Outlet village shopping

(15 Posts)
chough Tue 26-Jul-16 10:10:49

Are there genuine bargains to be had ( I like Jaeger), or are some lines of clothing made specifically to sell in the outlet shops.
Just wondering if the quality is the same.

Nanasueathome Tue 26-Jul-16 10:13:16

They are usually previous season
Good bargains but can be hit and miss
If you see something you like (and need) you would have to buybit there and then as turnover is quick
I like Bicester and Gunwharf Quay for outlet shopping

NeedACleverNN Tue 26-Jul-16 10:17:58

We have an outlet shopping centre here and there are some nice things to buy at good prices.

But they are last seasons so don't go if you want something currently in fashion.

I get loads of children's clothes from
Next and Marks & Spencer's at a good price. They last a while too. Shoes from Clarks at a good price. Books that are sold cheaply.

teaandcake789 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:34:26

Tend to be last season clothes or second quality but we go there for Clarks shoes for the kids, m&s for kids clothing, gap for jeans, body shop etc. Depends what you are after. High fashion then leave well alone. A cheap samsonite suitcase then get yourself down to one

emilybrontescorset Tue 26-Jul-16 10:36:24

I used to buy Clarks shoes when the dc were small.

I don't ever seem to find many bargains for myself though.

chough Tue 26-Jul-16 10:52:54

Some good ideas, thank you.
It seems the thing to do is go with an open mind and have a look around.

SauvignonPlonker Tue 26-Jul-16 19:00:44

Which outlet are you near? I really like Cheshire Oaks; I go there every year for a shopping trip in the run up to Christmas.

peekaboo1 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:07:45

A lot of items are made specifically for outlet stores. Same applies at TK Maxx. Quality is lower. The real bargains are the old season stock as they are original quality so it helps if you can recognise that.

chough Tue 26-Jul-16 19:09:54

Sauvignon, I'm about fifteen minutes away from Cheshire Oaks.
Do you recommend any particular stores?

SauvignonPlonker Tue 26-Jul-16 19:51:56

I like the Coast & Joules shops for me. Gap, Next, M & S for kids. North Face, Timberland & Ralph Lauren for DP. There were some lovely handbag shops - Mulberry etc

There's a visitors centre which has maps - we got a 10% extra discount card for use in some stores with it.

chough Tue 26-Jul-16 20:08:00

Thank you, Sauvignon, I think it was around Xmas that I last went there, but you've renewed my enthusiasm now.

SauvignonPlonker Tue 26-Jul-16 20:22:20

Me too! Going again in November. If I lived as close as you, I'd be there every day bankrupting myself!

Pisssssedofff Tue 26-Jul-16 20:47:07

GAP is all seconds or where they have tried a new supplier to give them ago and it's not quite up to scratch. In all honesty most outlet stuff is clothes they couldn't shift in the sales, do you actually want what they couldn't even sell for half price ?
And it's no cheaper than when it was on the high street in the sales either. I was quite shocked at the cheek of them.

AnotherDayInParadiseLost Tue 26-Jul-16 20:49:02

Lots of the clothes in these places are cheaper versions made for the outlet stores, and not such a massive bargain after all.

peekaboo1 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:51:43

Anotherday is spot on. Product is manufactured for the outlet channel so that the margins are the same as full price non outlet product. It uses lower quality materials, cheaper embellishments or more basic designs. Outlet centres are big business and there is not enough seconds/unsold merchandise globally to be able to sell in all the outlet malls and TK Maxx branches that have sprung up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now