Talk

Advanced search

If you've got sensitive skin/rosacea, how do you remove make up and cleanse?

(21 Posts)
RobberBride Wed 27-Jul-16 22:21:57

What cleanser(s) do you use and how do you remove it? Do you use a cloth or cotton wool or have you found a cleanser you can just rinse off?

I've got oily, sensitive skin. I don't cake on make up, but I do wear an spf moisturiser, primer, and usually some bb cream or mineral make up.

To cleanse at the moment I either use micellar water with cotton pads and then wash with LRP Toleraine, or I use a cleanser like Boots Simply Sensitive, remove it with damp cotton pads, then use a gentle fragrance free toner with cotton wool pads. I'm as gentle as I can be but my face seems to look a little red at the end. However it is better than when I used to use a flannel, that definitely pissed off my skin.

Has anyone found a one step make up remover/cleanser that they can just rinse off with water? I keep eyeing up Clinique TTDO, but I don't want to end up having to use a flannel to get it off.

Any advice would be great - thanks!

Blueberryblueberry Wed 27-Jul-16 22:33:01

The best thing I've found for cleansing and also for washing my face is aqueous cream. I've got really awful skin, not spotty as such but roseaca, oily patches, dry patches, eczema... Since just using (cheap) aqueous cream with cotton wool to cleanse and then to wash it's been loads better. I also can't use any sort of face cream apart from diprobase which I get on prescription but I think you can buy also? I tried so many expensive premium brands and this is all that works. For £1 it's possibly worth a go id say? Even if just as a face wash?

SilentlyScreamingAgain Wed 27-Jul-16 22:36:10

Cetaphil. It's not the best for removing mascara, especially not if you wear mascara for greasy people, but it's the only thing I've ever cleaned my face with that doesn't stink and the red, angry, itchy blotches are a thing of the past.

RobberBride Wed 27-Jul-16 22:41:34

Thanks both. Aqueous cream and diprobase both made me break out (too heavy I think) but I'll give cetaphil a go.

MrsDeathOfRats Wed 27-Jul-16 22:44:01

I use Simple.
I use their cleanser toner, moisturiser, face wash and wipes.
There are a few expensive brands that don't effect my skin but I'm not flush enough for them!
Simple works well here!

CancelTheCheque Thu 28-Jul-16 02:54:35

Try a makeup eraser. Works with just water and softer than a flannel.

Lolimax Thu 28-Jul-16 03:29:38

Liz Earle for me. The hot cloth cleanser has made a massive difference to my rosacea.

Aquamarine70 Thu 28-Jul-16 04:30:09

I'm not sure if you can get the Avene range in the UK but that is good for roseasa & sensitive skin.

Indecisivejo Thu 28-Jul-16 07:27:32

What's ur budget

Destinysdaughter Thu 28-Jul-16 07:37:29

I use Boots pink cleanser and L'oreal Micellar water. La Roche Posay moisturiser. I try to keep it as simple as possible as there are lots of ingredients that can irritate this kind of skin as I'm sure you know. I don't use hot cloth cleansers, they just irritate my skin.

Minesnotahighhorse Thu 28-Jul-16 07:42:20

Another vote for Cetaphil. It was recommended to me by a posh Harley St dermatologist and it only costs a tenner! Completely transformed my sensitive angry skin.

rubybleu Thu 28-Jul-16 10:54:04

Cerave hydrating face wash - very similar to Cetaphil.

I like Bioderma micelllar water in the rosacea variety ("AR") and I use Clinique take the day off balm, which rinses off - you don't need a flannel.

QueenofLouisiana Thu 28-Jul-16 11:23:03

Darphin rosewood cleanser. It smells lovely and is gentle on my skin. I use their chamomile facial oil afterwards in the evening. It seems to calm my skin down.

Savagebeauty Thu 28-Jul-16 11:27:16

Dermaligica ultra calming cleanser for me

SpecialAgentFreyPie Thu 28-Jul-16 12:27:10

I use a microfibre cloth and a cheap charcoal cleanser. Not only does it remove even heavy makeup gently, it has done wonders for my craters pores

RobberBride Thu 28-Jul-16 22:51:21

Thanks very much all. If you don't need to use a cloth with Clinique's TTDO, I might have a go with that. Avene and Simple don't work well on my skin. I might try cetaphil for the morning wash, I'm not sure it will remove make up.

Specialagent which charcoal cleanser do you use?

LakeFlyPie Thu 28-Jul-16 22:55:41

I use micellar water to remove mascara and Cetaphil on my face.
As PP have said the Cetaphil has made an amazing difference to my rosacea (and is so much cheaper than all of the other extortionate potions I'd tried in desperation before I discovered it)

manandbeast Thu 28-Jul-16 22:58:47

OP I have rosacea.

Please please please try Clinique anti redness solution - cleanser and moisturiser. They will honestly change your skin.

Aside from rosacea I also had bumpy forehead and spots. Since I starred using these (at 35!!!!!!) my skin has been the best ever (aside from the sagging and wrinkles!).

Wish I'd found this sooner!

manandbeast Thu 28-Jul-16 23:00:55

Ps have also heard cetaphil is recommended for rosacea and some avene products (though they didn't agree with my skin).

Hot cloths are known to aggravate rosacea.

RobberBride Thu 28-Jul-16 23:08:18

Manandbeast does the redness solutions get your makeup off? I've got some, and it is lovely as a face wash but with rinsing only doesn't seem to shift even light make up (judging by the residue on my towels).

BuggersMuddle Thu 28-Jul-16 23:46:50

I have rosacea. I'm quite crap at remembering to cleanse tbh, but I don't wear much make up. When I do, I like Clinique - their eye make-up remover is fab. I sometimes even use Simple wipes when I'm in a hurry blush

Biggest difference I found for the rosacea was wear Clinique City Block in factor 40 every day. I was wearing an SPF foundation previously (and sometimes still do, but wear less make-up in the summer) but moving to a proper facial sunblock made a big difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now