drive me bonkers!

keeponkeepinon Thu 04-Aug-16 19:02:12

Barry m have fab colours too but they always chip on me.
Thanks for the link Anne but not sure I'd have time for postage now. £15 from superdrug tho! It'd have to be pretty good for that!

TwentyTinyToes Thu 04-Aug-16 19:07:27

I am very impressed with the Barry M ones, I also used their base coat, topcoat and nail hardener (one pot) and it is brilliant. Two thin coats of polish with the base and top coat and it still looks good two weeks later.

bingohandjob Thu 04-Aug-16 20:23:03

Rimmel 60 second ones - but take time to base coat and top coat and let each coat properly dry. I've just come back from fortnight holiday - lasted perfectly for 10 days then just a few chips I topped up! Perfect on toes for whole time. Used great bright red Double Decker as thought a classic colour and easy to go with most of my black/silver/white/greys wardrobe. I've used loads of different polishes - cheap to expensive. For me, Rimmel 60 seconds the best.

Tangfastics Thu 04-Aug-16 21:46:13

I can't do gels or shellac either as the acetone soak leaves my nails like paper.

I am currently using rimmel super gel (not gel) and am finding it pretty good for the price.

keeponkeepinon Fri 05-Aug-16 00:46:45

When you say, put on a coat and let it dry properly, h owes long do you leave between coats? If I have time to spend on it it'll be with a glass of wine on a Friday night when the children are in bed. Otherwise I can't sit for more than about 10 mins, and I'll have been caught with sheets imprinted into the paint all too often. How long to leave it? If only there was a magic curing wand that would keep your nails perfect for 2 weeks!

Curlgurl Fri 05-Aug-16 00:52:18

Barry m gellys are really good

keeponkeepinon Fri 05-Aug-16 20:13:46

I shelled out for revlon gel envy and it's gone on all streaky! Grr! Had to put a third coat on some nails and it won't level out! I can't understand how such a bright colour can go on so see through. Not at all impressed I feel like taking it back and getting a cheap one instead. The stuff is too expensive to come out like this!

EveryoneElsesMumSaidYes Fri 05-Aug-16 20:18:07

Never tried any of the two step nail colours. I use seche vite and I find it makes even the most rubbish nail polishes last much longer, up to 7 days and it gives a lovely shine too.

keeponkeepinon Fri 05-Aug-16 20:22:50

Where can you get seche vite? I've never seen it in store. I think I would have been better getting that and a cheaper polish instead. It's almost as if this one has gone a bit gloopy and needs chucking out.

Whatthefoxgoingon Fri 05-Aug-16 20:27:30

Kiko topcoat makes any colour last about 5-6 days for me, no chips.

sugarmonster64 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:31:56

I like cnd vinylux. Mine lasted a week on fingers and have been about 3 weeks on toes now. Can order from Amazon and get set including polish and top coat

eurochick Fri 05-Aug-16 20:38:11

I've bought the OPI gel type stuff (kit with base coat and top coat) and I'm quite impressed. It lasts well.

eurochick Fri 05-Aug-16 20:41:03

It's called Infinite Shine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now