Talk

Advanced search

What all my fellow size 16 wearing this summer?

(23 Posts)
OvertiredandConfused Sat 23-Jul-16 22:39:06

I'm really struggling to find anything some bits that I like. Used to be a size 20 four years ago, went down to a size 12 and am now at size 16.

I'm 46, 5'9" and carry my weight on my tummy with a hideous overhang sad.

What I'd love is to feel happy and confident in my body, not fat, frumpy and old!

Please inspire me.

Chocolateteabag Sun 24-Jul-16 09:02:56

What is your personal style? Body shape?

Have you looked at Wrap London or Poetry? Asymmetric loose linen tops with ankle length or Capri trousers/skinny jeans and then superga/converse or leather sandals
Long length necklaces too

OvertiredandConfused Sun 24-Jul-16 11:35:16

Thanks. It's just been too hot for skinny jeans this last week. Plus my tummy really is very pronounced and out of proportion so tops either cling and emphasis it or are too big on the bust and make me look even bigger than I am.

Don't know either brand though so will take a look.

StrawbRhi Sun 24-Jul-16 13:27:41

I'm a fellow 5'9 size 16- was once a 28. I carry most of the weight around my hips and tummy (thanks PCOS) so wear lots of floaty long tops (Next, Mint Velvet, Gap) with a vest top underneath (H&M) , teamed with rolled up lightweight skinny jeans (Primark are a good place for these) and Superga/leather sandals. I always wear cotton control underwear under everything too 😳

Today I am wearing a denim trapeze dress from Gap (currently in sale for £12!) , cinched in with a belt, a nude pink cotton overcoat from Next and White Superga. Other dresses that suit are tulip shaped cotton dresses from the tall range at Next, maxi dresses from Primark and cotton skater/fit and flare style dresses from Very and Fat Face.

So far I haven't felt too hot, until yesterday when I wore a thick cotton checked shirt and jeans because the cloud cover led me into a false sense of security.

Haven't braved shorts yet!

ToastMakesMeHappy Sun 24-Jul-16 13:48:29

I'm 5'8 and a size 16. I'm really struggling this year, went out for the day yesterday wearing black jeans and a long black top, looked really frumpy. Lots of ladies larger than me looked lovely in longer denim shorts with pretty patterned tops or patterned dresses. I felt silly confused

aelah Sun 24-Jul-16 13:57:26

I'm 5'6 size 16. I only ever wear dresses as my weight is on my thighs and arms. Very muscular. I find M+s do really nice fitting dresses. Either limited collection or M+s collection. I hardly ever find clothes to fit my massive arms!

The one I'm wearing here is really perfect for
Me.

gingerbreadmanm Sun 24-Jul-16 14:02:29

maxi dresses and short control pants. beat the chub rub and hold you in all at the same time.

you want the cotton maxis that dont cling. how about the loose cami tops that are in fashion with loose cotton / polyester printed joggers?

gingerbreadmanm Sun 24-Jul-16 14:05:37

this type of thing but nicer pattern

m.newlook.com/shop/womens/trousers/blue-aztec-print-contrast-waistband-trousers_378398649

HeyMamacita Sun 24-Jul-16 14:08:46

Definitely wouldn't have said you were a 16 Aelah smile

aelah Sun 24-Jul-16 14:58:30

Thanks heymamacita but I am a solid 16! If my arms were less wrestler like
I could maybe squeeze into a 14! Ha ha

hollyisalovelyname Sun 24-Jul-16 15:03:56

Dunnes Stores online - a collection called The Edit. Google it. There might be something for you.
Cos is fab.

skippy67 Sun 24-Jul-16 15:57:23

Off topic, but I love your blinds aelah !

witsender Sun 24-Jul-16 16:43:09

I'm a 16, I wear 7/8 trousers or jeans tucked up a bit, the odd maxi skirt or hareem pants and linen tee shirts and jumpers. Then I avoid the sun as Mich as poss, I don't like heat!

misspym Sun 24-Jul-16 18:10:58

Jealous of all you taller people. I am 16 on bottom/18 on top and only 5'2.

I've been living in jersey harems from Next this summer. I have them in navy and in black and they are so comfortable.

I also have cropped patterned trousers from New Look that are very light for warmer days.

For dressier days I have a few White Stuff dresses which are perfect because they are cotton.

OvertiredandConfused Sun 24-Jul-16 18:23:20

Thank you all. Out of the day but lots of ideas to explore

Chocolateteabag Sun 24-Jul-16 20:38:21

I'm 5ft9 and used to be a 16/18 (now a 10 but that is on the 5:2 threads)

When I used to be a 16 and holidaying in Majorca etc - I think I should have worn tunics like this Wrap one in sale with capri length leggings. Or this Wrap blouse also in sale over long ish shorts (and not worried about my knees which even now at size 10 are still pudgy)
Or Poetry tunic also in sale with black or grey bottoms
Guess I was going for these type of styles (Lagenlook on Pinterest if the links don't work)
loose tunic top slim trousers
harems
layers
asymmetric tunic
straight leg trousers/jeans with cool espadrilles

Personally this kind of plus size style looks good but not in any kind of heat. And this type of big on top and on bottom makes you look bigger/older than you are - even if you are 100 and size 40!
whereas loose top slim bottoms looks good here

I hope this helps - ignore me if not. DS2 has chickenpox and I'm sleep deprived so may have drifted into waffling.

MrsAlwaysRight Sun 24-Jul-16 21:02:56

Would anyone mind recommending what cotton control underwear they have? Thanks

SarahJinx Sun 24-Jul-16 21:43:23

I'm struggling too 16/18 here. Big old horrid mum tum over hang and great big arms and thighs, 5,7. Maxi skirts and loose harem pants with vests and camis and lots of fuck it. Work is harder because I don't get legs and arms out there and tend to live in wrap dresses and tights...frowned upon when its 28 + degrees though 😐

aelah Mon 25-Jul-16 09:17:25

Skippy67 they're ikea, 20 each !

acdcfan Mon 25-Jul-16 09:21:36

I'm a 16 and 5ft 2... I've been hiding in jeans and AC/DC tops confused

The sun doesn't like me...!

Euphemia Mon 25-Jul-16 10:51:51

I just got this Uniqlo dress and it's the most flattering thing I've worn in ages!

I'm carrying all my weight in my middle at the moment (fucking menopause!) and this skims nicely over that area. smile

misspym Mon 25-Jul-16 11:39:13

Ooh, I like that Uniqlo dress euphemia. What size did you buy? I haven't tried anything from there.

Euphemia Mon 25-Jul-16 11:44:52

I got it in XL and it actually feels smaller than the other Uniqlo Liberty one I got in L in a different design. confused

I'd order a couple of sizes! I'm 5' 6" and 14-16.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now