Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm going to be too hot in the boden ruched skirt on holiday if it's 30 degree aren't I?

(30 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Mon 25-Jul-16 20:35:02

I planned on taking my black and navy ruched skirts and just having a few different tops to put with it but I'm worried I'll just be too hot. Theyre qUnited clingy and warm. What can I have as an alternative that's cheap and I can easily pick up? I am chunky of bump and thigh and I haven't met a pair of shorts that works on meBay my whole adult life! I have a couple of v neck midi drsses from d perkins but could do with a couple of simple skirts that I won't overheat in. Seen any? Maybe a flippy skirt or something? Probably a plainish navy and a black so that I could wear any top.
Any suggestions please?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 25-Jul-16 20:42:54

Is this for the day or evening?

I was in Crete last week and although hot there was quite a breeze. In the day I wore light cotton kaftans over bikini but did wear my ruched skirt one night for dinner with a t shirt.

keeponkeepinon Mon 25-Jul-16 21:00:33

Well more for the evening i suppose really but great if i can wear casual vests during the day but something smarter at night if we wanted to go out for dinner. Nothing very posh. I'm attempting a capsule wardrobe but at the moment I seem to have 8 dresses and 9 tops!!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 25-Jul-16 21:03:04

I massively overpacked despite culling quite a lot at the last minute as DH was moaning about number of items I wanted to take. It pains me to say he was right wink

Honestly I alternated two kaftans in the day over 4 different bikinis - I'd taken some travel wash and it was so hot they dried in about 15 minutes.

I wore a white denim mini skirt several nights with a couple of different tops and a couple of dresses.

Next year I reckon minus toiletries I could do a week in a hand luggage size case.

keeponkeepinon Mon 25-Jul-16 22:12:38

Where did you get your kaftans? I'm looking for cotton ones that'll shield my shoulders from the sun but long enough to cover my rear! My 2 maxi dresses are strapless I have no idea why I have them because I don't do strapless! maybe I could replace these with lightweight cover ups?

Bellyrub1980 Mon 25-Jul-16 22:15:26

I went to Spain recently in 38-42c heat.

Quite frankly, style went out the window in favour of a very floaty hanky hem dress I bought in a Spanish market.

Bambooshoots14 Mon 25-Jul-16 22:17:54

Monsoon have some good kaftans at the moment

needastrongone Mon 25-Jul-16 22:19:31

OP, I don't have any answers, but I do have the Boden ruched dress, am going on holiday on Friday and leaving it at home. It's lovely, and very flattering, but I agree, it will be way too hot for, in my case Florida.

Bummer isn't it? As I love it!

Cakescakescakes Mon 25-Jul-16 22:23:53

I haven't worn shorts for about 10 years - have a big bum and thighs and couldn't find any that weren't too tight or short or too long that they looked really frumpy. I thought shorts just weren't for me.

I got a great navy pair in M&S last week and I love them! They're the cotton rich ones. Plain navy with a turn up. I sized up to a 14 from my usual 12 although they did give a bit so I think a 12 might have been OK after they'd been worn in. They are really cool and lightweight and are the perfect length. Can also roll down the turn ups if prefer longer length. They had black and navy and maybe white? Honestly try them. Only £12.50 too.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 25-Jul-16 22:48:54

I think it will be fine. It's cotton mostly. I'm in 36-42 heat and have a similar skirt from Hush, probably thicker than the boden by the looks, I wear it with vest tops, it's cool enough. You could get take some floatier tops for the evenings.

QueenofLouisiana Mon 25-Jul-16 22:51:59

Yes- much too hot...you'd better send it my way, just do it doesn't go to waste. grin

been stalking the website hoping for a return

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 26-Jul-16 06:32:02

I have this one which is super light.

And this white co one

Kirriemuir Tue 26-Jul-16 07:25:49

The jigsaw one is lovely.

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Jul-16 07:38:55

They are lovely mrs, I'll have a closer look but was thinking maybe something with a shorter sleeve? It's so pretty though.

I had some cotton shorts from m&s a few years ago and they went so baggy around the backside I ended up chucking them. It put me right off! Wish I could wear shorts! They had some boyfriend type ones the other week that were OK ish but they are never very flattering to my backside! What's the difference between boyfriend and girlfriend jeans/shorts anyway?

FionaThePrincess Tue 26-Jul-16 08:02:41

MrsCampbell, I've been looking for long sleeved light kaftans for ages! The Jigsaw ones are perfect, thanks so much. I'm going to get both colours.

Is the White Co one a pinterest link? I can't get that one to work.

Sorry to derail your thread OP!

Nospringflower Tue 26-Jul-16 08:07:18

I just bought the jigsaw one! They only had my size in pink tho or would have taken grey!

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Jul-16 08:08:42

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_17,mon_17.2/9503600254

This is just the shape I am after but it's sold out in my size!sad

mrs2cats Tue 26-Jul-16 08:49:50

Hijacking the thread - sorry! Thanks MrsCampbell, I've just bought the Jigsaw kaftan. smile

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Jul-16 08:58:55

Tempted with that Jigsaw one but decided against as I'll look like a brick with no waistline. i need to find something like that that pulls in a bit at the waist and a shorter sleeve, but cotton! There were some nice ones in next but viscose.

keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Jul-16 10:03:17

Thanks for suggesting Monsoon bamboo, I wouldn't have thought of it. But i've just got this for a bargain:
uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/acc_23,acc_23.4/9975734052

il0vew1ne Tue 26-Jul-16 10:05:45

I bought the blackberry dress to take on holiday and I never wore it once it was far too hot

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 26-Jul-16 10:07:41

The white co one is out of stock online but maybe some in store.

I have the jigsaw one in both colours - it is pretty sheer so over a bikini you can still see your shape.

Glad people have bought it too and bargain price smile

Bambooshoots14 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:23:32

keepon that's the one I've got, and 2 similar ones also. Very comfy and light

FionaThePrincess Tue 26-Jul-16 11:17:11

I've also just bought the Jigsaw one. So pleased with it. None left in grey so I got the pink one.

Let's hope we don't all go on holiday to the same destination at the same time grin

Jessi79 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:54:57

I have just read this thread and bought the Jigsaw one too - love the Jigsaw site. I would have never thought to look there for anything before so thank you, MrsCampbellBlack

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now