Talk

Advanced search

Hot weather clothes help!

(16 Posts)
TheLittleMe Mon 25-Jul-16 21:13:24

I am in a bit of a fashion rut. I am 28 with two kids. I am a 12 bottom, 10 top, only 5ft 2. Often feel quite dumpy, could do with losing a stone I guess. I own literally no summer/hot weather clothes. I am shopping tomorrow, as going a abroad somewhere hot hot on Monday. What should I buy and from wear? I literally need a capsule wardrobe. Only caveat is nothing that makes me look or feel old, and nothing too short!

Swifey Mon 25-Jul-16 21:45:17

A cotton shirt dress would be good, and with the tie round the waist, are flattering too. Do you have a specific colour/s that you like wearing and that suit you? Pick that colour, and add maybe navy and white, and try to stick to clothes in those colours. What kind of budget are you looking at?

calzone Mon 25-Jul-16 22:08:05

Next do some lovely things for summer.

I have a couple of throw on dresses from there.

I'm going to Lake Garda next week and plan on taking.....

6 throw on dresses
Linen trousers
3 tshirt
Bikini
2 swimsuits
Flip flops
2 skirts

TheLittleMe Tue 26-Jul-16 07:23:07

Thanks for the replies!

I have olive ish skin and dark hair and eyes, suite autumny colours or coral, bright yellow etc. Nothing pastel. No budget. Will def have a look in next today - hoping it's not just all sale dregs. Will look at cotton dresses. Can people with short muscly legs look ok in shorts?!?

carrie74 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:05:11

If it's hot hot,then look out for natural fabrics, and nothing clingy. You may find you live in swimmers, shorts and vests. Maybe a scrappy sundress or two.

Oldraver Tue 26-Jul-16 16:05:27

Sainsburys have had loads of cotton dresses this year. I have had a lovely linen mix shift dress from Asda and they did several colour ways. I assume other supermarkets have similar. And thats before you hit the high stret.

I've just had the Autumn Next book and there is still lots of summery stuff especially for kids...they dont seem to of gone into full blown winter mode yet

Oldraver Tue 26-Jul-16 16:10:08

This is polyester but they have had some lovely broderie dresses that are not online but still may have instore, this shape is great if you bottom half is bigger to the top

ginorwine Tue 26-Jul-16 17:47:36

Shorts
Vest
Sun specs
Loose boyfriend shirt over the top and sandles work well I think

phoolani Tue 26-Jul-16 21:28:05

I think dresses are always easiest. Preferably fitted, but not tight. Can be dressed up or down. I'm currently sitting in 30 degrees in this www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Oversized_dress_with_silk_skirt/46881-41699299.1#c-22755. And it's lovely.

phoolani Tue 26-Jul-16 21:31:16

I have shortish, muscly legs and find it's the length that does it, a mid-thigh seems to work best and I generally manage to find some really nice ones in gap most years.

phoolani Tue 26-Jul-16 21:31:34

Shorts I mean!

TheLittleMe Tue 26-Jul-16 22:06:58

Thank you all!!

I also love maxi skirts, but can't find any nice ones left anywhere :-(

SeasonalVag Thu 28-Jul-16 07:54:02

Off topic,I know, but in sales I always go to the usual places but in towns with relatively high levels of pensioners......the youthful stuff doesn't fly out the door so quick.

hanbrooks Thu 28-Jul-16 15:59:25

You could take a few pretty scarves and wear them as sarongs? Scarf room have a range of sarongs www.scarfroom.co.uk/sarongs/ but I think you can use any scarf as long as it's big enough! smile

curlyLJ Thu 28-Jul-16 19:33:08

If you have the time (and the will) then ebay have some great bargains, especially if you search by the category you're after (eg maxi skirts) as well as the brands you like.

I have bagged a few things in the last couple of days, including a beautiful French Connection dress for a tenner! I have to admit I have become a little addicted to it and am watching tonnes of other items blush

curlyLJ Thu 28-Jul-16 19:34:11

Oh and there are lots of kaftan/sarong type things on there, but you have to watch the rubbish/cheap stuff - search by brand and you can't go wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now