Talk

Advanced search

Next stage of my reinvention - the perfect jacket.

(6 Posts)
ilovecherries Tue 26-Jul-16 11:37:12

I am gradually sorting myself out, but today came to the realisation that my outerwear consists entirely of gortex or waxed jackets. I live in the northwest, so that's actually not as unreasonable as it sounds, but it leaves me completely stuck for days where it's not raining but too cool for no jacket. I'm 55, and although I'm 5 foot 7, I've a really short torso and huge boobs (36 JJ/K). Please advice me the styles I should be looking at. I'm trying to move from 'a scruffy ex hippy look' to understated elegance. I'm pretty comfort driven though!

carrie74 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:57:54

I wear a variety of jersey jackets (mine are from Whistles), a denim jacket, a leather biker, I have a tweed blazer that I sometimes wear, and a frayed collarless jacket from Zara. None of them EVER done up, I think that's the key.

ilovecherries Tue 26-Jul-16 12:08:55

The challenge I'm having is that anything too structured or a stiff fabric is sticking out a mile in front of me (even open), and making me look much bigger. But in unstructured, they all seem to be waterfall fronts, or have a breast pocket (the last thing I need!). I really want a woman's version of a man's jacket, I think!

ilovecherries Tue 26-Jul-16 12:11:16

Would this work? www.navabi.co.uk/product/mottled-boucle-boyfriend-blazer-38165/?colorcode=0300

DelphiniumBlue Tue 26-Jul-16 21:14:08

I'm short waisted too, and found a great shaped jersey jacket in Asda, which had no lapels but quite a sharp cut, with zip pockets, and slightly pointed dipped front hem, which made it look quite waisted. Looks fine with jeans or more formal dresses.
Obviously you can get much better quality than that, there are a lot of jersey jackets around. Have heard people rave about Uniqlo, but the largest size was too small on me ( 18, 38E). Might be alright on you though, you have a narrower back.
I think if you are large of boob, tailored is better than loose. Just make sure the shoulders fit, and you can leave it open to accomodate boobs.
Waterfall can be pretty, but can be quite too Per Una style ageing!

ilovecherries Tue 26-Jul-16 22:18:15

Never thought of asda, will check them out in the morning, and Sainsburys and Tesco as well. Uniqlo doesn't work for me either, I usually need a 20 to have at least some boob coverage at the sides, even if I'm not fastening it - otherwise you meet my chest 5 mins before the rest of me appears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now