Talk

Advanced search

How to get eyeliner to stay on

(29 Posts)
wonderwoo Mon 01-Aug-16 20:17:35

I like to wear eyeliner on my top lids. Sometimes a pencil (at the moment I use Bourjois Kohl, and sometimes a pen (No.7 stay precise at the moment - this is a felt tip style pen because I haven't the patience for the brush type ones).

However, it never lasts very long - half a day at most. I do not wear eyeshadow, and apply it to a bare lid - is this where I am going wrong? Can anyone advise me what should I do instead? (I wear minimal, natural make-up, so nothing with too much faff would suit me)

Thanks.

coffeemaker5 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:25:51

no idea but I use the rimmel liquid Eyeliner and it lasts all day.

I think it's more to do with the product tbh. I've had plenty which won't stay, but have got on well with:

- Estee Lauder double wear (gel) - apply with an angled or thin brush
-Urban decay liquid
-urban decay 24 glide on pencil
-Nars waterproof pencil
-Stila waterproof pencil
-Smashbox gel

I have tried many many others which have had a lifespan measured in minutes rather than hours.

Fairylea Mon 01-Aug-16 20:42:29

Collection liquid liner is the best I've ever used and it's only £2.99. Stays until you take it off.

Believeitornot Mon 01-Aug-16 20:43:00

Eye primer?

Madlizzy Mon 01-Aug-16 20:48:57

Seventeen tattoo me is the very best eye liner I've found. It is applied with a brush, but it's worth it. If I'm lazy and don't clean my make up off at night, it's still there, almost perfect, in the morning.

RobberBride Mon 01-Aug-16 20:50:40

Seconding Collection felt tip liner £2.99 - I wear it on bare lids (apart from serum and moisturiser) and it lasts til I apply micellar water at night. I'm always rubbing my eyes at work, and this stuff doesn't shift. It kicks the ass of every other eye liner I've tried.

wonderwoo Tue 02-Aug-16 09:01:48

Ah brilliant - looks like I need to go shopping! Thanks for all your replies.

wonderwoo Tue 02-Aug-16 09:05:35

Sorry, another question...Is the Collection eyeliner the "fast stroke" one?

www.superdrug.com/Collection/Collection-Fast-Stroke-Eye-Liner-3-8g-Brown-6/p/228818

StarStudded Tue 02-Aug-16 09:12:39

Barry M liquid liner stays on all day- I apply it to a bare lid and it's often still perfect the next morning if I haven't taken it off. Barry M khol pencil is good as well.

I got quite an expensive max factor gelt tip one as a present and feel guilty as it doesnt last more than a couple of hours so i don't use it!

Botanicbaby Tue 02-Aug-16 10:26:14

You need gel eyeliner as PP says.

Ones I've used and recommend are:

Bobbi brown
Estée Lauder double wear

You need a decent brush but once it's on it stays on all day.

I've got them in various colours however have noticed that the sparkly metallic ones dry out quicker in the pot than the standard colours.

Kennington Tue 02-Aug-16 11:05:25

Wipe off moisturiser with a tissue before applying eyeliner
I use no7 stay perfect but it is the pencil one.
I might need to touch up on a v hot day.
Any oils on the lid stops the pigment sticking well

SecretLimonadeDrinker Tue 02-Aug-16 11:13:08

Urban decay 24/7 pencil solved this problem for me.

RobberBride Tue 02-Aug-16 22:22:16

Collection felt tip liner: www.boots.com/en/Collection-Extreme-24-Hour-Felt-Tip-Liner_1160659/

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 02-Aug-16 22:23:52

Maybelline gel liner. Stays like a good 'un

Oscha Tue 02-Aug-16 22:36:12

You probably have oily lids-it's v common. You need a primer underneath. MAC paintpots work brilliantly. Painterly and Groundwork are good matte nudes, and there are others in loads of natural tones.

KittyKrap Tue 02-Aug-16 22:45:13

The Maybelline one is like a wet sharpie with a long, fine point. Stays all day.
flicks eyelid flicky* things*

RobberBride Tue 02-Aug-16 23:06:17

sorry to keep banging on about the wonder of Collection, but I have very oily skin and lids. I don't do eye primer or drying my lids out with tissue, I apply serum, then moisturiser, and ten minutes later I chuck on the Collection felt tip one. I have about 30 seconds to do anything I need to it (smudge, smokey) or I can do flicky lines, then I make sure I leave it alone for five minutes, and then it sets and doesn't budge til I apply micellar water. If I'm too tired gin-soaked to remove it, it is still pristine the next morning.

littlepooch Tue 02-Aug-16 23:19:36

Another vote for collection here too

wonderwoo Wed 03-Aug-16 09:01:23

Thank you all! Well Collection is obviously popular, and so cheap - I am going to start there. Just wish they did it in brown - black looks a bit harsh on me. Thanks for all your tips.

wonderwoo Wed 03-Aug-16 09:02:24

Ignore that - they do have it in brown, just not in Boots.

dragonsarebest Wed 03-Aug-16 10:49:47

Urban Decay used to make a eyeliner "sealant" that you painted over eyeliner, like Lipcote for eyes I guess. Not sure if they still make it though. helpful

oliviafrombolivia Wed 03-Aug-16 14:39:49

game changer, you can smudge a gel liner! Trying that right now, never knew that.. thank you.

CheeseEloise1 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:26:26

I got the Collection one in brown at my Boots yesterday

Canters15 Wed 03-Aug-16 18:56:41

Bit of urban decay eye primer works for me. I do have super oily lids though.

Tempted to run out and buy this collection eyeliner of the gods as life would be simpler if I could ditch the eye primer....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now