Talk

Advanced search

How to add volume to hair?

(13 Posts)
99littleducks Sun 31-Jul-16 12:27:20

I have awful hair. It is fine and flat but simultaneously frizzy. I have some kind of frizzy halo thing going on hmm

Whatever hair style I try doesn't seem to work because my hair is too flat to support it.

How do I add volume? Is blow drying necessary? Some kind of mousse? Velcro Rollers perhaps? But also something that tames frizz. confused

Please guide me

Skitttles Sun 31-Jul-16 12:47:46

Hmmmm you could try a volumising shampoo, loreal do some but I would go to lush and just speak to someone as they're super helpful and really know their stuff. Also get a light conditioner and blast your hair with cool water after washing it to help seal the follicles and reduce frizz.

Argan oil will also help with frizz but not sure on fine hair if it'd be too heavy. In terms of volume though, I've been using Toni & guy sea salt spray and think it's fantastic! I was a back comber blush then stopped when I saw the damage it created so switched to the T&G spray on recommendation by my hairdresser and it does a wonderful job of giving a bit of left and structure to my hair.

I also use sleep in rollers just give it a bit more shape. Air drying hair can leave it frizzy but so can blow drying. You could use a heat protecting spray and blow dry or leave it in a towel for as long as possible then put it in rollers/straighten it/braid.

99littleducks Sun 31-Jul-16 17:58:43

Ah thank you fo the tips and for the toni and guy recommendation. I'll look into that.

Are there specific rollers for sleeping in?

purplefizz26 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:03:23

I use batiste heavenly volume dry shampoo, even after it has just been washed. It adds texture and hold, without the hardness hair spray and mousse seem to leave on my hair. Batiste pluming powder is also good!

Skitttles Sun 31-Jul-16 18:11:54

I get mine from boots, they do small medium and large. They stay in really well and they're squishy so I don't notice if I end up sleeping on them. They're quite cheap too!

bomfunk Sun 31-Jul-16 18:16:15

Babysliss big hair, plus a fine sprites of hairspray on damp hair - followed by a spray of batiste. Crimp the roots of the underneath layers.

LordEmsworth Sun 31-Jul-16 18:20:01

Your hair sounds like mine. I get by with lots & lots of products... Treatments to stop it frizzing (oils/deep conditioners/conditioning shampoos), and mousse for styling - plus head upside down to get volume to roots. Sometimes use Aveda thickening spray, sometimes dry shampoo or Aveda Pure Abundance which is a powder that goes gel-like when you rub it in (I like Aveda hair stuff grin) in the roots, and once it's there lots of hairspray. Sometimes wax (chin length at mo) to give definition, the Aveda light whipped one is great. Took a lot of trial & error before I got to know what works though. It's too short for straighteners now but when it was longer, they really helped.

OlennasWimple Sun 31-Jul-16 18:24:53

Couple of blasts of dry shampoo right at the roots under the bit where you want the lift

PedantPending Sun 31-Jul-16 18:37:36

I used to have very long (think sit on it long) very fine, but thick hair. Fast forward 40+ years and I now have quite short, rather thinner, fine hair. I use Alterna, don't know if you can get it in the UK, but they have just brought out a volumizing spray. It totally works.

99littleducks Mon 01-Aug-16 01:34:26

Thank you for the tips. I've ordered a few things and will see what works. Fingers crossed smile

NeonPinkNails Mon 01-Aug-16 06:46:58

I've just discovered John Frieda 7 Day Volume and am very impressed with it.

Nabootique Mon 01-Aug-16 08:18:47

I'm with NeonPinkNails. It is very good! I also got the root booster and blow dry spray from the same range, although I don't think you really need both. If I want really big hair then I also use an XL dry shampoo, the Collab one.

Easiest tip though is to put dry hair up in loose ponytail on top of your head at night before bed. When you take it down in the morning it has more oomph, which you can then enhance a bit and set.

orangeistheonlyfruit Mon 01-Aug-16 08:19:38

I don't use hardly any products but here's what I do do:
Wash hair with Charles wprthington thicker and fuller shampoo. Tresemme red pot only on ends for 5 mins.

Put in turban wonder around till it is not soaking wet/towel dried (I don't rub my hair dry)

Spray John Frieda root boost into actual roots of hair like lift hair and spray underneath next to my scalp so I can feel the spray on my scalp.

Tresemme heat protector only on ends.

Dry upside down with hot hair dryer til totally dry and I mean head upside down not just thrown forward. Finish with cold blast.

Tip hair back up and take too 2/3 up into loose bun right on top of head literally near the front of your head.

Apply make up for say 10 mins.

Straighten ends of the hair that is already down (the other 1/3 that didn't go into the bun)

Take down another section from bun and straight only ends.

Until there is a section right on top of head.

Take band off you used for bun.

From the back take an inch square ish section and use straightening irons near the roots and run the iron vertically straight up the hair and back and then leave it to sit at the back of your head. Do the same with next section. Do the same with the front section.

Let it sit there a minute or so to cool and run your fingers through moving hair to front or side or whatever.

Spray hairspray into hands and rub hands through roots of hair, under your top layer of hair.

At this point both your hair and make up are all done! This works very well for me with my fine baby hair actually helping me achieve the root lift. Try it? If it doesn't work nothing lost smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now